Any reports on the FN "FNAR" yet?

PDA

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
June 4, 2009, 08:01 PM
Anyone around here tested for accuracy, etc.? My buddy bought one, but he hasn't shot it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any reports on the FN "FNAR" yet?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dr.Rob
June 4, 2009, 08:25 PM
Kokalis at Shotgun News has reviewed it twice. This last go round he was claiming .7 inch 100 yard groups.

The downside? FN thinks you should factory inspect it every 1000 rounds.

JimJD
June 5, 2009, 04:01 AM
Wow, why does FN suggest a factory inspection at a thousand?

Rubber_Duck
June 5, 2009, 04:12 AM
A buddy of mine bought one of these and we shot it side-by-side with my 1944 German Kar 98K sniper at 200 yards and the two rifles were an even match for each other, about 3-inch groups at 200 yards. The ammo for the FNAR was Radway Green 7.62x51mm and the ammo for the Kar 98K was Yugo M75 196 grain "sniper grade" FMJ. The FNAR has a much-softer recoil than the 8mm Nazi rifle, so it was much more pleasant to shoot, as well as being ergonomic, at least more so than the scoped Mauser.

Dr.Rob
June 5, 2009, 01:22 PM
Just reporting what was written, Kokalis disagrees with this completely, but thats apparently what FN recommends.

I suspect its legalize for "don't try to take this apart or adjust the gas system."

Bill_Rights
June 8, 2009, 12:00 AM
Dr.Rob mentioned: I suspect its legalize for "don't try to take this apart or adjust the gas systemThere doesn't seem to be any trouble to working on the FNAR, but some procedures are not explained in the user manual supplied to the buyer. Recall, the FNAR is a police gun, and you're supposed to have a departmental armorer to do the detailed stuff for you. So what you really need is the armorer's manual.

Here's an example of what end-users, not armorers, have figured out. Hats off to Kevin, the "GA cadguy"!

Video on FNAR bolt removal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLuznnkmy2k)

For more general info on the FNAR, there is a whole area for that at the FN-sponsored forum here (http://fnforum.net/viewforum.php?f=99). (You may not be able to go straight to that page; if not start here: http://fnforum.net/ .

lipadj46
June 8, 2009, 12:52 AM
Here's an example of what end-users, not armorers, have figured out. Hats off to Kevin, the "GA cadguy"!

I'm pretty mechanically minded but man that has a bunch of small pieces with too many little screws for me. I'm sure it becomes easier after some practice but not like the 30 second job of removing a bolt from an M14 or AR15 or AK clone.

maskedman504
June 8, 2009, 01:32 AM
Wow, why does FN suggest a factory inspection at a thousand?

Why does Ford have factory suggested maintenance at variance mileage totals?

Arbor
June 8, 2009, 01:37 AM
http://www.gunblast.com/FN-AR.htm

lipadj46
June 8, 2009, 01:41 AM
Why does Ford have factory suggested maintenance at variance mileage totals?

Comparing the complexity of a rifle to a car is like comparing a car to the space shuttle. A factory inspection every 1000 rounds is silly.

maskedman504
June 8, 2009, 02:20 AM
Comparing the complexity of a rifle to a car is like comparing a car to the space shuttle. A factory inspection every 1000 rounds is silly.

The point I was making was not one of mechanical complexity. Regularly scheduled maintenance is a revenue tool.

lipadj46
June 8, 2009, 02:33 AM
Regularly scheduled maintenance is a revenue tool.

As are the proprietary mags they cannot seem to make enough of, it appears FN is all about squeezing the last bit of green goop it can out of it's customer's orifices.

jackdanson
June 8, 2009, 03:13 AM
I have one, I haven't done anything official yet, but I've been poking golf balls at 75-110 yards with it... it's more accurate than I am.

I'll post a group on wednesday.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any reports on the FN "FNAR" yet?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!