need source for 7X57 Mauser

PDA

DeputyVaughn
June 6, 2009, 08:01 AM
I found a 7mm Mauser that I'm serious interested in. Biggest drawback is I can't seem to locate any surplus ammo for it. There are some premium boxes available but the price is $1.80 a round. Ouch.

Any suggestions?

Scott

If you enjoyed reading about "need source for 7X57 Mauser" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bwana John
June 6, 2009, 09:41 AM
Reload.

I have no problems finding new commerical 7mm Mauser brass @ ~$30/100.:cool:

JWF III
June 6, 2009, 10:24 AM
Aim Surplus had some Prvi last time I was there (earlier this week). On the plus side, they are almost always the cheapest there is on ammo. They also have the largest selection of ammo for milsurps if you have any others.

On the other hand. If it's a new(er) commercial production, the only way to take full advantage of the cartridge would be to reload. Production ammo is "dumbed down" for the older guns.

Wyman

ETA- Just checked they didn't have any. Don't know if they sold out or I was mistaken. But I'm pretty sure it was 7x57.

lionking
June 6, 2009, 10:33 AM
I just placed a order with aimsurplus yesterday,while they have some calibers 7x57 isn't listed.I usually buy from ammunitiontogo because they have a very large inventory of different ones but they are out of almost everything right now.A couple months ago they put S&B and PP 7x57 ammo on sale and I gobbled a bunch up at $9.95 a box.

Prvipartisan ammo is about the best priced commercial ammo you'll will find that is good ammo.Not "cheap" ammo but at around $12 a box sometimes a little less it is one of few choices out there.

Bwana John
June 6, 2009, 11:21 AM
J&G Sales of Presscott, AZ has 7mm Mauser ammo, mostly S&B starting at $15.50/box of 20.
http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/ammo-for-rifles/7mm-mauser-7x57-/cPath/12_447

But I still recommend reloading for it.

SaxonPig
June 6, 2009, 12:17 PM
7x57 military is just about all dried up. Haven't been any countries using that caliber for a long time I suspect. I bought a bunch about 10 years stamped 1970 and it is good stuff. Bought some cheaper stuff marked 1937 and 3 of 4 misfired. Both came from Samco but I think they are out of the 1970 ammo.

Great caliber but finding surplus ammo may be a thing of the past.

DeputyVaughn
June 8, 2009, 12:53 PM
I've about decided to opt out on the 7X57 Mauser. Ammo too expensive and hard to find.

I'm thinking about finding an Israeli Mauser now. .308 is already in my closet.....Anybody know who might have an Izzy?

Scott

tju1973
June 8, 2009, 01:32 PM
Academy carries 7x57-- about $24+ a box, but it is decent, non corrosive ammo--
WOrks for hunting and light shooting....

I would buy a few boxes, shoot them, save the brass and then reload...

Bwana John
June 8, 2009, 03:17 PM
I've about decided to opt out on the 7X57 Mauser. Ammo too expensive and hard to find.

I reload 7mm Mauser for 3/4 the current price of good 7.62 NATO surplus.

Reid73
June 8, 2009, 03:32 PM
Another vote for reloading (http://www.bcwf.bc.ca/programs/core/downloads/reloading.pdf). 7x57 components are much easier to come by than surplus ammo.

Uncle Mike
June 8, 2009, 05:28 PM
http://www.grafs.com/

...try that

lionking
June 8, 2009, 08:07 PM
7X57 is no more expensive than any other caliber right now commercial wise anyway.The only calibers that are less costly are surplus 7.62x54r and 8mm if you can find it.And it is corrosive the surplus that is.That isn't a problem if you clean right but still,good fresh clean more accurate ammo will cost more no matter.Do you want to put cheap ammo into a 7inch group or pay a little more and shrink the group in half?And yes loading your own can be the best way but some us just don't.

It is no more costly or hard to find than 7.62x51 either.Yes some outlits are out right now but it will come back and haven gone to a gunshow yesterday from what I saw there is no shortage of any type of ammo because I saw several dealers with stacks and cases of ammo the thing is they wanted a astronomical price for it.

What kind of 7x57 were you looking at btw?

SaxonPig
June 8, 2009, 10:31 PM
If you are making rifle choices based on the cost of surplus ammo then you really need to get into reloading. You miss out on too many fine rifles and calibers if you limit yourself to what is cheap in surplus ammo.

tju1973
June 8, 2009, 10:55 PM
I actually only keep surplus ammo for long term use (ie SHTF)-- other than that, I bite the bullet and shoot non corrosive stuff-- my M44 has had zero surplus through it since I have owned it-- I do have a couple of spam cans in the closet though-- I guess if things go badly, it will be my hog/deer/'yote rifle with corrosive stuff--just hope I can find Windex "after the fall"..

DeputyVaughn
June 8, 2009, 11:17 PM
I reload for about 10 calibers now. components are through the roof if and when you find them. It's all I can do to keep some 45 and 308 handy. I still think 7X57 would be too much of an addition right now.

I'll be glad when the ammo drought is over.

Scott

Bwana John
June 8, 2009, 11:50 PM
I'll be glad when the ammo drought is over.
So.. we showed you links where to get commercial 7mm Mauser at prices less than 308 at Walmart, explained how you can reload it for less than the price of surplus 7.62 NATO, AND you are already set up to reload.......

I guess you CAN lead a horse to water but you CANT make him drink!:rolleyes:

You gonna get kinda thirsty in the next 8 years:uhoh:

DeputyVaughn
June 9, 2009, 12:07 AM
I bought my 308 when SA surplus was $24 a battlepack. Got enough for a while. The cheapest 7mm Mauser I saw available was $1.50 a round. I don't think I can get the bullets for reloading cheap enough to make it worth my while to buy the rifle and take up reloading for it. I may buy the rifle anyway and just a box or two of ammo, but I do already have a Spanish Mauser (308) and an FR8. I think that I'll keep looking for that Israeli......

Scott

If you enjoyed reading about "need source for 7X57 Mauser" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!