Lil'Gun vs H110/W296

PDA

bluetopper
June 2, 2009, 09:05 PM
I know both these powders give premium performance in full house magnum large pistol calibers with great velocities...........but I was wondering if Lil' Gun is as sensitive to downloading as H110/296?

If you enjoyed reading about "Lil'Gun vs H110/W296" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bobotech
June 2, 2009, 09:08 PM
I was under the impression that all of those magnum style powders were sensitive to downloading. I'm interested to find out as well.

faire bien de...!
June 2, 2009, 09:40 PM
I'd E-mail Hodgdon for that type of question. That's something I'd want to know right from the horses mouth.

Sport45
June 3, 2009, 09:34 AM
I'd use their recommended "start" loads as a minimum. If you want lesser-powered magnums there is Unique, W231, Titegroup, etc.

The Bushmaster
June 3, 2009, 09:39 AM
You will find that Alliant's 2400 to be a very versitile powder in that it can be down loaded to as little as 12 grains and as high as 18 grains. Depending on the bullet weight.

loadedround
June 3, 2009, 09:52 AM
H110 and 296 are the same powder and Lil'Gun is right above both on the powder burn chart. These powders are designed as slower burning heavy pistol loads or shotgun loads; and as all the manuals state..."never use below starting load"! The basic reason would be inconsistent burning or the possibility of detnotation with reduced loads. As others have stated, there are much better pistol powders available for reduced loads if that's what you're looking to do. Don't try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear! :confused:

Sport45
June 3, 2009, 10:34 AM
Don't try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!

Or in this case, no need to make a sow's ear out of a silk purse. :)

ReloaderFred
June 3, 2009, 12:14 PM
One slight correction: It's not detonation that is the danger of low starting loads with slow pistol powders. It's incomplete combustion, which results in squib loads, and a bullet stuck in the barrel.

With that said, I now prefer Lil'Gun to either 296 or H-110 in all my heavy bullet magnum pistol loads, since it gives higher velocity, fewer pressure signs and great accuracy.

Hope this helps.

Fred

ArchAngelCD
June 3, 2009, 04:16 PM
With that said, I now prefer Lil'Gun to either 296 or H-110 in all my heavy bullet magnum pistol loads, since it gives higher velocity, fewer pressure signs and great accuracy.
I agree with Fred. I'm using Lil'Gun with all my heavy bullet Magnum loading now. I like the fact the pressures are lower yet it delivers the same velocities as W296/H110. No reason to beat up your revolver (or yourself) for no reason...

buck460XVR
June 3, 2009, 07:10 PM
When I wanna push 'em fast, I too use Lil' Gun for heavy bullets in all my magnums, but still prefer H110/W296 for the lighter and Medium weight bullets in each caliber. Unlike H110 or W296, Lil' Gun doesn't always need magnum primers.

Gryffydd
June 3, 2009, 07:23 PM
For me, in .45 Colt, H110 for ~250gr bullets and Lil'Gun for 300gr+. In .357 I only use Lil'Gun at 180gr or above.

One note about Lil'Gun, I've noticed that my revolver gets significantly hotter to the touch from shooting Lil'Gun vs. H110.

I loaded a few rounds in .45C that were about .5gr under minimum, but with magnum primers and got excellent accuracy and complete combustion. I guess it partly depends on how far you want to down load.

RedHawk357Mag
June 3, 2009, 10:44 PM
I have been playing around with Lil Gun, 158 gr SWCBB bullets from Missouri Bullets and a Ruger Redhawk 357 Magnum. Not posting the loads here as it seems maybe I have been toeing a dangerous line. My tests with this combo consisted of ten rnds per load, of those ten rnds I had ave of 1179-1241. My SD figures 26, 32, 27, 31, 15, 19, 13, 76, and 42. Some very respectable groups as well. I am not recommending this to anyone as your results may be different than mine. I used a very aggressive crimp and did not have any squibs nor any leading. Again your results might be different than what I observed. One odd thing that I did notice was I was testing Titegroup with the same bullets but expirenced leading near the forceing cone with the TG. My speeds with TG ranged from 812-1152.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lil'Gun vs H110/W296" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!