Scope Base: Howa 1500 = Remiington 700 Long Action

PDA

Samgotit
June 7, 2009, 05:32 PM
Just wondering if someone can confirm that Howa 1500's take the same scope base as a Rem.700 LA.

I assume they are the same given this from Brownells:

Remington 700 LA also fits Howa 1500 and Weatherby Vanguard

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=23786&title=PICATINNY%20SCOPE%20BASE

My confusion stems from the fact that some Howa 1500's are Short Actions and some are Long:
http://www.legacysports.com/products/howa/specs/specs_baractions.html

So, do all 700 LA bases fit both Howa Actions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope Base: Howa 1500 = Remiington 700 Long Action" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dakotasin
June 7, 2009, 08:40 PM
if you are using a 2-piece bases, same same.

if you are using a 1-piece base, la rem is la howa...

Arkel23
June 9, 2009, 05:49 PM
Yes, they do, I have a Weatherby Vanguard and have remington 700 bases on it. Plus on the back of the pack it says it fits Howa 1500 and Weatherby Vanguards.

ArmedBear
June 9, 2009, 06:05 PM
So, do all 700 LA bases fit both Howa Actions?

No.

1-piece 700 LA bases apparently fit Howa LA rifles.

The SA Howa is shorter than the LA Howa, but may be a slightly different length from the Remington.

All 2-piece 700 bases fit all Howa rifles.

I used two-piece Warne bases and QD rings on my .30-06 Vanguard. They work great. I wouldn't be too excited to put that big one-piece Picatinny thing where it makes loading more difficult, anyway.

Arkel23
June 9, 2009, 07:40 PM
I used two-piece Warne bases and QD rings on my .30-06 Vanguard. Does your Vanguard shoot tight groups?

Samgotit
June 10, 2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks all.

I wouldn't be too excited to put that big one-piece Picatinny thing where it makes loading more difficult, anyway.

I'm am a little worried about it myself, but I'm going to try the one-piece Ken Ferrel 20 MOA SA base. They are in stock again, FYI:

Their site shows they are out of stock, but they do have them. I called today.
http://www.kenfarrell.com/scan/st=db/co=yes/sf=category/se=Howa%201500/op=eq.html

ArmedBear
June 10, 2009, 01:09 PM
Does your Vanguard shoot tight groups?

3-shot groups are 1 3/8" at 200 yards off bags (.30-06 Vanguard Sporter, walnut stock). Yes, that's 200 yards. Under 3/4" at 100.

That's with my 165 grain hunting handloads, nothing special: no special case or primer pocket prep and I just use an RCBS measure with IMR 4350 stick powder, don't even weigh every round. And the thing doesn't work very well with stick powder.:) Hornady BTSP bullets in used Winchester cases farmed from Wal-Mart ammo, some ancient Remington primers I scrounged up because primers seem nonexistent these days.

I'm going to try the one-piece Ken Ferrel 20 MOA SA base.

My Vanguard was perfectly bore-sighted when I just stuck the 2-piece Warne bases/rings and the scope on the gun. There is absolutely no reason to use some unwieldy 20 MOA one-piece base on this gun IMO. They machine them straight.

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope Base: Howa 1500 = Remiington 700 Long Action" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!