Shopping for an Enfield

PDA

Guvnor
June 6, 2009, 07:28 PM
Im looking to get myself a Lee Enfield but im a bit confused about the different variations and their respective values.

Could someone explain the different versions commonly available at gun shows, and how much money they typically go for?

Are there any common issues or things to look out for when purchasing one of these old guns?

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Shopping for an Enfield" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ignition Override
June 6, 2009, 08:18 PM
Can't tell you about gun shows because my interest began after our last show. The military surplus rifles at Memphis-area gun shows have, with few exceptions, been beaten up and are leftovers that nobody wants.

When you finally decide what you will buy, you might look at "Joesalter", and you will see that they have a phone number for questions.
No auction games-his prices are firm-or guessing about how accurate the descriptions are, or what they look like (multiple good photos), unlike so many on "Gunbroker".

My first LE ("J Carbine", #5) came from there a few weeks ago and his descriptions seem very accurate. Really like my rifle from his operation. Many of his items come from his Canadian business. Might one day look there for a #4.
This might not help you, but the seasoned pros at 'Gunandgame', 'Surplusrifle' (forums) and 'Gunboards' are often very knowledgeable. Due to so much corrosive ammo used over the decades, many bores are reportedly shot out. As with mine, if the bore is bright and shiny, chances are good that the other areas of the metal will also be in good condition or better.

But dealing with Gunbroker, I would find it difficult to trust the descriptions for most of the LEs.
Already having two Russian MN 44s, though bought elsewhere, which look nice on the outside but which produce really bad shot groups (6" or more) at 50 yards was a 'wake up call'.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shopping for an Enfield" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!