Who makes these AR-15 mags??

PDA

CoRoMo
June 5, 2009, 10:27 PM
Do any of you know who makes the no-name Cabela's AR-15 mags located in the link below?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0037533227946a&type=product&cmCat=womenssale_2009_122308-catrtsr

Their chart, towards the bottom, describes the AR-15 mags as "Colt AR-15 .223", but let's not fool ourselves. Who makes these mags?

If you enjoyed reading about "Who makes these AR-15 mags??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lipadj46
June 5, 2009, 11:39 PM
My question is why bother even worrying about it when you can buy pmag 30 rounders for $15?

edelbrock
June 5, 2009, 11:49 PM
Yeah I doubt those are Colt mags. Like it was said, I would just get a pmag.

P.B.Walsh
June 6, 2009, 12:09 AM
Looks like it got some bad reveiws (2.3 out of 5 stars).

CoRoMo
June 6, 2009, 12:10 AM
My question is why bother even worrying about it

Well... I guess because I just recieved $100 in Cabela's gift cards from my credit card rewards. I would like to use all of that $100 to up my AR mag stock.

But when all I have to choose from is THIS, what would you suggest?
The Bushy mags?
Triple K?
Tapco?:barf: (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/home/doorway-home.jsp?vendor=doorway2009/door_ar15.jsp&cmCat=catrtsr)

ants
June 6, 2009, 12:16 AM
I've never used Triple K rifle magazines, but several of us bought pistol mags and we're amazed at the reliability and quality. We use them for IPSC/USPSA pistol shoots and none of us have ever had a problem or failure. But I can't speak for their rifle mags because I've never used them.

Go to the ar15 boards and ask them, maybe they've used Triple K mags for AR rifles.

CoRoMo
June 6, 2009, 12:28 AM
I've never used Triple K rifle magazines, but several of us bought pistol mags and we're amazed at the reliability and quality.

I can't agree more. My dad has purchased their pistol mags. They are 100%.
I'm sure the AR mags are as well. But $45 for a pair? Whatcha think?

Mooseman
June 6, 2009, 01:26 AM
Alright, I know this is a dumb question but what exactly is a pmag and how are they different/better than other mags?

cbrgator
June 6, 2009, 01:33 AM
Pmags are a ultra-durable, ultra reliable polymer mags made by Magpul. They have quickly become the standard in AR magazines.

RP88
June 6, 2009, 02:13 AM
bravocompany (and just about everyone else now) has the good ol' GI aluminum/teflon mags back in stock for 12-14 bucks with the magpul followers. I'd take those over PMags.

kilo729
June 6, 2009, 02:30 AM
If you get the no-name mags from Cabelas - get magpul's anti-tilt follower and you'll have a fine mag.

Stinger
June 6, 2009, 10:54 AM
Pmags are a ultra-durable, ultra reliable polymer mags made by Magpul. They have quickly become the standard in AR magazines.

Or they could be the flavor of the week. GI Magazines have a long track record. PMags have been out a very short period. Time will tell, and I have some, but I'm not investing completely in them.

I have had exactly one AR-15 jam, and it was with a PMag - double feed. Never one problem with my aluminum ones. Was it PMag's fault? I don't know...I do know it hasn't happened before or since. The jury is still out with this skeptic.

lipadj46
June 6, 2009, 11:15 AM
GI Magazines have a long track record

Of being the weakest link as far as reliability goes in the M16/AR15 platform. But yes USGI mags are fine with a good follower but if I had to choose between aluminum and good polymer mags I will take polymer.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who makes these AR-15 mags??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!