30-06 the great allrounder

PDA

byrnesy94
June 9, 2009, 03:50 AM
is the 30-06 a take all gun that will bring down big animal and small ones as well with the proper handloads

If you enjoyed reading about "30-06 the great allrounder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
interlock
June 9, 2009, 04:00 AM
yes it is

Big_E
June 9, 2009, 04:00 AM
Mostly so. With larger animals shot placement is key. I think it will take anything in the NA continent. Except when going against Kodiaks you won't see me w/ the "Trusty ol' Ought-Six." I'll be packin' a 45-70 or .375 HH. But Kodiaks have been taken with 30-06.

byrnesy94
June 9, 2009, 04:06 AM
the reason for asking is that i was looking on the internet and i saw an article that said he was taking rabbits, foxes .etc and they were still edible, i thought they would have been blown to pieces. he was using handload but they were very light and only pushing the bullet at the same velocity as a 22 rimfire. as well as having big loads as well for big game

Big_E
June 9, 2009, 04:10 AM
Yes just have to use headshots on small game I reckon. Otherwise, sending 220 grains at 2,300 fps and that thing goes POOF! 150 grains and laoding it down will help but make sure it will leave the barrel.

Deus Machina
June 9, 2009, 04:12 AM
I'm a fan of the three-line rifles for all purposes in the western hemisphere.

For small critters like that, I think FMJ (and good shot placement) or cast lead, especially with a rounded or flat point, and a light round would work pretty well, overall.

bad_aim_billy
June 9, 2009, 04:24 AM
I find that light magnum ballistic-tips do the most damage to small game from a .30/06

That way the meat is already tenderized. Well, if I can find the meat.

illinoisdeerhunter
June 9, 2009, 04:25 AM
Most improtantly, IMHO is, the 'trusty ole '06' has ammo that is readily available. I was once out of state with some guys on a hog hunting trip. One of the fellas had a 35 Remington and needed to buy an additional box of ammo. Try as we might, a box of 35 Remington couldn't be found in the nearby town however, 30-06 ammo was found at EVERY store we checked. Heck even the gas station and the hardware store had boxes of 30-06 under counter!

If you enjoyed reading about "30-06 the great allrounder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!