WWII Japanese 7.7 Arisaka

PDA

Ohio Gun Guy
June 7, 2009, 01:50 AM
As some of you may know. I went to a gun show today, I was unsure of what I was going to look for......

Well Look what followed me home. :D How did I do? $160.00 Its a Nagoya, series 3, 8,XXX serial number. All numbers matching, even the firing pin and bolt cap, stock pieces, inside of handguard, etc. The mum is ground (See pic.)

I had one in college but had to sell it for the funds. I have a small ww2 collection (Who here doesn't) but wanted a Japanese rifle because our family had a few Marines (Great Uncles) in the Pacific.

If you enjoyed reading about "WWII Japanese 7.7 Arisaka" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
xbox360
June 7, 2009, 02:34 AM
Looks very nice on the outside, how well is the bore? 1-10 scale, if its over a 7 then you got a great deal on this gun! 160 wow...

Ohio Gun Guy
June 7, 2009, 08:05 AM
The bore is chrome lined and clean. There has been some lead down this tube, but it I would say its an 7 or 8, pretty easily. THe only better bores / rifling I have in a military surplus rifles are in a No1. MKIII (mint) Enfield & a Swedish Mauser.

John-Melb
June 7, 2009, 08:24 AM
Very nice, I picked one up some years ago in about the same condition, but with an intact "mum".

Won't tell you what I paid for mine .

Boris Barowski
June 7, 2009, 09:07 AM
Lucky you, over here (Belgium) you'd easily pay 5x that IF you can find one. Maybe even 10x if it's in excellent condition

Animal Mother
June 7, 2009, 10:03 AM
You have a really nice stock on that, the split between the two pieces (which all these rifles have) is hardly noticable on yours. Good job!

Cannonball888
June 7, 2009, 10:06 AM
I love the anti-aircraft sights these rifles originally had. Seems the Japanese were naively optimistic.

Ohio Gun Guy
June 7, 2009, 10:12 AM
Yeah, optimitic but I believe after Midway, optimism was about all that was left to battle our Airforce (Army Air Corps & Navy).

Although I'll bet it didn't make any of our pilots feel any better to see the whole Japanese army shooting at them.......lots of golden BBs in the air.:uhoh:

Mustang51
June 7, 2009, 01:25 PM
That is a very nice rifle and a very nice price on a numbers-matching example. You did very well.

Avenger
June 7, 2009, 01:47 PM
Central Ohio....wait, did you find that at the WESTLAND MALL show? For that price? :what: I may have to stand attending that show again.....

Ohio Gun Guy
June 7, 2009, 01:51 PM
Yep, It wasn't too bad.

jpwilly
June 7, 2009, 03:31 PM
Nice rifle...you lucky @#$@@#. Only $160! I'm turning green...

Ohio Gun Guy
June 7, 2009, 03:40 PM
You have your fair share of nice rifles, jpwilly!

You can have that Akriska any day you want it if you want to trade some of the finer things lurking in your safe. :rolleyes::D:scrutiny::cuss::D

jpwilly
June 7, 2009, 03:42 PM
I cannot think of anything I'd like to trade...I'll give you $200 for it and pay shipping! :D

Ohio Gun Guy
June 7, 2009, 07:00 PM
Pictures of the barrel / rifiling & Chamber

Ohio Gun Guy
June 8, 2009, 12:08 AM
One more pass, then I'll let the thread go with a little dignity....;)

106rr
June 8, 2009, 04:55 AM
The anti aircraft sights on the 7.7 were obsolete after 1941. They were originally meant for use against a slower biplane. The lead built in to the sight was hopelessly small for faster moving aircraft. By the time WW2 was ending airspeeds on fighters must have been close to 500 mph.

Storm
June 8, 2009, 04:30 PM
Yeah, those sights were lost very quickly along with the metal action cover, which I understand had the habit of making a good amount of clanking noise.

Beau93
June 8, 2009, 04:58 PM
Great piece of history there. Are you going to shoot it and give us a range report?

The "mum," I take it, is the Imperial seal of Japan, and its being ground off suggests that the rifle was surrendered (before which the Japanese would have removed the seal) rather than being a battlefield capture?

Storm
June 8, 2009, 05:50 PM
Yup, the Royal Chrysanthemum. While it is known that Japanese soldiers ground the mums off themselves, in another thread going right now there is a discussion of an eyewitness account that the mums were ground off vet bringback rifles here in the states through some agreement with the Japanese. Some luckily got through intact.

