Ruger 10/22 bolt hold open on last shot

PDA

SquirrelNuts
June 6, 2009, 11:39 AM
I had always wanted a Ruger 10/22 Carbine with the wood stock and blued barrel. Wal Mart used to carry them for about $190 and I almost bought one from them one day. They stopped carrying guns at all the stores near me about two weeks later (this was two or three years ago) and I have kicked myself ever since for not getting it. I saw the exact model I have been kicking myself for in a local gun shop yesterday, and it followed me home.

I noticed that an empty mag will not hold the bolt back. I read the manual, and it says the gun does not hold open on the last shot in the manual. Is there a way to make a Ruger 10/22 hold open on the last shot? Maybe a special magazine or a modification?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 10/22 bolt hold open on last shot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
iamkris
June 6, 2009, 11:46 AM
I've only seen one system that does this...it requires a modified magazine. Here's the CST Auto-Stop page.

http://www.cstmtech.com/index.php3?pageid=12

To me, it's a little spendy for a last shot BHO...although I really prefer that function. Also, I haven't done because I have multiple 10/22's and don't want to have to segregate my magazines...or pay to have them all modified.

PT1911
June 6, 2009, 11:58 AM
I dont see much of a point in spending extra for such a function... I see no benefit. You can lock the bolt open manually for cleaning or clearing if you desire. to each his own...

piranha338
June 6, 2009, 03:36 PM
I personally have a 10/22 with an after-market Hogue overmolded stock. I put a Bushnell scope on it, and also a CST automatic bolt stop. That was the first thing I ever really did to my rifle-surely the first time I disassembled it. I've never had a regret about it, and I like that it keeps the bolt open after the last shot to eliminate dry firing. I surely recommend it!

PT1911
June 6, 2009, 08:04 PM
I have heard that point of view before but seeing as I have never personally heard of anyone who has had a problem surface from dry firing a 10/22. I have personally dry fired mine hundreds of times and it is still going strong...

JImbothefiveth
June 6, 2009, 08:07 PM
Check it. It might not be obvious. I broke a a firing pin, it was split in 3 places, and it still worked for a while, I had no clue it was broken. I have now replaced it.

Jubjub
June 6, 2009, 10:39 PM
The firing pin in the 10/22 has a positive stop built in so it won't contact the chamber edge when dry fired. It doesn't hurt a thing to shoot it empty and then click on the empty chamber.

Dimis
June 7, 2009, 12:57 AM
save the money because once you do that you cant use ANY other magazines but the ones that stop the bolt

dry fire away i hear the click with every magazine i run dry and if it were gonna break it would have done it already

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 10/22 bolt hold open on last shot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!