The Ruger SR 556: Seriously?!?!

PDA

Ridx
June 9, 2009, 07:03 PM
I'll keep this brief for I am sure most of you have formed your own opinions about ruger entering the foray of the ar-15, when the market is completely overrun with ar clones already; Why Ruger...WHY?!

If you enjoyed reading about "The Ruger SR 556: Seriously?!?!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P.B.Walsh
June 9, 2009, 07:17 PM
I don't know, but I think it'll be a competitor in piston rifles.

CoRoMo
June 9, 2009, 07:18 PM
Now they need to make their own 1911.

I was glad to see them jump in. Now we're just waiting on Springfield Armory to toss out an M4.

Kindrox
June 9, 2009, 07:18 PM
when the market is completely overrun with ar clones already

Because it seems people can sell all the AR15s they can make, and make decent profit margins to boot.

Its like asking why a company wants to get into the ammo market!

TexasRifleman
June 9, 2009, 07:22 PM
Why Ruger...WHY?!
I think you will see soon.

It will likely be one of the biggest selling ARs on the market.

It's a big move for a company with "household name" status.

First major maker of a piston AR? You can bet they will sell like mad.

Lone_Gunman
June 9, 2009, 07:22 PM
Ah, I see we have found another person that has not taken the time to look at what the Ruger AR actually is.

It is a gas piston AR. It is not intended to compete with 99% of the AR's on the market. It is the only piston AR made by a large company. Well, Bushmaster makes a few gas piston ARs I think, but not many.

Ruger hopes it has found a niche market.

They will sell all they can make, and for the first year I suspect they will sell for MSRP or more.

possum
June 9, 2009, 07:26 PM
just means more options for the gun buyers. i am interested to see how they hold up, especially with the track record of ruger, and the last few things they have came out with.

benEzra
June 9, 2009, 07:26 PM
The market is not overrun with well thought out piston AR's. There are a few, but not all that many. Personally, I like the fact that Ruger has gotten into the AR market; it's good for them and good for all of us, whether you personally like the Ruger AR or not.

TechBrute
June 9, 2009, 07:27 PM
Why Ruger...WHY?!

Is your next question, "Why do they make handguns smaller than a canned ham?"

CoRoMo
June 9, 2009, 07:28 PM
I think you will see soon.

It will likely be one of the biggest selling ARs on the market.

It's a big move for a company with "household name" status.

First major maker of a piston AR? You can bet they will sell like mad.

That is spot on. I can't yet say I'll own one, but the non-AR crowd that I've mentioned this gun to, are all in with bated breath. It's been amazing to see their reaction to pictures of this Ruger on the internet.

Stillwater97
June 9, 2009, 07:29 PM
The quest for Profit is an extremely compelling motive.

I just hope it proves to be more accurate than mini 14. ;)

I'm not sold on the ROI of the gas piston. Now I've never been in combat, nor is my AR a full auto, and I haven't sat down and shot 3k rounds in a short period of time. So, maybe for the military... I don't know.

I have shot about a thousand rounds in a day and a half shooting sage rats and had one failure (bad primer). I just kept the gun lubed up with CLP and it went bang every time I pulled the trigger.

My AR is very reliable the way it is.

just my couple of pesos.

CoRoMo
June 9, 2009, 07:35 PM
What do you guys think? Are they only after the civilian market or are they going to seriously pursue the LEO/military contract side of black-rifledom as well?

butters
June 9, 2009, 07:36 PM
Sounds like good business sense to me. Not to mention if Ruger can make a piston operated AR-15 and keep the quality decent and the prices on the competitive side then all the better for everyone.

ArmedBear
June 9, 2009, 07:42 PM
Piston ARs may be the wave of the future.

If the thing is as reliable as my Mini-14, but shoots groups like my AR, I'd sell both and buy it.

But are piston ARs as accurate as the direct-impingement guns?

I doubt they are (for a given set of specs of course).

stubbicatt
June 9, 2009, 07:45 PM
I'm looking seriously at trading into one.

ArmedBear
June 9, 2009, 07:49 PM
That said, I'm kinda "over" the AR, for now.

Obviously, though, there's still a bit of a market for the things.:D

Bartholomew Roberts
June 9, 2009, 08:00 PM
Ruger might as well release it... that way they can make a profit off of it while they wait to compete in the Army trials coming later this year as the M4 contract comes up for grabs.

I'm not a big fan of Ruger personally. Most of their guns strike me as inexpensively manufactured firearms aimed at the market of people who fire 200-500 rounds a year.

This looks like an interesting change though. If nothing else, Ruger is making a serious effort to go after the AR market.

gvnwst
June 9, 2009, 08:01 PM
But are piston ARs as accurate as the direct-impingement guns?

I doubt they are (for a given set of specs of course).
For equal specs, the piston rifle will be slightly less accurate. (some companies, like POF, are using oeversized barrel nuts which, fo some reason, have a positive effect on accuracy, so it is nearly equal)

benzy2
June 9, 2009, 08:08 PM
It will all come down to how it shoots. If it shoots like their mini-14 I'm going to pass. I like the idea of a piston driven AR and Ruger seems to be outsourcing decent parts. It really is going to come down to the barrel for me. If they can make the rifle shoot good ammo off a bench into 1 MOA I would jump on one after the initial rush has passed. If they don't hold that I personally would rather save $1200 and buy a mini-14. It will come down to how it shoots. I would also love to see an affordable conversion kit as well. I think they could get some decent money for one of those seeing how many people out there like the piston ARs but have a DI AR.

