minwax paste wax good

PDA

newgunmike
June 6, 2009, 06:15 PM
i have been reading on here about how people use paste wax to protect there rifles from rust and was wondering if minwax paste finishing wax was good. also would Meguiar's colorx work or is it useless.

If you enjoyed reading about "minwax paste wax good" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Horsemany
June 6, 2009, 06:21 PM
I haven't found a whole lot of difference between waxes and how well they protect. Actually I like the feel and fingerproofness of Turtle Wax better than the gun specific waxes. SC Johnson's paste wax is excellent as well. Renaissance wax is good too. If you use car wax be sure not to use "cleaner wax" as those have a slight abrasive quality to remove oxidized paint. I've used Meguiars, NuFinish and others but Turtle wax leaves a velvety smooth surface that leaves no fingerprints and it last for a looong time. Minwax paste wax is similar to SC Johnson and it's been used on guns for decades. Good stuff.

atbarr
June 6, 2009, 06:24 PM
I use Renaissance wax on all my guns and my knives. I not only make knives, mostly <$1,000, I sell other makers and collectors knives. Some of the knives I sell run well over >$4,000, so I have to be very sure, they don't rust.

A.T.

tcrocker
June 6, 2009, 06:39 PM
I us Johnsons floor wax to lube cast bullets.

clone
June 6, 2009, 10:23 PM
I was thinking of using a wax (have not decided which) on my CCW and a portion of the slide will be in contact with the skin. Will these waxes hold up to sweat and will it be toxic to the skin or might it stain the skin?

The reason I was thinking of using wax is that my blued Keltec P11 is starting to rust a bit on the slide.

Deltaboy
June 6, 2009, 10:51 PM
It will work

Uncle Mike
June 7, 2009, 12:16 AM
Wax IS the way to go, if you spend any time in Alaska you will see most of the locals put wax on everything, and this includes thier guns.

We use it at the shop, customers love it.

Just remember, it dosen't look too good on the matte finished, rough sandblasted type surfaces or porous stock surfaces.

Carnauba paste wax- takes a while but worth it!

Oro
June 7, 2009, 12:32 AM
Carnauba paste wax- takes a while but worth it!

I agree. The only negatives with the natural waxes are the drying time in certain conditions. On the east coast, I used pure carnuba for cars, guns, etc. Here in the PNW, with the constant high humidity most of the year, I had to switch to synthetic to get a reasonable drying time. Renaissance is my choice for guns.

Old Fuff
June 7, 2009, 01:50 AM
Once upon a time, long, long ago - when cars were really cars and not made out of plastic - they had chrome plated bumpers and trim. During the winter road crews spread salt & gravel mix. Knowledgeable folks didn't protect the chrome (not to mention painted surfaces) with grease or oil. They used quality wax. The same kinds of wax will do the same for your guns. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "minwax paste wax good" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!