Para GI Expert is the best 1911 deal on the market for $

PDA

S&WMP45
June 6, 2009, 02:30 AM
i just bought the new para gi expert 1911 about 3 weeks ago, for the money there is no other 1911 that can touch it.

the feed ramp and barrel throat are highly polished, the extractor is even highly polished.

the muzzle is precision crowned, and the slide is HAND fitted to the frame. there is no play whatsoever in the slide to frame fit it. also has a match grade 4-4.5 lb trigger pull.

it always fires with no problems and shoots one hole groups. tell me of another 1911 out there that has these features and capabilities for $550 (what i paid) for a straight from the factory 1911.

i just want to mention also, i have no clue as to why para does not mention these features on their website, maybe the move to NC has them behind on things?

anyone else here have this gun? let's hear some additional reviews! (or questions)

If you enjoyed reading about "Para GI Expert is the best 1911 deal on the market for $" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
railroader
June 6, 2009, 02:40 AM
I saw those for sale about a month ago. They look like a lot of gun for the money. I was interested until I found out it could be shipped to california. :cuss:

Mark

SCBradley
June 6, 2009, 04:53 AM
Don't feed the trolls. (http://forums.1911forum.com/showpost.php?p=2219388&postcount=9)

kentucky_smith
June 6, 2009, 08:35 AM
RIA
Springfield MilSpec or GI
used Colt
STI Spartan

nelson133
June 6, 2009, 09:45 AM
The RIA Tactical is a better gun for many dollars less.

ROBBY.1911
June 6, 2009, 12:48 PM
para uses investment cast slides. until they switch to forged slides they are not going to get my money. and i would dearly love to have a couple of them.

Zach S
June 6, 2009, 01:01 PM
I only have one Para, and the frame/slide fit is pretty sloppy. The extractor wouldn't hold tension until I replaced it with a wilson BP, the stainless steel doesn't resist rust as well as my blued thompson, and it hangs up with a limp wrist if I dont change the recoil spring every 500 rounds or so (its a 3.5" gun).

On the other hand, my used $500 Kimber resists rust very well, didnt give me any problems in the first 5000 rounds that I owned it. It still hasn't given any problems, but for that first 5k, all I did was shoot it, oil it, an pull a boresnake through every now and then. My stainless pistol looked parkerized on the inside. I had to bead blast it to get it clean.

The Lone Haranguer
June 6, 2009, 02:05 PM
If you got a P-O that functions, more power to you. :p

rbernie
June 6, 2009, 02:53 PM
I bought a Para GI ExSpurt about six weeks ago. It shoots fine, and functions as well as any other basic 1911 I own. It also uses some of the cheesiest lookin' cast bits known to man, but I can live with that so long as they work.

More importantly to me, I am pretty pissed that Para can't see fit to stick to standard 1911 blueprints and keep their parts interchangable with 'normal' 1911 pattern bits. If you want to swap bits to customize the pistol, be aware that something as innocuous as an extended mag release from any reputable vendor WILL NOT FIT in the ExSpurt. It may not sound like a big deal, but I am not impressed with a 1911-pattern pistol maker who feels the need to go proprietary with the dimension of something as silly as a mag release.

In my neck o' the woods, the Para GI is about the same cost as a new Springer MilSpec or a RIA/Citadel Tactical or a used Nork or 1991 Colt. Knowing now what I didn't know six weeks ago - I'd probably pick up the Para last in that lineup of choices.

S&WMP45
June 6, 2009, 03:34 PM
i've heard reservations about cast frames and slides, ruger has been using them for years and with no problems, and their durability is well known.

i've never heard of any problems with para's cast stuff either.

i've heard of the "power extractor" breaking, but the gi expert does not have the power extractor, it has a standard one.

i guess i would rather have forged, but it really doesn't make a difference to me, as long as the gun performs.

i have handled other para's where the frame to slide fit did have a lot of play, not sure why they suddenly decided to hand fit the gi expert tightly, but they sure did a great job on it.

i was actually thinking of getting an alloy LTC, but that loose slide to frame fit isn't very appealing.

as for aftermarket parts fitting, there are aftermarket parts my specifically for para's, i'm not sure which ones fit the gi expert, or if standard parts would fit this partiular para model, but i'm sure you could call a gunsmith at para and ask. they even have a pro shop that can install custom parts for you too.

the sa mil spec is more $ than the gi expert in my area. it came down to either that or the para, i thought with all the features the para comes with it was a better deal. considering the gi expert has several hundrel dollars more worth of custom work than the sa mil spec, i decided on that one. nothing wrong with the sa mil spec though, fine gun too.

schmeky
June 6, 2009, 05:12 PM
I would like to some written proof that a lower end model in a manufacturers line up has a hand fitted frame/slide. Besides, this is not a significant factor in improved accuracy.

