what is brass worth?

PDA

rogdigity
June 2, 2009, 11:01 PM
i have always been curious, what is brass really worth? i know what it will fetch at a scrap yard, so thats not my question. i mean, what is reloadable brass worth to a reloader? ive often toyed with the idea of reloading but after reveiwing the costs lately ive decided for a few reasons that now isnt the time.

i sold a bunch of brass i have had laying around a week or two ago. i pretty much said 'if you come and get it you can have it, but if you want to give me something in exchange, i wont complain'. the rounds were all what seemed to me like off caliber rifle rounds - 22.250, 243, 280, 270, 300, 303, and maybe a couple others. im curious as to what an average reloader would pay for that kind of stuff. also for some of the other calibers i often use - 30.06, .45acp, 9x19 lugar, 9m18 makarov, 7.62x38 nagant... i just listed a few of those on gunbroker for basically nothing but shipping and really dont expect them to move because i dont know how to price it. or is it usually better to throw it all in a box and when the box gets full list it as 'mixed brass' and sell it as a whole? any input?

If you enjoyed reading about "what is brass worth?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bobotech
June 2, 2009, 11:10 PM
Brass can get pricey especially for hard to get brass.

Right now I'm looking to get 460s&w brass and its hard to find. I know I can get a bag of 100 new Starline for 59 dollars at Cabelas (1/2 hour drive for me) but I want to find once fired.

Usually once fired is around 1/2 cost of new brass for semi-hard to find calibers. But if the caliber is really hard to find, I imagine that the cost could go way up. So if there isn't much once fired 300 Weatherby or whatever on the market, then demand says that it might only be 20-30 percent off the cost of new brass.

Also brand matters. 100 pieces of 308 in Norma is going to be worth a lot more to a bench rest shooter than 100 pieces of some used military brass with mixed headstamps. And some headstamps aren't valued hardly at all such as Amerc headstaamps. And then some headstamps are worth less because of possible negative associations such as FC 308/223 brass.

Figure for 308 brass, 1/2 to 3/4s of the price of new for used. The cheaper prices for mixed or less desirable headstamps.

faire bien de...!
June 2, 2009, 11:25 PM
Too bad you can't sell brass on E-Bay anymore, I'm sure you could have made some good coin on that stuff. Don't forget to hang on to some for yourself for when you decide you want to start reloading, or you'll be kicking yourself. Yes, I know I didn't answer the question, I don't know how much its worth. Like bobotech said, go to Midway and see how much new brass is selling for and cut the price in half and that should give you a good idea.

dirtman
June 3, 2009, 12:29 AM
bobo, yeah that darn fc brass in 308... send it all my way... been loading 400 cases of fc for one rifle bolt.. for over 20 years... many loads... not that hot but very accurate... about 2550 fps.. 165 grn hornady's... can't seem to wear that cheap stuff out....

bobotech
June 3, 2009, 12:42 AM
bobo, yeah that darn fc brass in 308... send it all my way... been loading 400 cases of fc for one rifle bolt.. for over 20 years... many loads... not that hot but very accurate... about 2550 fps.. 165 grn hornady's... can't seem to wear that cheap stuff out....
LOL!! I keep all my brass. I have had no problems with FC brass myself but a lot of guys won't buy it because of various threads about FC brass over at Arfcom.

The range officer at a local range sold me a bag of 300+ pieces of 308 FC brass that was shot by the police who visit his range. Beautiful stuff, didn't even need to be tumbled.

I will load up pretty much any piece of brass provided it doesn't have any obvious damage.

rogdigity
June 3, 2009, 01:45 AM
i myself am not picky. i want to be able to go out and have some fun once in a while. the only thing i kill is paper and glass so im not looking to build super accurate loads by any means. if anything i would be reloading my common calibers just to save a buck. the problem is, ive figured i need to go shooting about once a month for two years to make my money back. hard thing to explain to the wife with a baby girl on the way... then a move to texas at the end of the year or begining of next, too. maybe after those 'hurdles' ill be in a better place to load. thats kinda one main reason i dont do it now. dont really wanna lead up my house with a baby on the way. wifeys first son died when he was 6 months so everything is extra cautious. but dont worry, it was a genetic thing, nothing to do with lead or mercury or anything. and also, dont worry, we have been talking to the doctors and they say that the girl is perfectly fine.

