AK74

PDA

WIFF
June 2, 2009, 09:46 PM
I have the chance to buy an AK74. any opinions ? i know the rounds are cheap but am not sure about accuracy, reliability etc.
thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "AK74" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rubber_Duck
June 2, 2009, 10:01 PM
Accuracy is much better than a standard 7.62mm AK (depending on how well you can use the crude sights), and reliability......well, it lives up to it's Kalashnikov heritage. :)

Sam1911
June 2, 2009, 10:56 PM
I'll second RD's comments: Accuracy is really a pleasant surprise and reliability is... well... you really have to ask? ;)

-Sam

briansmithwins
June 2, 2009, 11:10 PM
Pros are low recoil and a flatter trajectory than 7.62x39. Cons are all the ammo is imported, steel jacketed, and corrosive. I've heard of some non-corrosive 5.45x39 being imported but haven't seen any. BSW

nalioth
June 2, 2009, 11:29 PM
Cons are all the ammo is imported, steel jacketed, and corrosive. This is untrue.

We've been importing non-corrosive Wolf and the other animal-name-manufacturer's 5.45x39 for years prior to the latest load of surplus ammo.

My local Academy has a shelf full of non-corrosive Barnaul produced 5.45x39.

As far as 'imported' and 'steel jacketed', at this time (unlike the 7.62x39) no 5.45x39 is produced domestically, so steel jacketed non-corrosive animal-name-brand and the corrosive milsurp stuff is all the choice we've got.

P.B.Walsh
June 2, 2009, 11:40 PM
"animal name brand", that's funny. :)

briansmithwins
June 2, 2009, 11:54 PM
We've been importing non-corrosive Wolf and the other animal-name-manufacturer's 5.45x39 for years prior to the latest load of surplus ammo.

I stand corrected. How much is the non-corrosive compared with the milsurp corrosive stuff? I don't have a problem with corrosive primers but lots of people don't want to deal with it. BSW

nalioth
June 3, 2009, 12:07 AM
I stand corrected. How much is the non-corrosive compared with the milsurp corrosive stuff? Well, before the zeroing out of America, you could buy it for $3.86 a box at the local Academy.

It's jumped up 3x the price since then.

You can still get good deals if you buy it by the case lot off the internet.

rangerruck
June 3, 2009, 12:36 AM
if you go to the gunshows, the 762 ammo, and the 545, is just now starting to
crrreeeeeep back down a bit. Saw some 762 ammo going for 6 bucks a box, at the last Pasadena show. if you get a 545, do yourself a favor; get the chrome lined bbl ak's. they tend to really like the 545, with a big helping of accuracy.

If you enjoyed reading about "AK74" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!