Which Reticle for Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42?

PDA

haskins02
June 4, 2009, 03:19 PM
I have decided to buy a Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 for a new Browning X-bolt so I can have a scope with great versatility. However, I am undecided on whether to get the “Fine Multi-X” or “Mil Dot” reticle. While I do not intend to specifically hunt or shoot in low light conditions, it would be nice to have some low light capability. I called up Bushnell Technical support and asked them which of the two reticles would be better under low light conditions and he told me that the thickness of the reticle where it crosses at the center is the same for each, so it would not matter. I thought it odd that this is the case, but that’s what he told me.

While I am not sure I would make use of the mil dots to estimate range, I could have use for them. Even though the Bushnell guy said the new DOA reticle for that scope is slightly thicker, I have ruled it out because I suspect I can find much better prices on the Internet if I stick with either the Mil Dot or Fine Multi-X reticles (same price) for that scope.

Any suggestions on which of the two reticle types I should get? Thanks.

Greg

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Reticle for Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
danweasel
June 4, 2009, 04:10 PM
I have a Bushnell 6500 with Mil Dots. I really like it. It's fun to mess around with the numbers and see how "snipery" you can get. Also, and this is how I usually use it, you can just ignore the dots and you have a normal cross hair scope. See? It's the best of both worlds!

Mine is OK in low light. Not bad by any means. Also the clarity is very good for the dough.

haskins02
June 5, 2009, 11:53 AM
Hi Danweasel,

Thanks for telling me it is OK in low light. But what happens if you need to hold over your target? Does it happen that a mil dot is covering up part of the target so you cannot see it completely? Is this a concern?

For that reason, I was leaning toward the "Fine Multi X" but I am not sure the guy at Bushnell had it correct. If both reticles have the same thickness, then why isn't the mil dot one called "Fine Mil Dot"?

Greg

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Reticle for Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!