anyways, most the brass i get is from heading to the range myself. i usually bring a handful of buddys with me and we can eaisily drop 1000-5000 rounds between us. lots of unloadable mil-surps, but i still try to pickup my 9mm and 45 (provided i can find them). things like the 30.06 and the 7.62 nagant i make sure to save since they dont go far. i figure everyone is jumping on the 30.06 so they just may come in useful. then with the nagant caliber, well, you just cant find cheap rounds for them so i figured someone could prolly use them. need to list them two on gun broker or something

rogdigity
June 3, 2009, 01:46 AM
some headstamps aren't valued hardly at all such as Amerc headstaamps. And then some headstamps are worth less because of possible negative associations such as FC 308/223 brass

which ones are these head stamps and why so much negative around them?

freakshow10mm
June 3, 2009, 02:10 AM
Amerc is cheap crap that isn't worthy of being reloaded. Primer pockets aren't sized right, brass walls are too thin, case mouths crack under expanding the mouth, walls tear while seating bullets, and a host of other issues.

When I come across Amerc brass I crush the case mouth shut so it can't be reloaded.

rogdigity
June 3, 2009, 02:18 AM
ha! whats the head manufacturer/stamp? or is it amerc? i havent heard of it

faire bien de...!
June 3, 2009, 02:33 AM
which ones are these head stamps and why so much negative around them?

Some people seem to think that the Federal (FC) brass is too soft and wears out prematurely, stretches too much or something, that's why some don't care for it. I've also read that some people believe the primer pockets open up after just a couple reloads. I really don't know what their talking about though, I've never had a problem with it. But then again, I also tend to load on the lighter side of things. I do agree with the Amerc being junk though.

rogdigity
June 3, 2009, 02:43 AM
fc=federal

well thats one, still unsure of the amerc though?

i also think that maybe a small percentage is just biased people. kinda like the ar-15 vs mini-14 argument... someone heard someone bitch about the stuff and thinks they know everything now. also, some people who reside in these forums tend to be more than slightly obsessed with their firearms and allow for zero margins/tolerances. i wish i had that much free time. not tryin to bash anyone or anything, but ive noticed that some gun people just plain scare me

freakshow10mm
June 3, 2009, 03:12 AM
Amerc headstamp says AMERC on it. I have a bunch in the shop I found while working on a police ammo order.

tjj
June 3, 2009, 02:16 PM
I have over 2000 once fired .308 FC cases. Don't know what the problem with them is supposed to be.

My standard load is 42 gr. RL15 with 168 gr SMK or Nosler Comp bullets. I've only used about 150 cases to load and shoot over 1700 rounds in the last year and a half so far. No split cases so far so I am supposed to be on the edge of the twilight zone or something? I also have 800 NIB Lapua brass but have not needed to use them yet. Didn't know how long these cases were going to last or I would not have bought so many early on. At this rate I'll be long gone to the next world before all my cases are used up.

fatelk
June 3, 2009, 08:05 PM
I don't load or shoot near as much as some here, but I've never had any problems with Federal brass.

AMERC, on the other hand, is total garbage. I've had so much trouble with it myself that now I just sort it out and trash it before starting.

FROGO207
June 4, 2009, 09:01 AM
If you really want to find the price of used brass go to the Gun Broker site and search for your cal and add brass at end. All brass being sold will show, with a little searching you get an idea. Sign up and sell some there! After sign up you can save auctions to your watch list and watch them finish for actual cost of sale. The flat rate boxes from your PO are easy to figure for shipping cost. Works well for me.

rogdigity
June 5, 2009, 11:36 AM
ya, i already sold a bunch on there

Rembrandt
June 5, 2009, 12:26 PM
Much depends on how much work you want to do...I recently bought about 400 lbs of pistol brass for $120. The time spent sorting, cleaning, packaging was enormous. Now have nearly 35,000 pieces of 40 & 9mm ready for loading....but it took a long time, value of my labor?

If you enjoyed reading about "what is brass worth?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!