Value Holsters

PDA

SHusky57
June 8, 2009, 04:04 PM
Which holsters are the best bang for the buck for OWB? Mainly to use in IPSC/IDPA or general range use.

The Uncle Mike's sidekick holster seems great, but I wonder how long it can hold up to stress.

The $12-20 Glock holsters also seem pretty well-made for the price.

If you enjoyed reading about "Value Holsters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
chinpokojed
June 8, 2009, 05:07 PM
I'll second the recommendation for the Glock Sport Combat Holster, great retention and it holds the Glock high and tight to the body. For around $14 it's pretty much unbeatable, unfortunately only available for Glocks. ;)

Another bonus is that there is a large version for the 21/30/20/29, and a small version for all the rest of the Glock models. Pretty convenient if you have multiple Glocks you carry.

SHusky57
June 8, 2009, 11:33 PM
Are there any good online vendors for the G21SF Sport holster?

I think mine is for the standard glocks but it fits my G21, G30, and G36 all pretty well.

Anyone know a cheap OWB holster for a 1911 or BHP (looking specifically for BHP)?

Hungry Seagull
June 9, 2009, 01:07 AM
I happened to use a uncle mike's for the hip belt on the pants. It does a good job. Ive been wearing the thing around the house for weeks every day. It hasnt failed me yet.

I tend to use the smart carry to the range though. Good for a rationed amount of rounds vs paper target in high speed drawing and shooting.

I did buy a blackhawk plastic holster that goes onto the gun belt and had a sort of a built in plastic flap that releases the trigger group and draws extremely FAST but it ends up sitting in the box alot because... uncle mike's does the job adequately.

I also use the Uncle Mike's for range as well. It tends to reassure people on the firing line when they see a holstered gun instead of a potential muzzle sweep. In the beginning, it was stiff and hard to work well but I would think it is good for starting off.

But one day maybe one of those special leather holsters with a retention strap strong enough to hold my entire body weight should bad guy fight for my gun would be the one I would want to own.

A 10 dollar belt from the mall does not cut it either, you need a real stout belt before wearing IMHO.

Keoni
June 11, 2009, 02:26 AM
Don Hume open top.

David E
June 11, 2009, 02:30 AM
"Cheap" is not an easy term to define.

If you buy a "cheap" holster that is utter crap and you end up buying something better for more money, then that "cheap" holster really ended up costing more, as it was worthless.

Rob Leatham, the Legend of the IPSC game told me in 93 to "start out with what you'll end up with. It's cheaper."

And it's true.

searcher451
June 11, 2009, 02:23 PM
I'm a big fan of the High Noon holsters. They are of excellent quality, they are inexpensive, and many of them are in stock and ready to ship at a moment's notice. The company's customer service reps also are friendly and easy to deal with, either by phone or online. I have no stake or stock in the company, by the way; only wish I did. :)

Dr.Rob
June 11, 2009, 04:33 PM
Any of the Kydex holsters will work.

http://www.uncle-mikes.com/products/kydex_belt_holsters.html

Zerodefect
June 11, 2009, 05:07 PM
Why not use your CCW holster?

Seems like it would be good practice to use the same holster for carry and comp.

David E
June 11, 2009, 10:40 PM
Uncle Mike's kydex and nylon, for that matter, are "adequate" for casual use. For the money, they are alright.

Serious gun toters and shooters do not use them.

atomd
June 12, 2009, 08:11 AM
I think some of the Don Hume ones are pretty decent. I find the cheap nylon ones to be pretty useless. A good belt is important too.

Just One Shot
June 12, 2009, 09:28 AM
I personally like the Blackhawk Serpa for OWB but if you want a good value on a leather holster you might want to check these out:

http://www.jmgholsters.com/owb.htm

I have 2 of their IWB and am satisfied with their price and function.

SHusky57
June 12, 2009, 09:53 AM
Why not use your CCW holster?

Seems like it would be good practice to use the same holster for carry and comp

IPSC requires OWB and I CCW a G36 rather than toting around my G21.

I just got a Blackhawk Serpa for the G21 and it's a fantastic value.

