best way to block a magazine

PDA

dadof6
June 2, 2009, 01:19 PM
wondering what constitutes a permanent block in capacity for a NJ compliant magazine, either M1A or AR? I know the wood block thing no longer is ok. What other ways are there to reduce capacity to 15 that are legal?

Oye. what a place to live in...

thanks for your suggestions.

If you enjoyed reading about "best way to block a magazine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P.B.Walsh
June 2, 2009, 07:26 PM
I love Alabama, and our hi-cap magazines!!!! :)

Maverick223
June 2, 2009, 07:32 PM
I would like to know too...for different reasons. I might want to take my Saiga S12 hunting...and the 5 rounders won't fly. Is there a legal (from a hunting standpoint) way to NON-PERMANENTLY block the mag so I can quickly go back to 5 for HD?

Maverick223
June 2, 2009, 07:34 PM
Oh, and I don't believe that you can be in possession of the mags, even if just to block them, in NJ...don't live there so may be wrong.

lipadj46
June 2, 2009, 09:55 PM
Oh, and I don't believe that you can be in possession of the mags, even if just to block them, in NJ...don't live there so may be wrong.

If they are in pieces then you are OK. Some places will take apart a hi cap magazine and send it to a ban state in pieces and it is perfectly legal. I would say using a lot of epoxy to glue the wood block in would be one permanent mod.

Maverick223
June 2, 2009, 10:43 PM
If they are in pieces then you are OK.Interesting, makes sense. In that case you could probably pop-rivet (or peen rivet if you want a better look with a little more work) to limit the mag capacity. Just measure carefully the distance to hold the appropriate number of rounds, drill the hole, and insert/fasten the rivet.

Could I use a loose wood block in the bottom of my mags for hunting with capacity restrictions?

JDGray
June 2, 2009, 11:23 PM
I have a factory Bushmaster mag, that is cut in half, with a section missing. Its a 30rd mag neutered down to a 10rd, with an aluminum spacer inside that the two halfs are rivited to. Confused?:confused::D

lipadj46
June 2, 2009, 11:25 PM
Could I use a loose wood block in the bottom of my mags for hunting with capacity restrictions?

Should be fine may want to call your local DEC office just to be sure.

Maverick223
June 2, 2009, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the info.

dadof6
June 3, 2009, 12:45 PM
apparently they were changed via letter from the state police, requiring a permanent condition in capacity. So my question is, what is permanent? Apparently the letter changed things in the last few years such that a 'block" of wood does not count. I am wondering if making the tube shorter to only hold 15 rnds is the only way????

Maverick223
June 3, 2009, 12:49 PM
I think if you use a rivet (either pop or peen type) it should be considered permanent. I doubt if hardware such as a bolt, screw, et cetera would meet their criteria. Call your local Sheriff's Dept. or the BATF to find out for certain.

jerkface11
June 3, 2009, 01:08 PM
I've seen NJ followers for AR mags. You just put them in a 20 round mag and it cuts the capacity.

rcmodel
June 3, 2009, 01:13 PM
Early Colt 10-round mags had an L shaped piece of sheet metal pop-rivited to the floor plate that blocked the follower from going down all the way.

Of course it was very easily removed to make them 20-round mags again.

But not without an electric drill.

rc

Maverick223
June 3, 2009, 01:17 PM
I have a 10 round mag for my AR that has a constriction formed in the sheet steel, I wish it didn't because it would make a great 20 rounder. I think it is a Bushy mag.

Maelstrom
June 3, 2009, 01:33 PM
I was looking into this for my brother. He bought an M&P from Florida and had to have the 17 rd mags sent to me.

I'd like to block them to 15 and had considered the bolt through the bottom but don't know if that's legit.

JWF III
June 3, 2009, 02:14 PM
Is there a legal (from a hunting standpoint) way to NON-PERMANENTLY block the mag so I can quickly go back to 5 for HD?

For hunting a block of wood should work. By USFWS, the shotgun must be plugged to a capacity of 3. The plug may not be removable without disassembly. The only thing you'd have to be careful about is to only take plugged magazines (if you decide to carry spares.)

Oh and it is possible to differentiate between different shotguns, and game wardens can count past three. So I wouldn't try throwing a non-plugged one in the bushes. If they know you shot more than three consecutive times, they'll look till they find it.

Years ago, the Feds. were giving out tickets to people "floating" a fourth round in Benellis. (Before they changed that part of the design.) The guns being ticketed had plugs to limit standard capacity to 3, but the shooters were illegally loading them to 4.

I have tried this on a dove shoot with my Franchis (out of boredom early in the shoot). I found that it is much more of a hassle to load (for what you get). And that I'm "pre-programmed" to 3 shots. I found myself reloading after 3 shots, instead of the 4 that was loaded.

Wyman

leadcounsel
June 3, 2009, 02:33 PM
I bet members here that have 10 round mags would be willing to trade for 30 rounders. I have 1 bushmaster 10 rounder i would trade for a quality 30 rounder.

Maverick223
June 3, 2009, 05:38 PM
I bet members here that have 10 round mags would be willing to trade for 30 rounders.Yep, I have a steel bushy 10 rounder that I would be happy to trade for a good 20 rounder...not really interested in 30 rounders though. You can PM me if you like, if not it doesn't hurt my feelings either. :)

dadof6
June 4, 2009, 09:51 AM
that we can have 15 rounds. A 10 round mag is no problem to find. 15 for an M1A is like $40+ ???

So I am hoping to find someone who knows definitively what is considered to be a 'permanent' alteration i.e, a 20 rnd blocked to a 15 round?

the best idea I'v seen thus far is to weld, solder or epoxy a tube (delrin, copper etc) to the bottom of the follower that limits the downward travel. You'd have to disassemble the mag, then cut the tube somehow, to regain capacity. That's why I'm wondering if the only real permanent change is to shorten the mag body?

railroader
June 4, 2009, 10:23 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php Try asking here. These guys do it all the time with 20 and 30 round mags and make them into 10 rounders. Mark

If you enjoyed reading about "best way to block a magazine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!