Yugo M59/66 Bolt head help

PDA

Flyboy73
June 6, 2009, 04:14 AM
I just got my excellent Yugo M59/66 from Samco i had on order for a couple of months.

The gun is great shape, but oh is she covered in Cosmo. Pretty thick.

I took it apart to so i could clean up but ran into a snag with the bolt disassembly. I could get the firing pin retaining pin out, so i could remove the firing pin. I pounded pretty good with a punch and no luck. Even to the point it looks like the pin is mushrooming in the hole. I soaked it WD 40 and then steamed it to remove some Cosmo but no luck.

This my 6th SKS i have disassembled and i have never ran into this problem.

Anyone run into to a similar problem? Have any idea's to get it out?

Would like to get it apart, so i can clean all the cosmo out.

Brion

If you enjoyed reading about "Yugo M59/66 Bolt head help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AgentAdam
June 6, 2009, 05:23 AM
Many hits with a regular hammer will start to mushroom the tip. I would recommend a large mallet size hammer like a mini sledge hammer and one LARGE wack. You will need a beefy punch also. If not i would pop it out with a hydraulic press. Try the SKSsurvivors boards for more info.

.45Guy
June 6, 2009, 05:38 AM
Try using a brass punch.........

Flyboy73
June 6, 2009, 05:21 PM
Used a brass punch to start then switched to a steel punch.

Pretty sure its mushroomed out.

Maybe drill the mushroom out? Not sure how hard the pin is to drill. I think the pinned is ruined.

Hate to take it to the gunsmith, but probally where i am headed.

Brion

HB
June 6, 2009, 05:47 PM
I could never get mine out so I just soaked it in mineral spirits, WD-40, and a heat gun (try not to blow yourself up tho). Got enough gunk out of there apparently because it works fine. Great gun.

HB

If you enjoyed reading about "Yugo M59/66 Bolt head help" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!