Flash Hider Tests - A2 vs Vortex, Phantom, others

PDA

Badger Arms
June 8, 2009, 01:59 AM
Just found this and I wanted to share it with everybody. Brownells did an informal test of flash suppressors. The A2 and Phantom appear identical... not sure, but I'd think with the low cost and closed lower ports, the A2 is the best bet of all of them unless they can make the Vortex without the open ends. Don't like the open ends!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqoUMUkro78&NR=1

Of course, I REALLY prefer a Phantom mounted on the end of a 14.5" barrel and then pinned and welded in place!

If you enjoyed reading about "Flash Hider Tests - A2 vs Vortex, Phantom, others" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RockyMtnTactical
June 8, 2009, 02:07 AM
The phantom is way better then the A2.

I have done the testing myself. Even on my 14.5" with phantom and the A2 on a 16", the phantom was very noticeably better.

Testing has shown that the Vortex has an ever so slight edge on the phantom.

The advantage is in the length of the muzzle device when compared to the A2.

Badger Arms
June 8, 2009, 03:12 AM
Okay, I'll concede that the Phantom looked to have about half the flash as the A2... but then the Vortex had ZERO flash that I could tell. First look, I couldn't tell the difference. I'll remain happy with my Phantoms.

RockyMtnTactical
June 8, 2009, 03:29 AM
http://www.photomosaic.com/gns/16-inch-XM193ed.jpg

The Phantom is one of the best out there for hiding flash. The vortex is only slightly better in this regard. The A2 is not even close. Better than nothing though.

P.B.Walsh
June 8, 2009, 12:24 PM
Wow, and I thought the A2 was good, and the others just looked better.

Is their any difference if your the shooter?

Badger Arms
June 8, 2009, 12:46 PM
Rocky, looking at the pictures you linked, one thing seems clear, that the ammo makes a difference in this test. Brownells was using partisan ammo and a 16" barrel. I believe a fairer test would be 11.5" barrels and XM193. There are tests out there, I think, but I found this test interesting.

What made me feel that the Vortex won this hands down was the "shock cone" that was about three inches or so from the muzzle. The other brakes had one, the Vortex eleminated even this cone. Given that the Phantom seems to want to create a vortex as well, I believe that there is a great deal of importance placed on spinning the gas exiting the muzzle to accelerate the dissipation of the ionized cloud. Open tines at the front are essential to the effectiveness of the system... best I can figure.

bigger hammer
June 8, 2009, 12:58 PM
There's little difference from the back end of the gun.

A few years back I took a carbine course that included night shooting. Most of the guns were AR-15's in various configurations with various flash hiders. I had the vortex. This model had a groove cut into the exterior diameter of the device and had a stainless split ring (like a key ring) in that groove to prevent brush from getting caught in the fingers. I've put over 3,000 rounds through that gun and the key ring is still going strong.

One of the last things we did in class was to do a comparison test of the muzzle flashes of all the guns. The instructor fired one student's rifle while he stood off to the side and watched. Each student rotated through so we all got to see the flashes. Sorry but I don't remember what the other hiders were. I do recall that there were two birdcages, one of them open all the way round and the other with the closed bottom sections.

There was no comparison. No one could see the flash from the vortex even when a mirror was mounted downrange so that it could be seen from that viewpoint.

H2O MAN
June 8, 2009, 01:51 PM
:evil: I'm loving the DC Vortex from Smith Enterprise, Inc.

I have them on my M14s and 7.62 AKM and my SEI M14DC 0.30 Caliber Sound Suppressor fits all of them.

The combo delivers recoil reduction, sound suppression and flash elimination - good stuff.

briansmithwins
June 8, 2009, 04:25 PM
Ran across this pic a while ago. It shows that there are some differences. BSW

As I recall the test rifle is a SBR AR15 firing XM193. Flash hiders are '60 era 3 prong, A2, fake Vortex with straight prongs, Vortex, Phantom, and Phantom.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/briansmithwins/flash4.jpg

TeamRush
June 8, 2009, 08:39 PM
I've used REAL Smith Vortex in the field and in training, and I can't say enough good things about them!

I have them on several rifles I own, both .223, .308 and .300 Mag, and I like them VERY much!

Mags
June 8, 2009, 08:59 PM
Privi Partisan is XM 193

RockyMtnTactical
June 9, 2009, 04:46 AM
Privi Partisan is XM 193

No. "XM193" is Federal ammo that is made at the Lake City plant, very close to "M193" which is made at the same facility, but the "civilian" version (so to speak). Still, the closest thing to real M193 as exists in the civilian world. Essentially the same, some may even claim.

Prvi makes a 55gr round that they label as "M193" (not XM193). However, what that means is not exactly clear. Is it the exact same as M193? Is it similar to M193, or seems to be in many ways. Is it in all ways? Probably not.

If you enjoyed reading about "Flash Hider Tests - A2 vs Vortex, Phantom, others" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!