3-12 vs 4-16 for South Texas

PDA

csmulcare
June 4, 2009, 07:19 PM
I'm in the market for a scope to mount on my new Tikka T3 in 300 win mag. I hunt primarily in South Texas for whitetail and can on occasion have shot opportunities of up to 250-300 yds. I've narrowed it down between the Nikon Monarch 3-12x42 and 4-16x42. The 16 power is only 1/2 longer than the 12. My question is if the 12 power is sufficient at those ranges and if there are any disadvantages of going with the 16 power. My buddies are all going with at least 14 power scopes, but I'm just not sure that's needed. I haven't purchased a scope since I picked up a Redfield 3x9 when I was 13 so I appreciate the help. Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "3-12 vs 4-16 for South Texas" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
June 5, 2009, 01:19 PM
For 300 yard and under deer hunting, a 4x fixed power or 2-7 variable is plenty sufficient.
The 3-9 is probably the most popular in the world.

Don't make the mistake of buying a long range target scope for deer.
It is not needed, or desirable.

For instance, a 300 yard deer through a 9x scope appears to be only 33 yards away.
You can probably throw a rock that far and hit it!

At 4x, it appears to be 75 yards out, and thats open-sight 30-30 range.

A wide field of view & brightness in low light is far more importent for a deer scope then enough power to count the ticks on him.
And magnify your shakes & wobbles, as well as see the air currents shimmering on a hot day so bad you can't see the deer.

rc

Arbor
June 6, 2009, 02:45 PM
3x is much better than 4x at close range, it actually makes a pretty big difference. I would only get the 4-16x if you plan on shooting targets or varmints as well as deer.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
June 6, 2009, 02:58 PM
I think 12 power is plenty enough for hunting a largish creature like a whitetail with an 8-12" kill zone; more than enough really. now if you were trying to zap prairie dogs at 350, then different story. The drawback is the MINIMUM power of 4 may be *too much* for close-in woods hunting. I like 1.5-2 power when hunting in woods, where you cannot see more than 50 yards or so through the trees. The 3 power minimum scope is too much really, but better than 4, so it's all just dependent upon the circumstances. You gonna be doing any woods hunting or not? If so, then definitely the 3-12 or less. If not, then the 4-14 or 4-16 is fine.

rcmodel
June 6, 2009, 03:23 PM
Regardless of woods or not, a 14x or 16x scope is a handicap for deer at 300 yards or less.
Or 500 yards or less.

Mirage, magnified heartbeat & buck fever shakes, narrow field of view, and less light gathering then a lower power scope.

And unless you spend megabucks on a really high quality target scope, a lower power hunting scope for less money will be a better quality scope.

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "3-12 vs 4-16 for South Texas" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!