What would you do?

PDA

RedAlert
June 3, 2009, 03:59 PM
I have a Remington 870 in 12ga. that was my Father's. He gave it to me, as my two brothers didn't really express any interest in guns. I have no one to pass it on to and can't say there is any real $Value because so many were made. My Dad received it as a gift in 1955 from my Mom.

So here is my question:

Do I keep it "as is" and buy a cheaper Remington 870 Express Tactical, or do I strip mine down and add the bits and pieces, including a 18.5" barrel to make it handier for in home use?

After looking at the costs associated with the conversion, it wouldn't be much cheaper than buying the "Express" version. I know the Express is more crudely and cheaply made, but in the middle of the night, the only part I expect any intruder to see is the 12ga railroad tunnel of the barrel pointing at him/her.

I'd appreciate your opinions.

Ralph

If you enjoyed reading about "What would you do?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
June 3, 2009, 04:18 PM
Just buy an extra 18" barrel for $101.21.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/46426-1.html

All the rest of the TackyCool parts are just window dressing.

A wood stock 870 will work just as well or better for HD then one with a bunch of aftermarket junque bolted, screwed, and glued on it.

rc

Virginian
June 3, 2009, 04:23 PM
I'd add a ditto to what rcmodel said. And if you keep all the parts you change out it can always be restored to a field piece in the future, too.

TehK1w1
June 3, 2009, 04:49 PM
I'd either get an 18.5" barrel for it and call it good, or use a different shotgun. I just can't bear the thought of a gun with family history rusting away in an evidence room if you ever had to use it.

Fred Fuller
June 3, 2009, 05:51 PM
Have you been shooting it regularly since you've had it? Is it already familiar to you?

What "bits and pieces" do you think are necessary beyond an 18- 20" barrel, for the gun to serve HD duty? Why?

I just finished setting up a used 870 for my BIL's family primarily as a HD gun. It now sports a 20" smoothbore rifle sighted barrel with a fixed ImpCyl choke. The forearm is the OEM wooden forearm, the stock is the same but shortened a bit to a 12.75" LOP with a grind-to-fit recoil pad installed. It has a ring-mount light rail installed behind the magazine cap, with a LED-Wave Z5 weaponlight on board. There's a 4-round Sidesaddle installed that works with the original field length forearm. And in the hardside case is a 28" vent rib barrel with RemChokes that fits the gun as well. I gotta rustle up a Remington plug out of the parts box, and then he'll be set for doves or HD duty.

What did I add?
* Remington 20" smoothbore 'deer barrel'
* TacStar 4-round Sidesaddle
* Streamlight 69906 Light Mount
* LED-Wave/Ombu Z5 Weaponlight

All these things are easily interchangeable, none of them change the basic
character of the gun. In ten minutes the gun can be ready for the duck blind or the dove field.

FWIW,

lpl

earlthegoat2
June 3, 2009, 06:48 PM
just use it as is.

RandKL
June 3, 2009, 07:06 PM
Agreed with everyone else. The most daring modification I've done to any HD gun here was in putting a few heat shields on. Most were simply for looks....one was to hide some pitting on a barrel that I didn't consider worth fixing. Rails and lasers and funky stocks are well, funky at best.

Get a short barrel. Put it on as it is. You won't regret it.

rich

DaleCooper51
June 3, 2009, 07:30 PM
I agree with the others, buy a short barrel for it.

The only modification I would do is add a Limbsaver pad. If the gun has a pad on it, I'm sure it's hard and can be replaced. If it doesnt have one, do your shoulder a favor and put one on.

RedAlert
June 3, 2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks folks. The local Big5Sports store has a Mossburg 12ga already with synthetic stock, 18" barrel and extended magazine tube for $239! Why mess with my 870?

Ralph

Ohio Gun Guy
June 4, 2009, 12:06 AM
Get another one! Then it doesnt matter.

xm21
June 4, 2009, 02:45 AM
To me the real value of it would be that it was my fathers and money caint' buy that.

RedAlert
June 4, 2009, 02:51 PM
XM21,

I agree, neither of my plans involved selling the 870. Only modding it or getting another shotgun entirely.

Its also part of a three gun set of Pump Remingtons, and I sure don't want to break up the set.

Ralph

If you enjoyed reading about "What would you do?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!