Production date of Model 19

PDA

alpoho
June 3, 2009, 07:45 PM
I just purchased a beautiful stainless steel model 19-3 with 4" barrel that looks like it's never been fired! It has no scratches on walnut grip and the metal is perfect. I paid $675. I'm sure this was a fair deal. Can someone tell me the manufacture date? SN-9K87213. Also, what does A9 08120 mean? Thanks for help!:evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Production date of Model 19" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ron James
June 3, 2009, 08:02 PM
1976 If the A9 numbers are under ythe yoke it's just assembley nubers to ensure the parts stay together.

Nowhere Man
June 3, 2009, 08:04 PM
I can't tell you by the ser# but, I do know my 19-3 was manufactured in '68 IIRC.

If you don't get a clear answer, you can call S&W and they will tell you.

Can you post some pics???? We like pics:D:D

Dave

Ron James
June 3, 2009, 10:53 PM
I would think the numerical sequence of 1976 is fairly clear :)
But you were probably posting at the same time I was.:) Pictures? Baa Humbug. A S&W 19 is a S&W 19 unless theres something out of the ordinary about it. Perhaps pink grips, or yellow frame:)

alpoho
June 4, 2009, 12:38 PM
Thanks greatly for the timely replies. Your dead on too. Last night I accidentally was directed to wikipedia and they had a great article on Model 19's. Thanks again guys! I'm looking forward to shooting this baby. It's by second handgun. First is a Walther PPK/S 380....Regards

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_&_Wesson_Model_19

rcmodel
June 4, 2009, 01:18 PM
I most certainly is not stainless steel, or it would be a model 66.

All Model 19's were either blue or nickel finish.
None were ever made in Stainless Steel.

SN-9K87213 dates to 1975.

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "Production date of Model 19" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!