OTC 1911 barrels

PDA

10-Ring
January 18, 2003, 01:34 AM
I was thinking about replacing the barrel of my SA Mil Spec. If I do, what kind of accuracy can I expect? I'm not looking for a really nice hand fitted barrel, just something nicer than the 2 piece that came w/ the pistol.

If you enjoyed reading about "OTC 1911 barrels" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Wildalaska
January 18, 2003, 02:05 AM
If you want to do a barrel with not a great deal of fitting, use the Kart EZ Fit..it is a quality barrel that is far more drop in than the Schuman or Bar Stos

WildfitthemlockinglugsAlaska

10-Ring
January 20, 2003, 11:55 AM
Actually I have an uncle from Canada wanting a 40 S&W barrel and he'll be visiting later this month & was thinking about buying a barrel while here. I'm just concerned about accuracy & fit...I guess those little details are more his problems than mine :neener:

Jim K
January 21, 2003, 01:16 AM
Hi, 10-Ring,

I have good news and bad news. The good news is that there are plenty of drop-in barrels available. The bad news is that they might not shoot any better than what you have.

Accurizing a 1911 type is a complex job, involving more than just the barrel. You might try another barrel, but there would be no guarantee of improvement in accuracy.

If you are talking about a .40 S&W conversion to a standard .45, that also involves more than a barrel change. The breech face, the extractor, the feed ramp, the ejector all have to be modified to some extent, and the proper magazines will be needed.

Jim

10-Ring
January 21, 2003, 11:31 AM
Jim -
I talked to my uncle last night. I guess this is going to be a project gun, so he's well aware of the conversion that he'll have to go through before he can actually shoot 40 S&W from his 1911.
Thanks

Dogsoldier
January 21, 2003, 12:43 PM
10-Ring,

Let me clarify some things about drop in fit parts. There are some definitions that you need to understand before embarking on this project.

1. "Drop in fit" gunsmith assistence required

2. "EZ Fit"- need a gunsmith to put it in right

3. "Some minor fitting required"- hire a gunsmith

4. ""minor fitting required" - hire a gunsmith with a machineshop

5. "gunsmith fit only" - hire a gunsmith, machinist, and an engineer.

:neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "OTC 1911 barrels" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!