Saiga-compatible gas tubes?

PDA

Deus Machina
June 7, 2009, 03:06 AM
Alright, spurred by my desire for some really nice sights (with glasses, I like apertures more than open sights) on my Saiga, I've gotten the urge to do a little more unusual work. In part, a sort of homebrew Ultimak rail; I have time, not money.

I'd prefer to replace the gas tube (so it's round, not half-octagonal) but, after hearing that Saigas use '74-length pistons, figured I'd check.

Standard full-length tubes? Any appropriate ones that come without the handguard retainers?

If you enjoyed reading about "Saiga-compatible gas tubes?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nalioth
June 7, 2009, 04:32 PM
You're not doing enough research.

The AK-74 piston and the AK-47/AKM pistons are slightly different to look at, but work absolutely the same.

Any milsurp AK47/AKM/AK74 gas tube will work fine.

Deus Machina
June 7, 2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the info!

I just couldn't find anything that explicitly said "this fits, that does, this is the same length, that one's shorter' or the like. I know 47-length pistons are popular, but '74-length ones are correct, and I didn't know if that crossed to the tubes or not.

I probably just failed in my Google-fu.

nalioth
June 7, 2009, 10:56 PM
The pistons are slightly different, but functionally identical.

The gas tubes haven't changed at all.

Keep in mind, 90% of the AKM and AK74 parts are interchangeable (with a higher percentage on the current AK-10x series of rifles)

wally
June 8, 2009, 12:53 AM
The pistons are slightly different, but functionally identical.

I thought the lengths were about 1/4" different making the pistons not interchangeable, I'd assumed the tubes might be different too, but never actually measured them.

There is video on YouTube of a guy firing an AK with the gas tube completly removed -- seemed to work fine but looked a bit hard on the hand and face :)

--wally.

nalioth
June 8, 2009, 01:01 AM
I thought the lengths were about 1/4" different making the pistons not interchangeable, I'd assumed the tubes might be different too, but never actually measured them. Nowhere near 1/4".

The difference is negligible.

I've built all my AKs (both 7.62x39 and 5.45x39) with AKM length pistons and haven't had one lick of trouble.

Another thing to think about: If there were "a major difference", don't you think Tapco would be selling different pistons?

If you enjoyed reading about "Saiga-compatible gas tubes?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!