A 1911 not made to 1911 specs would, as rbernie pointed out, would be a no-go for me. I have nothing against Para, but a 1911 should be just that.

rbernie
June 6, 2009, 05:29 PM
A 1911 not made to 1911 specs would, as rbernie pointed out, would be a no-go for me. I have nothing against Para, but a 1911 should be just that.That's kinda the point of a 1911, isn't it?

I mean, I don't buy a Para to have a Para. I buy a Para to have a 1911. I don't care if it has Para or Springfield or anyone else's name on the side of it.

I'm not buying the name. I'm buying a 1911-pattern pistol.

Like I said, mine has worked fine so far. It's not functionally bad. But it is disappointing that I will have to use some proprietary parts to keep it running or modify it, when another vendor's mil-spec-lookin' 1911 pistol would have let me use the plethora of 1911 aftermarket bits.

S&WMP45
June 6, 2009, 05:34 PM
call para to confirm the hand fit slide to frame if you'd like. there is an online review that mentions the hand fit slide to frame too, but i forgot the website.

this is not an expensive procedure considering the other cost cutting measures, cast slide and frame, plastic trigger/mainspring housing. it's just that para put more effort into reliability and accuracy on the gi expert than other things (like pretty grips for example).

but like i said, if you don't believe me call para and talk to a gunsmith, they'll confirm it:)

Mags
June 6, 2009, 05:49 PM
Didn't like mine and sold it.

S&WMP45
June 6, 2009, 05:50 PM
sold what, and why? i little info would help lol

Mags
June 6, 2009, 05:51 PM
sold what? i little info would help lol
Uhhh... Maybe the gun in the thread title just maybe...
And I sold it because the parts were cheap the gun was inaccurate and I found my Springfield I already had to be a better firearm.

S&WMP45
June 6, 2009, 07:09 PM
how are the parts cheap? did any break?

schmeky
June 6, 2009, 07:29 PM
call para to confirm the hand fit slide to frame if you'd like.

With all due respect, you made the statement, I shouldn't have to back it up. All hand fitting is expensive. It would make much more sense to fit a match barrel bushing, which would yeild a far greater increase in accuracy, than the slide/frame fit.

Oro
June 6, 2009, 07:36 PM
With all due respect, you made the statement, I shouldn't have to back it up.

Schmeky, see SCBradley's post #3 above!

schmeky
June 6, 2009, 08:01 PM
Oro,

You're right, thanx for setting me straight.:o

Frog48
June 6, 2009, 08:08 PM
I tend to think of the "GI Expert" as an odd duck.

They need to make up their mind, and either put on a real beavertail with the commander hammer, or stick with the original style grip safety with GI spur hammer. The quasi-GI grip safety with commander hammer is just a strange looking configuration, in my opinion.

PA Freedom
June 6, 2009, 08:31 PM
Ive had my share of 1911 drama over the years. Two people own the same make and model and 1 is tight, accurate and reliable while the other is loose, inaccurate and unreliable, etc, etc, etc. I currently have 2 Kimbers with multiple issues and after several trips back to the factory, I still don't trust them enough to carry. I know several people who save the same models as me that have no issues. That being said, I have had absolutely no problems with my GI Expert.

Mags
June 6, 2009, 08:32 PM
how are the parts cheap? did any break?
The cheap plastic grips broke and the finish wore off on the guide rod retainer cap after one shooting session. Also the slide stop finish wore off after the first few dissasemblies.

