how do you pronounce sig sauer?

PDA

jon1996
October 18, 2003, 08:13 PM
hello,
i am new to this forum, i was just wondering how you pronounce sig sauer?
is it sig saw-er or
is it sig sow-er
thanks,
jon:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "how do you pronounce sig sauer?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
yayarx7
October 18, 2003, 08:24 PM
http://www.sigforum.com/

I would ask the experts. And WELCOME!

tomkatz
October 18, 2003, 08:33 PM
Welcome to the forum, I think it is more like your second choice.....tom

Schuey2002
October 18, 2003, 08:34 PM
Sour.. like a lemon.

larryw
October 18, 2003, 09:08 PM
A coupe years ago I asked my grandmother how to pronounce Sauer and Koch (97 years old and still going strong, bless her heart). She and my grandfather fled Germany for Brazil and then USA as Hitler was coming to power and still sveaks vit a verry vik azzent.

She told me me its "sawyer", like Tom Sawyer (and Koch is like coke). Who am I to argue? :)

tomkatz
October 18, 2003, 09:48 PM
Wouldn't be the first time we here in America butchered a word or name, I'll ask my german neighbor what she thinks:D ......tom

Standing Wolf
October 18, 2003, 10:02 PM
If you want to sound authentically German, the pronunciation would be "S-I-G Zauer."

B27
October 18, 2003, 10:13 PM
A person who actually lives in Switzerland informed us over on SIGforum that they pronounce it zig zower.

Siggyboy
October 18, 2003, 10:15 PM
I'll be presumptious and let you all in on the correct German pronunciation as close to English as I can:

Sig-Sauer = Seeg-Saowah
(in some northern areas maybe a bit more of a Z sound but in most of Germany that would be the pronunciation, especially where Sig is located! (Northern Switz. and South West Germany).

Heckler & Koch = Hecklah und Koghh
(Koch is a tough one. That's why Americans often incorrectly say its pronounced "Coke" or "Koh". The correct pronunciation is very gutteral, like you're trying to cough up a good luggie!)

Chugach
October 18, 2003, 10:25 PM
Sig is acutally an acronymn, S.I.G., for Schweitzerische Industrie Gesellschaft (roughly, Swiss Industrial Company). Sauer is the family name from J.P. Sauer & Sohn (famous rifle makers), which was acquired by SIG in the '70s.

Sauer is pronounced roughly as the English "sour". If you want a refined pronunciation that would be understood better in Germany or Switzerland, say:

"sow" (as in female pig) + "uh"

Ending r's in German bear little resemblance to the American English ending r.

I lived in Germany for 14 months, but I'm not a native speaker. There are German members of the forum...maybe they'll weigh in.

El Tejon
October 18, 2003, 10:26 PM
Zeeg Zawyer or uberDutchible.

That's it, ezactly.:D

Chugach
October 18, 2003, 10:29 PM
Siggyboy, I was composing my post and didn't see yours...

Siggyboy
October 18, 2003, 10:36 PM
Chugach, die Frage ist, wie spricht man deinen Namen aus? :D

Chugach
October 18, 2003, 10:43 PM
:D Without the guttural!

Chugach
October 18, 2003, 10:46 PM
Common pronunciation is

chew-gatch

sm
October 18, 2003, 10:58 PM
"Sig"
You don't really want a Southern Boy to butcher it anymore than need be...do ya.:)

Jim K
October 18, 2003, 11:05 PM
Apparently some folks who pronounce "Sauer" like "Sawyer" are under the impression there is an umlaut on the "a". There is not - "Sour or Zour" is close enough.

Actually, you need not pronounce "SIG-Sauer" at all, since the companies are no longer together. SIG is now Swiss Arms, and is headquartered in Switzerland, while Sauer Und Sohn AG (Sauer and Son, Inc.) is once again operating under that name.

Jim

dsk
October 18, 2003, 11:07 PM
Heckler & Koch = Hecklah und Koghh
(Koch is a tough one. That's why Americans often incorrectly say its pronounced "Coke" or "Koh". The correct pronunciation is very gutteral, like you're trying to cough up a good luggie!)

Thanks buddy. I'm really glad I just ate. http://www.afternight.com/smiles/sicka.gif

But you're correct. Half of my family is from Germany, and yes that's how they say it.

dwestfall
October 19, 2003, 01:08 AM
Sig

Just like they pronounce DiamlerChrysler -- the Chrysler is silent.

Andrew Wyatt
October 19, 2003, 01:44 AM
round these parts, we pronounce "Sig-Sauer" as "Them Newfangled Swiss Guns" (Them New-faen-gald Sweiss Gunz).

caz223
October 19, 2003, 09:06 AM
Just say SIG or sigarms.
They'll know what you mean.

Intune
October 19, 2003, 09:28 AM
Zig? ;)

marvl
October 19, 2003, 10:43 AM
Actually, you need not pronounce "SIG-Sauer" at all, since the companies are no longer together. SIG is now Swiss Arms, and is headquartered in Switzerland, while Sauer Und Sohn AG (Sauer and Son, Inc.) is once again operating under that name.

So, which company will be building the handguns, which the rifles, etc?

