Michigan hunters

PDA

feedthehogs
June 5, 2009, 06:59 PM
Just got back from your state visiting friends.

Liked it so much I'm closing on some land near Concord next month. It already has food plots and stands on it.

I checked with Mich DNR web site about hunting regs and dates and apparently they are still stuck on leftover spring tags.

Looking for info for fall white tail.
Dates, firearm regs; long gun non BP and hand gun.

It will be non resident permit since for now its just hunting land.
Whats the tag limits. I heard when up there 2 bucks and 5 does.

Thanks for any help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Michigan hunters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lukepriebe
June 5, 2009, 07:46 PM
This can explain it much better than I.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr

MikePGS
June 5, 2009, 08:28 PM
Don't know much about non resident but here the firearm deer season lasts from November 15-November 30. Not very long, but we do grow em big :)

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
June 5, 2009, 08:40 PM
Land oughtta be cheap there as bad as the economy is, no?

Only hunters I know up there are headhunters on the red wings - Darren Helm was the best one last night; honorable mention to Franzen & Stuart.

JImbothefiveth
June 5, 2009, 08:46 PM
Stay away from Detroit, Ypsilanti, etc. I think the state is officially in a depression.

When you get to the more rural areas the state has a good number of people who might be mentally ill, so watch out, because they can be dangerous.

bad_aim_billy
June 6, 2009, 03:36 AM
You'll be in prime deer territory, that's for sure. Please do Michigan a favor and take out some does, because the landowners won't (generations of buck-only mentality, you'll see if you hunt there enough), which means a neverending supply of car-deer accidents.

Better post signs all over your land, because southern MI has poachers and trespassers in large quantities...

gunsandreligion
June 10, 2009, 11:11 PM
As Mike said the firearm season is nov15-30 but there's also a late season for shotguns and doe only I think.

MikePGS
June 11, 2009, 09:31 PM
Liked it so much I'm closing on some land near Concord next month. It already has food plots and stands on it.

I checked with Mich DNR web site about hunting regs and dates and apparently they are still stuck on leftover spring tags.

Looking for info for fall white tail.
Dates, firearm regs; long gun non BP and hand gun.

It will be non resident permit since for now its just hunting land.
Whats the tag limits. I heard when up there 2 bucks and 5 does.

Thanks for any help.
ok a little more info. Concord is in the shotgun only zone, so you can't use a rifle to hunt there. For handguns you need to use straightwalled cartridges, though i believe there are some exceptions for Thompson Contender style handguns.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_37141_37706_37727-31578--,00.html That should answer any other Q's.

Nicodemus38
June 12, 2009, 12:10 AM
out of state residents cannot use, handle, or possess a handgun in the state of michigan unless they have on their person a permit to carry a concealed handgun from their home state.

Muzzleloading rifles are legally in the category of "shotgun' for hunting purposes. However with the current offering of rifled shotgun barrels, you dont really give up much of anything.

and michigan has been in a depression for the last 8 years.

It wouldnt be so bad if jobs existed, or if bus loads of people from ohio or illinois did not come up stealing our jobs every month. Yeah, its a bad fact that no one talks about.

kanook
June 12, 2009, 12:41 PM
out of state residents cannot use, handle, or possess a handgun in the state of michigan unless they have on their person a permit to carry a concealed handgun from their home state.
please post a link to this law. :confused:

Z-Michigan
June 12, 2009, 12:55 PM
When you get to the more rural areas the state has a good number of people who might be mentally ill, so watch out, because they can be dangerous.

Personal experience or any citation for this?

Michigan is an interesting state. I consider rural people south of Clare to be generally normal by midwest rural-people standards. Many of them are downright terrific. Go north of Clare into what is viewed by most as northern Michigan and a lot of things get more complicated, as a result of decades of unemployment, chronic alcoholism, resentment of people from more populous southern Michigan who own cabins or visit up north, and the fact that most of the better educated kids in the north leave and generally don't come back. There are pockets like the traverse bays where things are even more complicated, and then there's the western UP with its former mining culture and perhaps even higher unemployment.

Anyway, the best deer hunting and generally least chance of problems with neighbors is going to be south of I-69/I96 corridor and avoiding the Detroit and Flint metro areas. To the OP, I don't know Concord specifically, but the area it's in should be just fine.

1-UP
June 20, 2009, 04:35 PM
Concord is a great area - good people, lots of farmland. Definitely going to have the "Small Town" feel whether for good or for ill. Don't think you'll run into too many "mentally ill" folks, although there are pockets of...people with rigid views on who belongs and how you should live...floating around. I'm guessing no worse than many other rural areas, but I'd keep it in the back of my mind.

Agree on the tresspassing problem. Folks might only "dip into" your land to get a kill, but it gets some folks pretty worked up, especially if property boundaries aren't clearly marked. Stay away from public land or you're liable to get shot by some ignoramous.

Kill as many darn does as you can. They run rampant around here and cause no ends of problems with car-deer accidents.

Don't know about "Non-residents", but there's a pretty good number of laws against handguns during hunting season. Stuff like "No magazine larger than 10 rounds" and stuff like that. Haven't looked at them in a few years but you'll want to make yourself aware if you choose to carry.

If you enjoyed reading about "Michigan hunters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!