S&WMP45
June 6, 2009, 09:13 PM
i've not experienced anything like that, mine's been great.:D

S&WMP45
June 6, 2009, 09:19 PM
oh and the para does have a fitted match bushing too, and no, it's not that expensive. (i've only seen a bushing fitted this perfectly on higher end models)

no ones asking anyone to prove anything here lol (we're not in court), you can verify it yourself-or not, i doesn't matter to me, SCHMEKY

Zach S
June 6, 2009, 10:03 PM
If you want to swap bits to customize the pistol, be aware that something as innocuous as an extended mag release from any reputable vendor WILL NOT FIT in the ExSpurt.Or a Para C7.45 LDA... I ran into that, as well as well as a customer (with the same pistol) that had a broken mag release...

09HKP30
June 25, 2009, 07:04 PM
I bought mine yesterday after looking at it with a SA 1911.
I went to the gunshop to buy the Springfield,more out of sentiment as they were the ones who, with Colt made them the most in the beginning, but then after the owner showed me the Para GIexpert and i compared the feel, the sights, the weight and the 50 dollars in price plus got an extra mag, i went with the Para.
Today I shot it and it worked great and shot very very accurately.
So I have to say, I am very happy with my Para after the first outing.
Right up there with my
HK P30
Sig P250
Bersa 380
S&W Model 66
and now my Para 1911 GI expert

S&WMP45
June 25, 2009, 11:51 PM
yeah you really can't beat the gi expert for the money

rbernie
June 26, 2009, 08:09 AM
Sure you can. I recently bought a very very lightly used 1991 Colt ORM for $525. It's light years better finished and kitted than the Para, and is far closer to 'in spec' than the Para.

My point is that you *can* do better. You may just choose to stop looking when you get to the Para. And that's OK - I have one myself.

But it's not the best inexpensive 1911 on the market, when all factors are considered.

I will also note that my RIA Tactical is consistently, session after session, more accurate in offhand shooting at 15 yards than my Para GI, despite the assertations by some that the Para has a 'match' bushing and hand-fitted slide...

hso
June 26, 2009, 08:27 AM
Had the gun for a month and making the claim " Para GI Expert is the best 1911 deal on the market for $ "?

That's just silly. Run a thousand rounds through it and then the claim may have some value. Until then it's just a new toy.

paul45
June 26, 2009, 10:34 AM
I went to the gunshop to buy the Springfield,more out of sentiment as they were the ones who, with Colt made them the most in the beginning,

Ahhhhh.....you might want to investigate Springfield a little more. You might find they have absolutely NOTHING to do with Springfield Armory that ceased to exist in 1968, except they bought the name and fool some people with deceptive advertising.

mljdeckard
June 26, 2009, 11:44 AM
A good friend of mine recently bought a Para as part of a special order for a military unit with custom graphics. When we got it, the guide rod assembly was stuck in the slide. They had pressed it so hard in a vise to (I'm guessing) install the night sights, they damaged it. Back to the factory.

Another friend of mine got a Hawg nine that won't cycle anything reliably after two trips back to the factory. From my recent experience, Para is great ideas with VERY shoddy workmanship. And I'm not one of these guys who goes over the finish with a magnifying glass, I just want my guns to work. Never had any kind of problem with my Kimber Custom II.

hso
June 26, 2009, 12:17 PM
You might find they have absolutely NOTHING to do with Springfield Armory that ceased to exist in 1968,

Yep, the name is all that is in common with the Springfield Armory military armory in Springfield MA that produced weapons for many of the wars fought by the US from 1794 to 1968. Springfield Armory made almost 60,000 1911s between 1914 and 1917. I'm grateful for the fact that the site was made a National Historic Site and taken over by the National Park Service in 1974 instead of being demolished.

The current Springfield Armory company in Genesco, IL has no relationship with the military armory in Springfield, MA.

Rockwell1
June 26, 2009, 02:54 PM
The current Springfield Armory company in Genesco, IL has no relationship with the military armory in Springfield, MA.

Isn't it amqazing what you can learn on the internet

bdb benzino
June 26, 2009, 03:25 PM
I am supprized that nobody has mentioned the American Classic 2 or the Firestorm made by Metro arms, its a great gun for the money. When comparing to the GI expert, it has almost the same features but has a forged slide where the Para does not, and it is $100 less than the Para. Now for the money it is great, but I wont say you cant find a better deal, as a couple weeks ago I found a used Springfield Loaded for $490. It performs great and only has a little holster wear. You got to love those good deals on used pistols!!!

