7.62x39 ammo question

PDA

yotesmoker
June 2, 2009, 11:26 AM
My dealer has a wood box of1250 rounds of ammo.He says that it is not corrosive but not 100% sure.It is brass but berdan primed.The wood box has 2 hasp type locks on it and the ammo is sealed in a metal tin.On the top it is marked 7.62mm M67.....On the side it is marked.......................................4C2/Y28/S/80 A/PA-02/644. Any thoughts on if corrosive or not?

If you enjoyed reading about "7.62x39 ammo question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sharkhunter2018
June 2, 2009, 11:34 AM
M67 is Yugo surplus. I would assume it to be corrosive.

c5_nc
June 2, 2009, 11:38 AM
Lots of this stuff comming in, it is corrosive as previous poster stated. Its very expensive for surplus corrosive ammo, its non-reloadable so you might as well buy new production steel case for cheaper (unless your range requires brass).

Uncle Mike
June 2, 2009, 11:40 AM
Pass on it.

Marlin 45 carbine
June 2, 2009, 11:45 AM
I've never tryed any of that in my Mini30 but would, I've read it shoots good. it is corrosive primed however so requires spraying down with Windex or similar and wiping.
the empty hulls are difficult to reload due to the primer but can be, I wouldn't.

briansmithwins
June 2, 2009, 11:56 AM
Yugo M67 ball. Bullets are copper jacket over a lead core and non-magnetic. Powder is low flash. Corrosive primers.

I've gone thru about 2k of M67. It's pretty darn accurate and pretty darn corrosive. BSW

yotesmoker
June 2, 2009, 01:59 PM
OK,thanks.....since it is corrosive is it any more corrosive than the other stuff in the market?It's 400 for the box...worth it or not?

briansmithwins
June 2, 2009, 03:47 PM
OK,thanks.....since it is corrosive is it any more corrosive than the other stuff in the market?It's 400 for the box...worth it or not?

Corrosive is corrosive. Proper cleaning with water (or water based cleaner) is required very soon after shooting. If you're the kind of guy that always puts off cleaning stay away from the corrosive stuff.

Rate of corrosion also depends on relative humidity. Under 30% and you probably won't see any rust, I know I didn't when I lived in New Mexico. Here in Oregon shooting in the rain, I've had surface rust start before I was done shooting.

As for if it's worth it or not, I thought so. I need non-magnetic bullets for rifle matches and copper jacket Wolf wasn't to be had for any price. OTOH I wasn't paying $400 a case either. BSW

Average Joe
June 2, 2009, 09:04 PM
Its corrosive, but don't let that stop you, its good ammo. Just wash out with water when finished shooting, then clean and lube as normal.

Sebastian the Ibis
June 2, 2009, 09:57 PM
I keep the M67 as my WTSHTF stash. It's good and it works but I don't really want to use it, so it doesn't tend to disappear.

If you enjoyed reading about "7.62x39 ammo question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!