22 HP or Solid for Squirrels...?

PDA

Aristides
June 3, 2009, 09:37 PM
Using a Ruger 10/22 for squirrels, will there be much different between CCI MiniMag 32 grain HP vs. MiniMag 40 grain Solid? Will the HP expand? Will the squirrel know the difference?

If you enjoyed reading about "22 HP or Solid for Squirrels...?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nowhere Man
June 3, 2009, 09:41 PM
A better option is a subsonic bullet. Less noise to scare the critters into hiding.

Dave

.38 Special
June 3, 2009, 09:45 PM
IMO, it's a good idea to hit them in the head. There isn't much meat to begin with, and blasting a big hole through it with a hollowpoint is a waste.

Solids and head shots FTW, IMO.

Nowhere Man
June 3, 2009, 09:49 PM
You can shoot them through the chest too. No damage done.

Dave

dullone
June 3, 2009, 09:49 PM
Realistically, is a hollowpoint going to function properly in such a small massed target????:confused:

Big Daddy Grim
June 3, 2009, 09:51 PM
I prefer shorts shootin solids nice and quite plus not to much damage to the animal. If your gun will not shoot shorts sub sonic solids are pretty good.

MCgunner
June 3, 2009, 09:53 PM
Yes, hollowpoints do expand on squirrel and tear up a lot of meat if a body shot. I prefer solids and if not more'n 25 yard shots are to be taken, I'll shoot CB shorts. They're deadly on tree rats at short range. Need long rifles in the tall pines, though. I've been shooting squirrels for a long, long time, though I don't get to go much now days. I really like using a handgun when I do get to go. I have a very accurate scoped Contender .22 match barrel and a scoped Ruger Mk2 which is plenty accurate enough. It shoots 1" 50 yard groups which is 3/4" better than my 10/22 shoots.

.38 Special
June 3, 2009, 09:54 PM
You can shoot them through the chest too. No damage done.

I've had a couple run off never to be seen again, after I hit them in the chest with solids. I feel awful when that happens, so gave up on it.

Realistically, is a hollowpoint going to function properly in such a small massed target????

On several occasions I have seen small mammals (rabbits, squirrels, and a rat) struck with .22 HPs and saw very definite evidence of expansion.

joeg26er
June 3, 2009, 10:07 PM
yes definite expansion with HP
headshot one and it went out the lower jaw, hit the opposite shoulder and nearly detached that arm

he was DRT

6x6pinz
June 3, 2009, 11:57 PM
HP's all the way. Very effective in the pistols and the rifles. A picture from one of our successful trips this past year, and this year looks to be better:)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/6x6pinz/100_0244.jpg

chas08
June 3, 2009, 11:59 PM
For meat purposes, I prefer solids. Specifically CCI mini caps in a Sears and Roebuck single shot bolt action. My other choice is a full choke .410 with 2 1/2 inch #6 shot. I always try for head shots, even with the .410. If your hunting them for pest eradication only, then hollow points are fine. They do tear up a lot of meat compared to a solid. But a head shot squirrel is the easiest and most pleasant to clean IMHO.:)

Great pic 6X6pinz, Man!!! I would hate to have to clean all those squirrels. I usually call it a day at about three.

rhino57
June 9, 2009, 07:41 PM
I have always loved to squirrel hunt with a 22, been doing it for 50 years, I was always a fan of Winchester Super X hollow points but have used every thing made at one time or another. I sure look forward to that fist plate of fresh fried Squirrel every fall.
Use what ammo you have and enjoy every hunting trip, I know I have.:)

wankerjake
June 9, 2009, 08:20 PM
I always shoot them in the head so it doesn't matter. The 32gr stingers always tore the head up pretty good, so I preferred the 40gr bullet. Not so messy.
You can shoot them through the chest too. No damage done
We cut the squirrell into 6 pieces. We cut them in half at the ribcage, then cut the limbs off. I love the ribcage piece! I also have it on pretty good authority that I am a redneck...

Uncle Mike
June 15, 2009, 04:59 PM
We use a .22mag for the beasts... 40 gr solid.

When I do take out the CZ 452, I use compitition grade 40gr solids.

devildog32713
June 16, 2009, 11:52 AM
.22 solids, HP's damage way too much, and Subsonics are very good too.
sorry for the long URL, but itl get ya there!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0064147216769a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Product_liberal&QueryText=.22+subsonic&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

chas08
June 16, 2009, 01:38 PM
I love the ribcage piece! I also have it on pretty good authority that I am a redneck...

(LOL) You mean...."If one of your favorite dinners is, Squirrel and Brown Gravy,...You might be a Redneck" :D

Flintknapper
June 16, 2009, 07:02 PM
My favorite for Squirrels and Coons:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0064147216769a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=1200103&cm_ite=0064147216769a

dullh
June 18, 2009, 07:22 PM
I use nothing but CCI Mini-Mag HP's in all my .22's, so there you go...