S&WMP45
June 26, 2009, 05:35 PM
i have serious doubts that an ria 1911 can outshoot my para gi expert, considering my gi expert can empty a clip into one ragged hole at 15 yards (just did it again at the range a little while ago). i have met at least a half dozen people with various para's that all love them.

anyone can experience problems with any gun manufacturer, it's just the nature of mass produced products.

however, some are worse than others:

as for colt, never seen none that was fitted as well as my gi expert.

i was seriously unimpressed with the new colt xse lw commanders that i've seen in local gun shops. one of them was extremely loose on the slide to frame fit, and the ambi thumb safety was falling off! another one i saw had a much heavier trigger pull on it. i've heard bad things about colt's quality control and now i know why. if you get a good colt, consider yourself lucky. they charge $900 for these too, not a good deal.

i just bought springer champion operator for $725-awesome 1911!

S&WMP45
June 26, 2009, 05:45 PM
QUOTE:

Today, 08:27 AM #30
hso

Had the gun for a month and making the claim " Para GI Expert is the best 1911 deal on the market for $ "?

That's just silly. Run a thousand rounds through it and then the claim may have some value. Until then it's just a new toy.

your statement makes no sense. how do you know how many rounds i've fired so far? got a crystal ball or something? and what does sending 1,000 through a gun have to do with anything?

atomd
June 26, 2009, 05:53 PM
I can think of at least 3 or 4 other 1911 style pistols within $100 (from less expensive to more expensive) that I would consider to be a better deal and also a better product. I'm glad you like yours though...and that's all that really matters.

S&WMP45
June 26, 2009, 05:57 PM
thanks for the friendly post, atomb, even though we disagree lol, what are the other one's your referring to?

farscott
June 26, 2009, 06:09 PM
In my limited experience, the best 1911 value pistol is the STI Spartan. Mine cost me about $550, and it comes with the STI trigger and hammer, a chromed barrel with a decent crown, a decent sear and disconnect, a decent adjustable rear sight, a fiber optic front sight, a well fit bushing to frame, and a well-fit barrel to bushing. Accuracy is good enough for my purposes. The trigger feels better than any factory gun that I tried with an MSRP of less than $1800.

How did STI do it? They sent some of their parts to the Philippines, have Armscor build the guns, ship them back to Texas, inspect them, and sell them. It is an interesting combo of American parts, Filipino parts, Filipino labor, and American standards.

atomd
June 26, 2009, 06:11 PM
the Springfield GI , Springfield Mil-spec, STI Spartan, and RIA. I think I'll also add the Taurus PT1911 to that list too even though I'm not a big Taurus fan in general. There are pluses and minuses to every single one I listed...and I didn't put them in any particular order.

I can say that personally, I might not ever buy any of those....but if I had to spend around that amount of money on one, that's the direction that I'd go. I didn't include used models because who knows what you will find. You also have to have a good understanding of the 1911 to shop for a used one. People do crazy things with guns, especially 1911s and a used one can be hit or miss. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

mljdeckard
June 26, 2009, 07:30 PM
I've never heard of a 1911 that CAN'T make a ragged hole @ 15 yards. This includes final generation army models with a new barrel, bushing, and link.

polekitty
June 26, 2009, 07:42 PM
I've been "carrying" for maybe fifty years. I prefer my 1911 condition one. My weapon is a garden variety, ordinary, Para P-14. It oesn't have a beavertail---the only thing I ever found useful about a beavertail was it made a good handle to get the thing out of the holster. It's been totally reliable out of the box, umpteen years ago. Everything fits tight, no "jungle." And every once in awhile I actually clean and oil it! It's the one gun I (presently) own that I bet my life on. If I live long enough (which I doubt) I might get to learn how to shoot better than my P-14 does. And yes, just like every other owner of more than one gun, I'm continually shopping for another something or other, and yes everything I own is intended for CCW.

CWL
June 26, 2009, 07:50 PM
and what does sending 1,000 through a gun have to do with anything?

