Looking for Ak aperture sights.

PDA

Deus Machina
June 6, 2009, 02:33 AM
For my Nagant, too, but I think I may have narrowed that down.

Anyway, my AK doesn't require accuracy beyond 500 yards. So paying nearly $100 for a set of sights is a little offputting.

I'm just looking for a decent, relatively inexpensive sight that won't have me shooting well at 50 yards but way off at 150. Adjustable is good.

I've found crosshair front sights I'll probably pair it up with. AK and SKS front sight's don't cross over like the rear ones do, do they?

Also found a top cover with a low rail and AR-style sight, (http://akpartskits.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_12&products_id=19) which I love the idea of, but 1) I don't know if that cover will fit as tight as the stock Saiga one and 2) that sight looks to sit a bit high. Opinions?

So, any suggestions, anecdotes, preferences?

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for Ak aperture sights." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Maverick223
June 6, 2009, 02:40 AM
The dust cover is not a great mounting point, but is likely good enough for irons (not for a scope) on a AK. I think that is a decent sight, but I am a bit partial to the HK aperture sights myself, but you have to solder/braze/weld them to the dust cover, and they aren't cheap.

Sunray
June 6, 2009, 02:49 AM
If you get any accuracy past 200 yards with an AK and good ammo, it'd be miraculous. A scope or peep sights won't make any difference. They're not made for 500 yard accuracy.

DAVIDSDIVAD
June 6, 2009, 02:52 AM
I agree with Sunray, this phenomenon is known as AKuracy. Kalashnikovs deliver acceptable accuracy out to 200 yards, but as soon as the projectiles hit the 200 yard range, they suddenly veer off in all directions.
Included is a graph.

http://i34.tinypic.com/2elxr4o.jpg

Deus Machina
June 6, 2009, 03:03 AM
Well, I've only managed to deal with mine at 100 yards. I know I could do better with an actual optic or even a front sight that doesn't turn the proper sight picture into a flat wall, but I never thought the rested 2.5" group with some of the Wolf or Bear ammo was too bad, with these crappy irons.

Of course, this was only at 100. That may not be quite enough time for the Russian's cheap Uh-Hyuk Projector to kick in.

Deus Machina
June 6, 2009, 04:30 AM
You know, actually, on the note of that cover and rail...

If anyone knows of relatively cheap AR or HK or other aperture sights that could be modified to attach and sit at the right height without messing up their adjustments (AR sights seem to sit pretty high, a lot of the time) I could do that, too.

A quick measurement puts the centerline of the sight at about 1/2" (.530, specifically, as stock) above the actual receiver. So, low-lying rail-mounted sights may work without any mods aside from the receiver.

And the rear point of the cover, if it does move, would be the pivot, making only truly minuscule changes in the sight picture.

I mean, my hobbies sometime consist of creating high-pressure pneumatic parts, that are often in my hand or several inches away from my face while being used at around 800 PSI. I think I can work an iron sight accurately enough. :p

9mmepiphany
June 6, 2009, 03:22 PM
there is supposed to be alot of accuraccy potential with the Hornady loading of their VMAX bullet in Russian steel cases

that top-cover sight looks alot nicer, if not more stable, than the Tech-Sight. i wonder how Valmet stablises it's rear sight

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for Ak aperture sights." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!