I just need to find one of similar ilk for my Browning Hi-Power and I'll be good to go.

RedAlert
June 12, 2009, 04:12 PM
I'm very happy with the Fobus line of holsters. They are polymer injected, adjustable and securely hold your pistol in place.

They have a slick feel and yet are not slippery. They are inexpensive and made with quality:

www.fobusholster.com/

Red

.38 Special
June 12, 2009, 08:01 PM
I like leather holsters, and have never found both inexpensive and good quality. Considering how much a decent handgun costs, even high quality leather seems pretty affordable to me.

fxstchewy
June 13, 2009, 01:38 PM
I know alot of people don't like them but, i like the Fobus Holsters. JMHO.

John Parker
June 13, 2009, 04:03 PM
I'll give a shout for Fobus too. I've used them on two deployments and found them to work very well. I had a G-Code as well for the ol' M11 but it just wasn't as comfortable as the Fobus, so back it went.

Dr. Fresh
June 13, 2009, 04:30 PM
I like my Bianchi OWB holster. It didn't cost a whole lot.

I use a crappy Mike's IWB for my PA-63.

David E
June 13, 2009, 05:15 PM
IPSC requires OWB

They don't require an OWB, as it's not a rule.

It's perfectly acceptable to shoot from an IWB at an IPSC/USPSA match.

If you're saying you need an OWB to be competitive, there are a few GM's that would disagree.

David E
June 13, 2009, 05:18 PM
FOBUS is an acronym:

Found
Out
Being
Utter
Sh**

And it's true

Fumbler
June 15, 2009, 11:07 AM
if you want a low cost holster for just range use then get a Fobus.
That's what I use for IDPA style shooting with my Sig 228.
The cant and retention works great for me.

Yes, they can break at the rivets if you grab the gun's grip and twist it hard enough.
BUT, if it's just range use it'll hold up fine and do exactly what you want and cost little.

If you're going to use it daily for a carry gun then spend the extra money on a nicer quality one.

NGIB
June 15, 2009, 11:30 AM
Check out CDNN as they carry the RSR retention holsters at $17. These are the same holsters that Sig sells for their guns. I have them for all of my major guns and they have adjustable cant and are very well built - much better made and sturdier than fobus. The matching dual mag carrier is only $9 as well...

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/gl19resedeho.html

RedAlert
June 15, 2009, 01:51 PM
Tell me David E, why you dislike the Fobus brand of holsters. Is there a specific feature or item that you find fault with. Or are you just into bashing the brand? I ask this because I own several of them and can find no problem with them. Other posters agree with me; so its not just me.

Inexpensive does not equate poor quality. Inexpensive means that they have the manufacturing process in control and find no reason to soak the end user with a major price tag.

In my opinion, leather has more faults than do the Kydex and injection molded polymer holsters.

They eventually do sag. They promote rust on blued weapons because they retain moisture. And they are over-priced.

I'll grant you they do look pretty.

Ralph

John Parker
June 15, 2009, 07:35 PM
FOBUS is an acronym:

Found
Out
Being
Utter
Sh**

And it's true

I handed out tons of them to Iraqi and Afghan sources that I had. Nice to know that there are tons of Muslims walking around with holsters that say 'Made in Israel.'

xm21
June 15, 2009, 08:55 PM
I love the Fobus for my Glock 19.I hate the Fobus I bought for my Colt Combat Commander,the Colt rattles around in it so I only use it for my AMT Skipper.The AMT rattles slightly less.The Colt lives in a Galco High Ride.I think I paid 19 dollars for the Fobus for the Glock and I got no complaints.

David E
June 15, 2009, 09:01 PM
Tell me David E, why you dislike the Fobus brand of holsters. Is there a specific feature or item that you find fault with. Or are you just into bashing the brand?

No, I'm not "just into bashing the brand." :rolleyes: Fobus makes other non-holster gear that's perfectly fine.