If you don't understand this, then you really don't understand pistols, how to break them in and when they can be deemed reliable.

Normally I would welcome you to THR, but boasting about a month-old pistol isn't going to impress anyone here.

I've owned a P-13 for over a decade, decent shooter, more accurate than I am (even without a fitted match bushing/barrel), but not reliable enough to stake my life on.

S&WMP45
June 26, 2009, 08:27 PM
QUOTE:

CWL

Quote:
and what does sending 1,000 through a gun have to do with anything?
If you don't understand this, then you really don't understand pistols, how to break them in and when they can be deemed reliable.

Normally I would welcome you to THR, but boasting about a month-old pistol isn't going to impress anyone here.

I've owned a P-13 for over a decade, decent shooter, more accurate than I am (even without a fitted match bushing/barrel), but not reliable enough to stake my life on.

RESPONSE:

so, according to you, people shouldn't be allowed to post a thread about a gun they've just had for a month? by that logic, there would hardly be any threads on here.

AND there was actually no mention of "break in" in the post i was responding to. hmmm...maybe you should read a post before responding, ya think?

plus the para gi expert only needs a 500 round break in (as mentioned in the instructions!)

and no one's looking for your hospitality here, or trying to impress you.

if you don't have anything pertinent to ad to a thread, you should keep your uninformed comments to yourself

i'm sure when it comes to guns, my knowledge far exceeds yours.

CWL
June 26, 2009, 08:36 PM
Yup, you sure must be smart.

S&WMP45
June 26, 2009, 08:42 PM
gee thanx

Mags
June 26, 2009, 08:46 PM
Hey M&P45 you do anything custom to your para? If you did pics are a must. Anyways earlier in this thread I mentioned I didn't really care for my GI expert now I kinda wish I had given it a chance, maybe it just needed more rounds through it and a better set of grips and sights.

S&WMP45
June 26, 2009, 08:49 PM
hi real mags, no i sure haven't done anything custom.

wouldn't mind a beavertail, some front strap checkering and an undercut trigger guard though. all this stuff requires a refinish on the frame, i don't want to spend that kind of money right now, and it's not a necessity either-it's a great gun the way it is already :)

i'm too lazy to take pics lol

yeah always give it a chance when you like it, if there was a prob, para would fix it

what kind of issues were you having with yours?

bdb benzino
June 26, 2009, 09:08 PM
I'm sure when it comes to guns, my knowledge far exceeds yours
What are you, six???

S&WMP45
June 26, 2009, 09:14 PM
QUOTE:

bdb benzino

Quote:
I'm sure when it comes to guns, my knowledge far exceeds yours
What are you, six???

this is a "no whining" thread

if you don't have anything pertinent to add to the topic, save the cry baby stuff for your relatives-they HAVE to listen to it.

bdb benzino
June 26, 2009, 09:59 PM
Not whining about anything, just bringing to light your factless and adolesent responses to people. If there was a definition of troll......

Mags
June 26, 2009, 10:03 PM
Calm down guys seriously, 4 posts total and you are already calling someone a troll. Anyways any more about the PAra?

DHJenkins
June 26, 2009, 10:38 PM
I got my STI Spartan brand new for the same price, and I'd put its fit, features & performance above the para.

rbernie
June 26, 2009, 10:54 PM
so, according to you, people shouldn't be allowed to post a thread about a gun they've just had for a month?Sure, you can. We encourage it.

We also encourage intellectual honesty and realistic evaluations. i just bought the new para gi expert 1911 about 3 weeks ago, for the money there is no other 1911 that can touch it. Such a glowing recommendation and strong statement after three weeks of ownership and with no alternative pistols against which you make your first-hand evaluation, is simply not intellectually defensible.

Words matter. Just because it's the Internet doesn't mean that we can leave our intellectual rigor by the wayside.

I am glad you like your Para. I have the same model, and I'm not disappointed with it in terms of its functioning or accuracy. But it's not the most accurate, nor is it actually a 100% parts-compatible 1911-pattern pistol, nor is it made from the best parts, and so forth. As a result, it is NOT the best value in its price range.

Shoot it and enjoy it.

But don't try to blow smoke up my kilt, because I'm far too old and cranky (and experienced) to willingly accept such things.