CajunBass
June 18, 2009, 07:28 PM
I use nothing but Federal bulk pack HP's from Wally World. They shoot good in my guns, and kill squirrels like a lightening bolt.

If they mess up a little meat, so be it.

rondog
June 18, 2009, 08:25 PM
I just wish I had a place to hunt 'em. I'm not really a hunter, but I'd go after squirrels.....

Uncle Mike
June 20, 2009, 03:17 PM
You mean...."If one of your favorite dinners is, Squirrel and Brown Gravy,...You might be a Redneck"

Ooooh... I'll walk away from a steak for a plate of crispy fried golden brown squirrel and a bucket of squirrel gravy! :p

And... yea... I knew I was a redneck!:D

:D

wankerjake
June 20, 2009, 03:34 PM
Ooooh... I'll walk away from a steak for a plate of crispy fried golden brown squirrel and a bucket of squirrel gravy!

Me too, one of the best meals ever! Yeah, one of many tell tale signs of a real redneck, when you prefer rodent meat to red meat!

Geno
June 20, 2009, 03:52 PM
Tain't what cha' shoot tha' matters; it's if ya can hit 'em, and where ya hit 'em. Hit 'em in the head with a rock an' they'll fall. Blast off their tail with a 12 guage and well, you get the point.

Randall
June 20, 2009, 04:16 PM
If they are close in say 15 yards cb caps do well,50-60 yards hv solids work, any further and I prefer hv hp's.

chas08
June 20, 2009, 07:07 PM
Ooooh... I'll walk away from a steak for a plate of crispy fried golden brown squirrel and a bucket of squirrel gravy!

I'm with you on that one.:)

Vern Humphrey
June 20, 2009, 07:34 PM
I just wish I had a place to hunt 'em. I'm not really a hunter, but I'd go after squirrels.....
I've done quite a bit of elk hunting in Eagle County, Colorado. Your little midget squirrels always try to carry me off -- to the point where I have to defend myself with either a .22 pistol or a Hammond Game Getter.

Uncle Mike
June 21, 2009, 01:04 PM
:D.22 solids... hit em' were you can. Shoot... the little vermin are hard enough to hit!:D

Fried squirrel, roasted duck, grouse... a crock pot full of ground hog....

Now THAT'S good eats!:D

:D

trickyasafox
June 23, 2009, 07:08 PM
another bulk pack user. federal or winchester. the remingtons are a bit warmer than the feds and win (at least the lots I have are). They group well and it works.

Savage Shooter
July 1, 2009, 12:37 AM
I use one of 2 guns a winchester 9422 .22mag with hp or a marlin 60 .22lr with hp damage can be bad if you miss with the .22mag but I don't do that unless there very close because of where I sighted my scope at. With my marlin damage is rarly if ever a factor since I've had the gun so long and practice so much I don't usually miss:D unless I happen to hit a stick or something.

Grey Morel
July 3, 2009, 11:26 PM
I've had a couple run off never to be seen again, after I hit them in the chest with solids. I feel awful when that happens, so gave up on it.

Me too. I haven't lost one yet but, in my experience, about 50% of the fox squirrels I shoot need to be shot again when hit with a .22LR in the upper torso.

Last one I shot was crawling through a mulberry bush about 15 yards out, and a little elevated from my position. As a rule I take body shots on elevated targets, as they drastically reduce the chance of a miss, and therefore reduce the risk of sending a round sailing off into parts unknown. (4'th rule). This is how it went down:

Shot 1: Just behind his right shoulder; He barely flinched and i though I missed.
Shot 2: Another upper body shot went though the right shoulder. I know I hit him because he stumbled.
Shot 3: The animal stumbled again and fell from his branch, but caught himself with one arm. He was just hanging there staring at me. Shot #3 was to the head.

I've had body shots drop a squirrel in its tracks before, but that last one was just too much. It's head shots only for me from now on.

moooose102
July 4, 2009, 10:10 AM
it does not take much to kill a squirrel. i shoot them with a pelet gun, and they drop like stones. whatever you have will do the job nicely.

bernie
July 5, 2009, 10:36 AM
I will use just about anything, but my preference is standard velocity (not so loud, and it does not scare them as bad if you miss, and you might get a second shot) solids. The hollow points can mess up some meat. My current squirrel ammo is an old (20 year maybe) batch of Remington Target. I also use a tool that I bought to flatten the nose so it looks and acts like a wadcutter. It does not cause it to expand, but it does look like you hit the squirrel with a "hole punch" because it does not allow the tissue to expand around the bullet as it passes through. Works well enough for me.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
July 5, 2009, 12:45 PM
Definitely hollowpoint if going for a body shot. Head shot, doesn't matter.

it does not take much to kill a squirrel. i shoot them with a pelet gun, and they drop like stones.

I have to disagree strongly with that. They are very tough critters, and a pellet gun shot needs to be a head shot, and preferably a heavy .22 pellet. I've seen them flip and flop until I step on their head with a head shot from a .177 pellet gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "22 HP or Solid for Squirrels...?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!