For those using quad rail forearms

PDA

armoredman
June 3, 2009, 06:58 PM
Does that bottom rail mean you have to have an add on foregrip to stop the rail from ripping up your hand under recoil, or is that not a problem? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "For those using quad rail forearms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TexasRifleman
June 3, 2009, 06:59 PM
Rubber rail covers. Magpul makes really nice ones.

But without them yes, it can be uncomfortable.

gvnwst
June 3, 2009, 07:06 PM
I have ladder covers on mine, otherwise, yes, it would hurt your hand. The full size panels work pretty well too.

armoredman
June 3, 2009, 07:34 PM
rubber rail covers, say that six times fast. Thanks for the tip!

Maverick223
June 3, 2009, 07:35 PM
It really depends upon the make of the rail system. The YHM rail that I have fitted to the bottom of my M17 is smooth and I don't need a cover for it, the tri-rail that I have on my Saiga-12 is pretty sharp and needs covers IMO. I don't like the full covers because I feel they are clunky and look out of place, but the ladders are great.

TheWarhammer
June 3, 2009, 07:45 PM
Beyond the discomfort of sharp rails cutting into you, depending on the rifle, heat can be a major concern. A metal quad-rail on an AKM will get really hot in no time. Without rail covers, it will not be fun to shoot at all. This is why I got rid of the quad-rail on my AKM and went with an Ultimak rail and a synthetic forend.

MrCleanOK
June 3, 2009, 07:54 PM
I find heat to be a bigger issue than sharp edges. I use ladder style rail covers, they are less bulky than full covers.

RP88
June 3, 2009, 08:21 PM
I have a composite vertical grip, but also have magpul XTM rail covers (the plastic clip-on ones) and they are sturdy and comfy.

taliv
June 3, 2009, 08:30 PM
grabbing the rails doesn't bother me at all
heat does

If you enjoyed reading about "For those using quad rail forearms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!