S&WMP45
June 27, 2009, 01:27 AM
well i'm not sure what the amount of time that i've owned it has to do with anything.

it's actually the performance of the gi expert at the range and the amount of rounds fired through it that count!

i looked at an sti spartan, and didn't see the same quality in the philippine made spartan that i see in the para, at all. the slide to frame fit, trigger pull, and barrel quality on the spartan were all inferior to the gi expert.

not saying it's a bad gun though, seemed nice. glad you like it though, to each his own, and thanx for your opinion

you can find parts for it the gi expert too, even if it's not standard, most 1911's will require minor fitting anyway, so it's not different in this respect.

sorry to hear you wear a kilt though, might fly in scotland, but is rather demasculating in america :)

S&WMP45
June 27, 2009, 01:32 AM
no more whiners crying about trolls lol

only friendly posts here please :)

DasFriek
June 27, 2009, 10:31 AM
rbernie-Im rather impressed with your level headed responce,hopefully i can do the same.

S&WMP45-Ive read this thread a few times and its given me some mental images i thought id share.
I see you standing on a hill proclaiming you and your para the "King of the 1911 hill" all be it the lower end of the range.And you dare people to try and knock you off your top spot with facts.
But the facts stand at this: you got a good gun and it works well for you and you like it.
Ive seen many a thread about $400-$600 price ranged 1911's and the Para is always at the bottom of the list.Not because its a bad weapon,but because it has some cons people dont like.
I like my 1911 alot,but i wouldnt give it diservice buy proclaiming it the "King of 1911's"

S&WMP45
June 27, 2009, 10:38 AM
lol i never said i thought the gi expert was "the king of the hill"

actually i just fired my new springer champion operator at the range, only put 50 rouns through it, but despite the shorter barrel it shoots tighter groups than my gi expert

rbernie
June 27, 2009, 11:30 AM
you can find parts for it the gi expert too, even if it's not standard, most 1911's will require minor fitting anyway, so it's not different in this respect.
It *is* different. There is a difference between gunsmith-fitted parts like a thumb safety and parts that are truely standard, like a mag release.

The only way to fit a replacement mag release to the Para is to spend three hours or more reshaping the standard 1911 part to fit into the weird Para frame cutout.

That's not a huge deal, if you like the Para and don't plan on putting 'other' 1911 parts in it. But if you ever have an issue with that part (maybe from the Para cast part breaking?), you may be sad that you can only get a replacement from Para and cannot use the millions of aftermarket/alternative manufacturer parts in replacement.

actually i just fired my new springer champion operator at the range, only put 50 rouns through it, but despite the shorter barrel it shoots tighter groups than my gi expert Thus proving out the old axiom that whetever you have in hand is always the best, until you try something else and THAT becomes the best.

:)

Shoot well...

S&WMP45
June 27, 2009, 12:07 PM
yeah i hear ya on the compatability issue, but i'd send my gi expert to the para pro shop for the custome work anyway, just so it wouldn't void the warranty. i heard para's real anal about custom work voiding your warranty.

wickedsprint
June 27, 2009, 01:30 PM
Current Colts can be purchased new for ~700 and are much better guns made with much better forged steel.

A Springfield GI can be found for the same price and is also forged like a 1911 should be.

The para might be a nice gun, but at >$500 I'll definitely go somewhere else.

A cast 1911 is a deal breaker for me. Rugers were designed to be cast, 1911s are not.

If a cast 1911 was not a deal breaker, then $550 for a cast 1911 is definitely a deal breaker.

Jolly Rogers
June 27, 2009, 06:57 PM
Posted by S&WMP45
yeah i hear ya on the compatability issue, but i'd send my gi expert to the para pro shop for the custome work anyway, just so it wouldn't void the warranty. i heard para's real anal about custom work voiding your warranty.