E=MC^2
October 19, 2003, 11:02 AM
Of topic, but people have been mispronouncing the name "Leupold" for decades here in the US. In fact, they actually had a pronunciation guide in the history section of their website. I see it's gone now. Leupold is the name of the German inventer that traveled to America.

"LEUPOLD" is
LOOP-HOLD

How about the term "Sabot"? It's not Sa-bot, it's
SAY-BO.
SAY as in to speak, and BO as in Bo Duke(Hazzard-style). It's a French term.

T.Stahl
October 19, 2003, 12:25 PM
Well, the German pronounciation of Leupold sounds more like Loy-pold.

Siggyboy
October 19, 2003, 12:29 PM
Does "sabot" have something to do with guns? I speak French as well and sabot (pronounced "sabo" not "saybo") usually means a wooden shoe, like clogs.

James Bondrock
October 19, 2003, 12:39 PM
Of topic, but people have been mispronouncing the name "Leupold" for decades here in the US. In fact, they actually had a pronunciation guide in the history section of their website. I see it's gone now. Leupold is the name of the German inventer that traveled to America. I occasionally see advertisements for rifles with "Loophole" scopes. :D Apparently the ads are taken over the phone, this is how it sounds, and the person transcribing does not know any better. Now if I could just find a truck with a "wench" on it! :D

James Bondrock
October 19, 2003, 12:48 PM
Does "sabot" have something to do with guns? In guns, it is a carrier for a projectile that is smaller than the bore size. The sabot falls away while the projectile continues on its path at a much higher velocity than the full bore size projectile would have been able to achieve. Examples include the Remington "Accelerator" rifle loads (if these are still produced), the latest shotgun slugs (these are designed to be fired in rifled barrels, BTW), and the projectile fired from the M1 Abrams tank, whose gun is a 120mm smoothbore.

E=MC^2
October 19, 2003, 05:54 PM
FAVRE:)

Just an example of how the spelling of a name has little to do with how it sounds. My neighbor back home, Mr. Favre, says his name is "Fa-ver".

pippin53
October 19, 2003, 10:45 PM
E=MC^2

Actually, those words are pronounced:
Leupold = "loy-polt"
sabot = "sah-boh"
Favre = "Fahv-ruh"

Cortland
October 20, 2003, 05:20 PM
Well now, let's toss "Steyr" and "minié ball" into the mix as well, eh?

Siggyboy
October 20, 2003, 07:31 PM
Steyr = Shhteye-ah

Minie ball = Minney Mouse :neener:

Cortland
October 20, 2003, 09:34 PM
Clearly you're the expert on German pronunications, so I'll take your word on Steyr.

The Minié ball however, contrary to popular opinion, is not named after Minney Mouse nor pronounced that way. The hollow-based conical bullet was invented by French army officer Claude Étienne Minié and is pronounced somewhere between "min-ee-A" and "min-yay" (I think).

Siggyboy
October 20, 2003, 11:43 PM
Since we're talking about old Claude's name, we'd really need to ask him how to pronounce it...absent that, I'd say "min-yay".

Boats
October 21, 2003, 01:39 AM
Just buy a Kohlt and be done with the pronunciation hazards.:D

antediluvianist
October 21, 2003, 08:19 AM
The way to pronounce SIG Sauer is " the gun that beats hell out of the primitive 1911".

RTFM
October 21, 2003, 08:39 AM
I've always pronounced it as "Sour" but when in doubt, call.

U.S. Headquarters

SIGARMS, Inc.
18 Industrial Drive
Exeter, NH 03833
Ph: 603-772-2302
Fax: 603-772-9082
http://www.sigarms.com/

RTFM

AUTIGER04
October 22, 2003, 09:11 AM
I try to keep it simple. Just say "Sig" and H&K.

RTFM
October 22, 2003, 10:25 AM
Update,
I called Sig last night, and spoke with Melissa about my recoil spring (I thought it was not origonal, but it was)
In the conversation I asked her, she pronounced it as "Sour" also.
Although they do answer the phone as Sigarms.

FWIW.

RTFM

Terminus
October 22, 2003, 12:07 PM
While we're at it...

Ceska Zbrojovka would be pronounced...uh, CZ.

Badger Arms
October 22, 2003, 12:30 PM
Alaskan Pronunciation Guide:

Chugach: Chew-gatch (just like it's spelled)
Seward: Sue-word
Ptarmigan: Chicken (again, just like it's spelled) :scrutiny:
Chinnok: King
Coho: Silver
Sockeye: Red
Chum: Dog
Pink: Humpy
Snow: Termination Dust
Snowmobile: Snowmachine

mephisto
October 22, 2003, 12:37 PM
I just say" any SIGs or HK's", its seems to work well.

Starpower
December 7, 2003, 09:54 PM
E=MC^2?? BO DUKE?? DUKE?? Are you telling your age? Would I be telling mine if I said BO DEREK? I think Norm Crosby needs to be in on this. His misingliteratons and unrenouned misrenouncements are histerical as well as historical. His offacious declarements could become so widely recognizant that everyone would autoclarity become the humonguous proliferators of the ammendments. Err...... something like that.:rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "how do you pronounce sig sauer?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!