BCCL
June 8, 2009, 06:02 PM
Nice find, mine was brought back from WWII by my late Uncle. He died when I was 2 in a car crash, and it hung for years on a nail in my grand parents garage until my grandfather passed away, and my grandmother gave it to me.

Somewhere I have the original Army paperwork for him to bring home the gun and bayonet, but the bayonet was given away before my uncle died so I don't have it.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m103/Bear_Claw_Chris_Lappe/Gun%20Collection/Arisaka%20T-99/Arisaka-1.jpg

Ohio Gun Guy
June 8, 2009, 08:21 PM
BCCL - what is the status of the mum on your vet bringback?

I wish I had a rifle from one of the veterans in our family! My Dad tells me that my Great uncles all had some bring back rifles, but they got sold off (By the vet.) over time. :(

All "Sides" of the family included we had 7 men in WW2. (3 in one family)

lionking
June 8, 2009, 08:56 PM
I actually just got a type99 two weeks ago.I have yet to try it and I doubt I'll have a chance to for at least another month.Don't even have ammo yet.I'm also going to find a slider sight to put on it since it didn't come with it but it does have the mum.

What was the standard grain weight for ammo?I'm hoping once I find some hornady ammo it will shoot fine.

You scored a real good deal.I paid a bit more for mine but in part the price was because it has the mum,matching numbers and came with a bayonet.

http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa45/lionking_rocks/Arisaka%20Type%2099/

Lightsped
June 8, 2009, 09:28 PM
Where does one find 7.7 ammo nowadays?

lionking
June 8, 2009, 09:45 PM
Hornady makes it but most places are out of it right now although I haven't looked everywhere yet.Norma makes it too but high priced.PCI makes it too but never heard of them is that brand any good?

The question for me is which grain is going to shoot closest to point of aim at 100yds,150gr or 174gr which I will need to find out.

http://www.grafs.com/ammo/239

It is not a rifle I will shoot alot,but still I want to find out what it shoots best with.

Ohio Gun Guy
June 8, 2009, 10:47 PM
Lionking, That is a very nice rifle!

Between the 3 or 4 of us, lets not make a run on 7.7 and drive the prices up:evil:

lionking
June 8, 2009, 11:06 PM
unfortunately the run others did on more popular calibers had a effect on less common calibers also.Guess companies decided to focus on making popular ammo and not worry about more exotic calibers right now.

I'm wondering what the hold up is on foreign made ammo is like S&B and Prvi Partisan ammo.Alot of their milsurp caliber ammo is hard to find right now.It is a good time to own a 30-06, 270win or 7mm Mag rifle,Walmart always has those calibers in stock.Everything else is hit&miss.Does that give me a reason to go get me a 270?:pI mean as much as I like milsurps I still like all guns....:cool:

Ky Larry
June 8, 2009, 11:57 PM
IIRC, the 'mum is the symbol of the Emporer. Japanese soldiers considerer the rifle to be the personal property of the emperor and the soldier had been entrusted with his "personal" weapon. That's why the 'mun was ground off, so the soldier wouldn't be surrendering his ruler's personal weapon.

BCCL
June 9, 2009, 11:10 AM
"BCCL - what is the status of the mum on your vet bringback?"

Ground off as was required at the time.

zoom6zoom
June 9, 2009, 05:01 PM
Here's mine, also a $170 find. No mum, but has the matching bolt cover and AA sights.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g180/zoom6zoom/gun%20stuff/Arisakaboltcover.jpg

Capotuttidecapo
June 15, 2009, 10:27 AM
I bought an Ariska type 99 a few weeks ago at a gun show in Ventura, CA. I found one with an intact "Mon", the mum. This rifle, along with 133,000 others, had been converted to fire 30.06 ammo by the US or South Korean Army at the start of the Korean war. It has US 30 CAL stamped on the left side of the reciever. You can see the Chrome barrel lining easly when you look at the end of the muzzle. Later type 99's do not have this and the sights become cast, don't have the antiaircraft "wings" and only a single dentent spring on the right side of the sight. The 30.06 conversions have a notch at the top of the reciever to accomodate the longer 30.06 cartridge. The bullet is slightly smaller in diameter, 7.62 vs 7.7 but reportedly works fine. Solves the ammo problem. Post war testing showed the Ariska type 39 and 99 as having the strongest recievers of all rifles used in WWII. This applies only to early rifles and not the crude last ditch models. I am impressed with the quality workmanship of this rifle. The seller had another type 99 converted for the Thai army. The barrel had been shortened and it had US 30.06 stamped on the side. The "Mon" was ground off and I let that one go. Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "WWII Japanese 7.7 Arisaka" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!