Not a good sign in my opinion. Any unmodded part should still be covered in the manufacturing and defects warranty. The difficulties dealing with Para aren't worth the heartburn dealing with any problems. Good customer service is a trait I value highly when considering a product.
Joe

Tacbandit
June 28, 2009, 12:46 AM
Hey, if you like it.......keep it and shoot it....you're the one that has to be happy..Happy shooting

LancerMW
June 28, 2009, 12:59 AM
dude the STI Spartan is just an amazing 1911 for the cash, it easily competes with higher priced 1911, like the Kimber Custom, higher priced Springers ect. i have nother bad to say bout the Spartan and think it is easily the best lower priced 1911

Sapper771
June 28, 2009, 11:32 AM
An STI Spartan can be had for around the same price and it is just as accurate as a lot of $1500-$2000 1911s. I can say this because we were shooting it side by side some very nice semi-custom 1911s. It may be made in the Phillipines, but STI backs it with their warranty.

I have not been impressed with Para's quality. My Brother had a stainless P-14 Limited in 45. We had just shot it and were picking up the brass when I found a little silver disc on the ground. I picked it up and it was smooth on one side and serrated on the other. I realized what it was and asked my brother for the Para. He gave it to me and I looked at the muzzle.......the serrated nub on the recoil spring plug had popped off. it looked like it was just glued on. I told him that that was not suppose to happen. We lost respect for Para after that happened.

TimboKhan
June 28, 2009, 12:11 PM
well i'm not sure what the amount of time that i've owned it has to do with anything.

Wait.... What? You don't understand why you owning a gun for a month and then referring thusly:

i just bought the new para gi expert 1911 about 3 weeks ago, for the money there is no other 1911 that can touch it.

might be a little hard to swallow? Good for you that you got a great pistol, but it's a little dubious to heap praise upon it when you haven't had a month. I am sure plenty of people had Yugo's that ran for more than a month, and look how that turned out.

Now, you may be right. Time may prove your statement correct. But if you can't see where delivering such high praise after such a short period of time is basically nothing more than hyperbole, then I don't think we can have an intelligent discussion about this.

Also, there is nothing "demasculating" about wearing a kilt in America. I won't say I see them every day, but I do see them a lot, and I have yet to ever think anything other than "hey, nice kilt".

S&WMP45
June 28, 2009, 12:51 PM
it's been a month and a half (if that matters) and 500 rounds-still an awesome gun!

not many rounds of course, but like i said already-it's the amount of rounds and performance at the range that count, not the time owned (a couple folks apparently missed the point on this one;))

if this doesn't meet your exacting standards for a review, you don't have to like my thread (or read it) lol it is a free country ya know:neener:

TimboKhan
June 29, 2009, 02:44 PM
it's the amount of rounds and performance at the range that count, not the time owned

Sigh. What you are overlooking is long-term performance, which is the point we are all trying to make to you. No one gives a hoot about short-term performance. I don't think anyone cares about round count in terms of "Hey, you shot X and that means your gun is awesome", but I think what we are all trying to say is that a small number of rounds over a small period of time does not make for a particularly good review. At best, it makes for a good first impression. I think we all can agree that it is cool that you like your gun and that it is working out well for you, but I also think we can all agree that we are more interested to see what you think of it in a year, once you have had time to get to know the gun a little better.

mljdeckard
June 29, 2009, 02:51 PM
I once bought a S&W Sigma .40 based on a article where they shot it 100,000 times, and it turned out to be a doorstop.

I've carried my Kimber on ATVs, survival hikes, hunting, indoor and outdoor ranges, shot probably 10,000 rounds of .22 through it with a conversion kit, and carried it pretty much daily for about six years. I don't remember the last time I had a FTE, or FTF. I have no intentions of changing to another gun. I will probably be buried with it. I would carry it to war tomorrow if I were allowed to.

S&WMP45
June 29, 2009, 03:34 PM
i'm pretty sure i'm allowed to say my gun is awesome, even after only 500 rounds, and really don't give two craps if you have an issue with it, TimboKhan.

so, according to you, no one should review a gun unless they've owned it for a year? i'm pretty sure that would eliminate most of the threads on here. most folks like to hear a first impression on a new gun; you're the only one that seems to be whining about that fact.

plus, you can always stay off the thread, if you don't like the topic.

Mongoose
June 29, 2009, 04:13 PM
I've seen a pic of a ParaUSA 1911 that a slide snappd in two. That's enough to make me stay away from them:barf:

maskedman504
June 29, 2009, 04:18 PM
Reading the linked post in the 3rd reply did it for me.

