British 303 help needed


June 6, 2009, 07:17 AM
I acquired a Enfield 44 rifle chambered in 303 british. Help Identify please. Here is the markings I can make out. First there is the model number which is No.4 Mk 1. Also On side of frame it has ?/47C. Right under that looks to be the number
1914. Can anyone help with this and identify this rifle. Thank you

If you enjoyed reading about "British 303 help needed" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
Ohio Gun Guy
June 6, 2009, 07:18 AM
Pictures will be a great assistance.

June 6, 2009, 07:42 AM
Well first what I can tell you. The 47c you mention is a factory stamp signifying where the rifle was made. The M/47C stamp was the mark of the Birmingham Small Arms Factory (BSA for short) in Shirley, England.

The other stuff is a little confusing. The 1914 could be a date but if it is indeed a No 4 Mk 1 rifle as you state then that is a WW2 British rifle and was not being made in 1914. If I'm not mistaken the No 4 MK 1 went into service in 1941. The Brits used the No 1 MK III in WW1. They both fired the British 303 round.

Pictures will be necessary to make any further determination.

Ohio Gun Guy
June 6, 2009, 07:59 AM cant be serious.

Sorry, I had to. :rolleyes:;):rolleyes:

June 6, 2009, 08:59 AM cant be serious.

Yes I'm serious and stop calling me Shirley. LOL!

June 6, 2009, 01:47 PM
You have a BSA #4mk1. The M/47C is the code number for the rifle plant. The 1914 would be a lightly stampped 1944. What is the serial number? It will be on the butt stock socket on the left side.

Lone Star
June 6, 2009, 03:42 PM
I didn't realize that BSA made No. 4's. Would love to see photos.

Lone Star

June 6, 2009, 05:14 PM
Nice! Love my No4Mk1*, can you post pics of yours?

June 6, 2009, 10:49 PM
4 Maltby's, 1 BSA, 1 Fazakerlry.

June 6, 2009, 11:29 PM
I acquired the Rifle because It caught my eye and couldn't stop thinking about it. I am going to shoot it and hunt with it. Thanks for your help.
by the way, do you know where I would look to find a rail or something of the sort so I can mount a scope on my Enfield?

June 6, 2009, 11:49 PM
SK makes a rock solid machined steel scope mount available from Brownells.

Lone Star
June 6, 2009, 11:54 PM
NO, I don't know how you can mount a scope! Keep that piece of history as it is.

Buy a separate hunting rifle to wear a scope.

If you use commercial softpoint ammo, of which I prefer Winchester brand, you can hunt with it, but beware of magazine capacity limits under some Game Dept. laws. Check those in your state. You may have to buy a 5-shot magazine.

The .303 is deadly as far out as most people can effectively use iron sights. Canadians have used it on moose for generations; it will easily kill deer and pigs at usual ranges.

Lone Star

June 7, 2009, 08:52 AM
+1 on the SK mount.

June 7, 2009, 09:50 AM
Here is a good scope rail for the No4mk1. I threw a scope on mine for a while. The rail does not cause you to permanently alter the gun which is good.

If you enjoyed reading about "British 303 help needed" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!