Carrying BP revolvers

PDA

sonier
June 5, 2009, 06:15 PM
I have a question, I live out in the boonies here in colorado. The sheriff dosnt mind open carry at all, so i am having a hard time finding out if i can carry a BP revolver at age 18. Id like to know if it is legal since i dont need to be 21 to get a BP revolver.

If you enjoyed reading about "Carrying BP revolvers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tommygunn
June 5, 2009, 06:20 PM
Quick! ASK A LAWYER!

You need legal advise pertinent to your state!

mljdeckard
June 5, 2009, 06:42 PM
You need to ask your Attorney General/Licensing division.

carebear
June 5, 2009, 08:09 PM
Looks like 18 is the age for OC.

General Open Carry info for Colorado.

http://opencarry.org/co.html

CO does have some prohibited places for loaded open carry so check that out as well.

Rocky Mountain Gun Owners website FAQ

http://www.rmgo.org/faq/#OpenCarry

The RMGO would be a great resource for you to get in contact with, they can put you in touch with the right legal resources.

Oh, per CO and Federal law, assuming you aren't otherwise a "prohibited person", you can buy a handgun of any type at age 18, just not from a Federally licensed dealer. Private party purchases would be legal.

sonier
June 5, 2009, 10:45 PM
thankyou so much carebear, thats the info ive been searching for but no luck. so i finally got some contacts and clarity thankyou once again :)

HowardC
June 7, 2009, 05:15 PM
...to access and learn the specific state statutes and stay current. No detracting from CareBear's advice, but becoming knowledgeable of the state laws is always a good idea, regardless of topic.

See:
http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=

If the link fails, most firearms laws are at: Colorado Revised statutes, Title 18, sec 12, et al. Deadly force laws are at 18, Article 1, sec 700 et al. Just search a little. It is also good to read the applications of the law following the actual cite.

Also, most county sheriff sites have fair copies of the specific laws at their concealed carry sites, but often just pertain to concealed carry.

It takes a bit to get used to the legalese in the verbage of the statutes, but it's worth the while.

Good luck, -Howard

alemonkey
June 7, 2009, 07:24 PM
To be on the safe side, I'd get a letter from the Sherrif's department. And keep it with you when you OC.

nalioth
June 7, 2009, 07:42 PM
Currently, outside of Denver, car carry is unrestricted and localities are almost completely preempted in enforcing firearms restrictions, and must post specific facilities which are off limits to open carry.

. . . and a BP pistol isn't even legally considered a firearm. . . .

TexasRifleman
June 7, 2009, 07:50 PM
To be on the safe side, I'd get a letter from the Sherrif's department. And keep it with you when you OC.

I wouldn't count on that helping much. Prosecutors wouldn't really be interested I'm afraid. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, and a letter from the Sheriff is not legal advice.

The only kind of written thing that would help would be a genuine legal opinion from either the State's attorney general office or possibly something from the local prosecutor himself.

and a BP pistol isn't even legally considered a firearm. . . .

Have to be very careful with that one. While a BP pistol isn't considered a firearm for purposes of interstate commerce, it's a firearm anyway in many states once loaded.
Not sure about Colorado.

Can't remember where but I've seen statutes in states in the past that called it a firearm once it was loaded and capable of being fired.

nalioth
June 7, 2009, 08:25 PM
and a BP pistol isn't even legally considered a firearm. . . .
Have to be very careful with that one. While a BP pistol isn't considered a firearm for purposes of interstate commerce, it's a firearm anyway in many states once loaded.
Not sure about Colorado.

Can't remember where but I've seen statutes in states in the past that called it a firearm once it was loaded and capable of being fired. One would hope the laws for "intent to inflict bodily harm" would suffice, if used improperly.

We really need to get away from these laws on inanimate objects.

TexasRifleman
June 7, 2009, 08:28 PM
We really need to get away from these laws on inanimate objects.

No question. Seems like it was one of the "usual suspects" of NY, NJ, IL, CA etc but they had some odd classification that counted BP as a firearm once "primed" or some odd language like that. Wish I could remember where I saw it.

Shung
June 7, 2009, 08:30 PM
be carefull on carrying cap&ball's.

And I am not talking about laws..

If you enjoyed reading about "Carrying BP revolvers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!