BUGUDY
June 29, 2009, 04:26 PM
RIA Tactical , $400 for a flawless tackdriver. 1K+ rounds.

predator20
June 29, 2009, 05:42 PM
I was finally able to shoot the one I bought. Shot 4 magazines through it, 2 Para, 1 Colt and 1 Mec-gar. Haven't been able to get my own ammo, so I used my dads. Otherwise I would have shot it a little more. The only problem I had was a failure to feed on the last round with the Colt mag.

My dad has a Taurus PT 1911. The only two things I like about it over the Para is the front checkering and the full length guide rod. The finish seems better on the Para it's a satin black, where the Taurus has a dull almost grey finish. Doesn't seem like it would hold up well, time will tell. I like the plainness of the Para.

I actually wanted a Springfield Mil-Spec. But all on Gun Broker at the time was the base GI models or Mil-Spec stainless. Overall I'm pretty happy with my Para. If I wanted to customize a 1911 (will someday), I'd buy a Colt and go from there. I really like this one. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=457183

S&WMP45
June 29, 2009, 06:05 PM
hi predator20-glad to hear you like your gi expert. colt/springer mags don't seem to fit right in the gi expert. para mags are a hair wider and longer, nickel plated too.

the finish on my gi expert came off in a really tiny spot on the corner of the rear slide, no big deal though. hopefully it'll hold up better on the rest of the gun.

Mags
June 29, 2009, 06:34 PM
I had finish problems on my GI Expert as well.

S&WMP45
June 29, 2009, 06:40 PM
yeah it looks nice, but doesn't seem too durable, unfortunately.

thanx for the nice post REAL MAGS

TimboKhan
June 29, 2009, 08:23 PM
i just bought the new para gi expert 1911 about 3 weeks ago, for the money there is no other 1911 that can touch it

Who's whining? I said I am glad you like your gun. I also said that I think that the above statement, that you made, is a bit lofty for having only owned it for a short period of time. Frankly, a number of gun reviews on here are made after the shooter acquaints himself with the gun; others are made but are labeled as first impressions. For that matter, you somewhat prove yourself wrong anyway, by illustrating how it isn't a glowing beacon of pure awesomeness like your first post indicated:

the finish on my gi expert came off in a really tiny spot on the corner of the rear slide

colt/springer mags don't seem to fit right in the gi expert

Awesome. A 1911 that doesn't accept 1911 mags.

You said this:

ctually i just fired my new springer champion operator at the range, only put 50 rouns through it, but despite the shorter barrel it shoots tighter groups than my gi expert

After you said this:

it always fires with no problems and shoots one hole groups. tell me of another 1911 out there that has these features and capabilities for $550 (what i paid) for a straight from the factory 1911.

So, does your Champion shoot smaller .45 one hole groups? Also, to directly answer your question, the Taurus PT1911 seems to have everything your has, and it is pretty much the same price. Additionally, I think it has better sights, though that is a personal opinion.

Then you said this, again:

yeah you really can't beat the gi expert for the money

More than one person has shown that this is not the case. You may like your Para, but for the money there are other options that are of equal value, personal preferences aside.

In fact, considering that you said this:

wouldn't mind a beavertail, some front strap checkering and an undercut trigger guard though.

I would have to say that the Taurus is a better 1911 for the money because it has two of those three things, standard. Also, it is compatible with all the little things like "magazines" and "Parts" that your Para evidently is not compatible with.

Then, when someone said this:

We also encourage intellectual honesty and realistic evaluations.
Quote:
Such a glowing recommendation and strong statement after three weeks of ownership and with no alternative pistols against which you make your first-hand evaluation, is simply not intellectually defensible.

Your response, in part, was this:

sorry to hear you wear a kilt though, might fly in scotland, but is rather demasculating in america

Smiley faces don't make insults all better.

Whatever. Enjoy your thread. I am going to wander off and wonder why I wasted part of my life writing this.

S&WMP45
June 29, 2009, 11:55 PM
i wonder why i wasted part of my life reading it

Tacbandit
June 30, 2009, 08:42 PM
Or posting....hey...you put it out there, you get responses

If you enjoyed reading about "Para GI Expert is the best 1911 deal on the market for $" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!