I've not had the chance to inspect a current non-riveted FOBUS, so my comments may apply only to the riveted style. (altho some probably transfer over to the new design, I don't know yet)

First of all, for most people, it carries the gun with a "butt in, muzzle out" attitude. This means that to draw the gun normally, the shooter's hand is off-center to start with. Then, they pull it straight up, further engaging the triggerguard indent, further hindering a smooth draw. Once the holster finally gives up the gun, the shooter finds that the gun is pointed to the right (right hand shooter) because of the off-center grip the holster mandates.

To get around that, the shooter begins to employ what I've dubbed the "Leaning Tower of Pisa" draw. A right handed shooter leans to the left, straightening out his right side so he can grip the gun properly. If he maintains the lean during the draw (most do) the triggerguard indent doesn't hinder the draw near as much, but it's still not a smooth draw. Once out, the shooter doesn't fire until he straightens up his body.

Then, upon reholstering, he runs the risk of dismantling his holster, as happened at a match this past weekend, much to the delight of everyone else. The shooter was none too happy. He was able to finish the match after duct taping his "holster" back together.

I took one in on trade for a 1911. I put my Govt model into it and couldn't get it out. The front sight was catching severely on the bottom of the holster. A 4" version fit adequately and I could get it out with less trouble.

The paddle has separated from the holster countless times.

The "speed cut" doesn't allow the gun muzzle to fit thru it, so it's not really a speed cut. (Uncle Mike's kydex holsters for the 1911 do the same thing)

The FOBUS does not allow for a smooth draw and you must fight for the gun each and every time.

Constantly fighting ones own equipment does not permit one to readily improve, much less excell.

B yond
June 23, 2009, 12:28 AM
I frequently carry my bt380 in a Houston paddle holster similar to this one. No complaints.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/pianoman5355317/Bersa45.jpg

Deltaboy
June 24, 2009, 03:44 PM
I use a Fobus for Range time only with my Sigma 40ve. I have had no issues with it.

David E
June 25, 2009, 11:32 AM
I use a Fobus for Range time only with my Sigma 40ve. I have had no issues with it.

How fast is your draw to first shot with it?

Lets make it an IPSC or IDPA target at 5 yds, hands at sides. Reacting to a random start signal, draw and fire and HIT the target, "C" zone or better to score.

(must use a shot timer, not a stop watch or second hand)

B yond
June 25, 2009, 08:47 PM
How fast is your draw to first shot with it?

Lets make it an IPSC or IDPA target at 5 yds, hands at sides. Reacting to a random start signal, draw and fire and HIT the target, "C" zone or better to score.

(must use a shot timer, not a stop watch or second hand)

He just said he's had no issues with it. He didn't say it was fast, and he didn't come off like he was trying to prove anything. He just said he's had no issues with it.

Besides, do you really expect anyone to follow your instructions on how to time a shot just to prove a point to some guy on the internet?

David E
June 26, 2009, 01:25 AM
It depends what he's using the holster for. If he's only using it for "range use" as he indicated, then he probably wouldn't have any "issues" with a burlap sack, either. Which is perfectly fine with me.

If, on the other hand, he's using it while seeking to enhance his defensive handgunning skills, a poorly designed or executed holster will hinder his progress significantly.

Besides, do you really expect anyone to follow your instructions on how to time a shot just to prove a point to some guy on the internet?

No, I was hoping he'd be curious enough to found out for himself how fast his first shot was.

Sadly, I've found that most people prefer to simply believe they are good without ever bothering to find out it's true.

Siderite
June 27, 2009, 10:17 PM
SHusky57,
though you mentioned that the holster would be for competition, and retention doesn't really play a role there, you did mention stresses.

I'm not sure of the brand of paddle holster in this video, but it does show how easily some plastics snap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDeKtgkZKmQ

David E
June 27, 2009, 10:29 PM
That holster in the video is a FOBUS !!!

(and it ain't kydex !)

I bet the wearer didn't have any "issues" with it just prior to that video being shot, either.

maniak
June 28, 2009, 12:49 AM
+1 on the High Noon Holsters.
And Fist Inc is another good source of well-made, custom-built holsters.

If you enjoyed reading about "Value Holsters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!