Shooting is a degrading skill

PDA

armoredman
June 4, 2009, 01:06 PM
Starts the moment you leave the range. Picture a tire filled, with a tiny slow leak...every so often you have to pump it up.
Well, it had been about 6-8 months since I took my Enfield No4Mk1* out of the case, I think, and boy did it show. I have been having fun with the VZ-58, and neglected the old British warhorse. I won't show you my worst group - can't, didn't make it on the paper! I was shooting some old reloads, and this one shot about 6-8 inches low at 100 yards, right off the bottom of my downloaded target!
After a few rounds, or, say, 20 or so, I got this one.
See the flyer near the bottom, off the target that was pasted below it. OK, I would have hit every Hun I'd have fired on at 100 yards, but still...
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/enfield6409.jpg

Sheesh, I need to get out more! That load used to shoot MOA or so benched.
Oh, by the way, all rounds were fired from the bench, but not rested, iron sights, about 95 degrees.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting is a degrading skill" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gvnwst
June 4, 2009, 01:10 PM
Well, yes, shooting takes practice. ;) I found that after a winter of not shooting...i SUCK. Went to a few classes to change that.:D

CWL
June 4, 2009, 02:26 PM
Firearms skills IS a martial art or any other sport. It takes regular and dedicated training to become good at anything.

Without constant practice, it degrades like anything else. Notice how professional athletes need to train harder than others? Same reason why there are specialized police and military units who train at a higher intensity than rank & file.

I never understood why some people ask for the "best gun" when they never back it up with training.

Hungry Seagull
June 4, 2009, 02:41 PM
We were rusty this week. Must go more often.

Some of my rounds vanished never to be counted and wife's shots missed paper because of technical issue with her weapon.

We will go again soon and do better.

I cannot say enough that practice, range visits and more shooting makes for quality markmanship.

I dont mean firing 200 rounds until you need to be dragged away from the firing line exhausted either. Just a small number of quality shooting.

What really shows is our... forgetfulness at times. Our solution. Extra shooting until everything is routine.

feedthehogs
June 4, 2009, 02:41 PM
That flyer could well have been ammo related.

Theres a bunch of us that would argue that shooting skills in general don't degrade that much except for maybe speed drills without practice.

I know many who will only pickup a rifle at start of hunting season, throw a few shots down range to check for scope zero and then one shot kills for as many as your tag will allow.

Unless your a benchrester, can't get any better than that.

JDGray
June 4, 2009, 03:12 PM
all rounds were fired from the bench, but not rested

:confused: You shot off a bench, and didn't rest it, how you do that?:)

If thats free hand at 100yrds, that great shooting!

Reid73
June 4, 2009, 04:28 PM
I cannot say enough that practice, range visits and more shooting makes for quality markmanship.As long as one is using proper technique to start with. Otherwise, you're just repeating and reinforcing bad habits (stock crawling, snatching the trigger, etc.).

If out of regular practice, it's a good idea to first review the fundamentals (as set out in any number of books and magazine articles).

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
June 4, 2009, 05:11 PM
Hey, a simple pair of hand scissors could have removed all trace of that flyer. :D :evil:

But I smell what you're steppin in'; it's frustrating as all heck *more often than not* for me. But that's because I'm trying to shoot so many different rifles - which is why I'm in a simplification process right now.

If thats free hand at 100yrds, that great shooting!

Amen to that.

Uncle Mike
June 4, 2009, 06:06 PM
Free hand.... that aint all that bad! Looks good to me! :D

Shooting... unlike sex is a skill that must be rehearsed and practiced to remain proficient at.... so I'm told! hehehe :neener:

armoredman
June 4, 2009, 07:47 PM
That's with no rest on the rifle, I should have said, sling tight around weak arm for support, elbows on bench. Usually this is what I think of when I say benchrested - old pic of same rifle, as a matter of fact...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/oldnotuseless.jpg

What I was doing was just like this.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/vZ58attherange.jpg

If I have my definitions wrong, I'm sorry. :o:(

Dr Winslow, I could have, but I try to show the whole thing as it came off the range - enough people don't believe anyone's targets already! :)

Ditto to shoot less and better, I fired 40 rounds of 303 and 50 rounds of 9mm, and called it a morning. Range is free, so was all good.
Thanks for the positive comments, I really need to get out with this fine old milsurp more often!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/PICT0056.jpg

JDGray
June 4, 2009, 07:50 PM
Still say not to shabby;)

lionking
June 4, 2009, 08:31 PM
I went out last Sunday with a Garand and M1917 to redeem myself for that bad groupings I got with them last time,which it was me because before I did well with them.

Nice awesome day,not much humidity,drove out there set up,all fired up to get those nice groups I was set on getting........

Open up the ammo box to get out the HXP ammo.....

it was my empties from last time

ARGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!:banghead:

Floppy_D
June 4, 2009, 09:48 PM
it was my empties from last time

That's the worst. I drove my brother in law an hour and a half to some private property to do some shooting, he always wanted to shoot an AK. We made it out there, forgot the mags... so it was one shot at a time. :(

Maverick223
June 4, 2009, 10:38 PM
We made it out there, forgot the mags... so it was one shot at a time.Sorry but I LOLed pretty hard at that, but if it makes you feel better I was laughing from lionK's post too. I think we have all done something like that at some point.

Double Naught Spy
June 5, 2009, 07:15 AM
Shooting is a degrading skill

Well yeah. No actual physical skills aggrade due to inactivity or lack of practice. Had you been led to believe otherwise?

armoredman
June 5, 2009, 09:08 AM
No, DNS, just a reminder to others to stay in practice when they can in the ammo crunch. Also let's me talk about my Enfield. :)

JDGray, thanks.:o

DRYHUMOR
June 5, 2009, 05:26 PM
Don't forget the eyes either. :eek:

armoredman
June 5, 2009, 05:40 PM
Actually got better this last eye exam, but the polycarbonate lenses make great shooting glasses.

DRYHUMOR
June 5, 2009, 06:35 PM
I wish mine were getting better. New perscription would help... but I've got guns and ammo to buy. :D

DBR
June 5, 2009, 06:58 PM
I think a better term is a "perishable skill".

Zach S
June 5, 2009, 08:03 PM
I think a better term is a "perishable skill".
I agree. Someone here has or had a line in their signature that stated "Marksmanship is a perishable skill, maintain it."

armoredman
June 5, 2009, 10:31 PM
Perishable, that's the word I should have used...lemme see if I can edit that. Done, thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting is a degrading skill" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!