2RCO
June 9, 2009, 08:17 PM
I think the secret here is Ruger going for the LEO market. I think we'll see these on many SWAT teams and in the backs of police cruisers very soon.

I also wouldn't be amazed to hear of a Banana Republic or two arming their forces with them. This is Ruger going for the big bucks.

Frog48
June 9, 2009, 08:48 PM
are they going to seriously pursue the LEO/military contract side of black-rifledom as well?

They'd be crazy not to. Ruger Mini-14 has had alot of success with the law enforcement market. Its likely that LE agencies that currently deploy the Mini will turn to Ruger when it comes time to replace their rifles.

xd45gaper
June 9, 2009, 11:22 PM
i bet Bill is rolling over in his grave:D

Really though, why WOULDNT Ruger get into the AR game? Remington has a line, S&W has one to, Winchester.. well they are under FN's umbrella. Im not a huge fan of modern day Ruger's but they are just trying to compete in the firearms market and they are producing a product that is very sought after AND add the gas piston! its a no brainer!

P.B.Walsh
June 9, 2009, 11:53 PM
I think more manufactres should come out with gas piston AR's.

What is with the extra skinny handguard, looks kinds like a CETEME handguard.

SHvar
June 10, 2009, 02:22 AM
"First major maker of a piston AR", actually Bushmaster manufactures a POF licensed design, also LMT, and a few smaller companies make piston ARs.
I think Ruger has realized that there is a market for high quality, gas piston ARs with good quality parts. Who knows if they will actually make them (possibly outsource them?), but Ruger is one of a few American manufacturers of cold hammer forged barrels. If they put their available barrel technology into them, and make a good quality product, they could very likely make one of the best on the market.

OregonJohnny
June 10, 2009, 03:50 AM
Take a basic AR-15. Add a gas-piston conversion. Add a Troy quad rail and rear sight. Add 3 30-round P-Mags. Even without the crappy Hogue grip, you're now at over the current asking price of $1995. And they'll probably sell for more like $1,700. It's a nice looking rifle, and if Ruger does it right, it will sell like hot cakes.

CoRoMo
June 10, 2009, 10:01 AM
If is doesn't sale for the $1,500 range and below, I don't know if there would ever be a reason for me to get one. For $1,700, I think I will always find a better AR. However, I shouldn't say this with the first ever review still in waiting.

Uncle Mike
June 10, 2009, 10:09 AM
Now they need to make their own 1911.

Now they need to make a bolt action rifle...

cpirtle
June 10, 2009, 12:26 PM
I just bought one from a local dealer on Gunbroker for $1599, going to pick it up on my lunch break.

It may be a few days before I can get out to shoot, but I will post a review when I do.

CoRoMo
June 10, 2009, 12:30 PM
Ruger might as well release it...

I also thought these weren't 'out' yet.

I just bought one...

But I guess I was wrong.

federalfarmer
June 10, 2009, 12:37 PM
:D Ruger=Profit :D This good for American arms makers and for us. Competition in the market drives innovation and price. I hope they sell a boat load and change the playing field.

jerkface11
June 10, 2009, 01:20 PM
The more companies there are making AR's the more mainstream they are and that makes an "assault weapons" ban less likely.

P.B.Walsh
June 10, 2009, 01:24 PM
Ruger makes a bolt action rifle, several acually.....

TechBrute
June 10, 2009, 01:40 PM
The more companies there are making AR's the more mainstream they are and that makes an "assault weapons" ban less likely.And there is our $1,000,000 answer.

Ruger is the epitome of the "Why do you need an assault weapon?" mindset. With Bill's admirable, yet very outdated, views on firearms, they are practically a symbol of the gun owner that doesn't care about gun rights, so long as they leave his <insert random hunting/plinking firearm here> alone.

Corey
June 10, 2009, 02:18 PM
I heard you can already get on Ruger's waiting list for the recall:evil:
Sorry, somebody had to say it:D

CoRoMo
June 10, 2009, 02:27 PM

And they are fine rifles IMHO. I own a couple M77s.
But I think he was making a derogatory remark.

The more companies there are making AR's the more mainstream they are and that makes an "assault weapons" ban less likely.

I don't think manufacturers can beat back another AWB. Only we can. Will we?

ArmedBear
June 10, 2009, 02:27 PM

I've sampled the new Hawkeyes. Sadly, Ruger no longer makes a bolt action rifle IMO. They did, until recently.

Evidently, I'm not alone in my opinion. The used racks at Cabela's here are chock full of slightly-used Hawkeyes, even though they haven't been out for very long.

CoRoMo
June 10, 2009, 02:29 PM
AB...

What specifically about the Hawkeye can you expand on?

I only own the original M77s. I thought the Hawkeye was an improvement.

ArmedBear
June 10, 2009, 02:31 PM
They are some of the roughest guns I've ever seen, and the worst-feeling bolts.

The polish, fit and finish of the 77 through the Mark II are gone, replaced by something that seems a lot like a Mosin (not a Finnish Mosin).

CoRoMo
June 10, 2009, 02:43 PM
Ouch! Thanks for your 2.

P.B.Walsh
June 10, 2009, 02:50 PM
I just ment that I know that Ruger makes bolt-actions, I have only experience with 1, a borowed one for a couple of hunts, and got my first deer with one, I have know clue how good the quality is.

cpirtle
June 10, 2009, 03:14 PM
Just got back from picking the sr556 up, outstanding first impression and Ruger put together a very nice "package".

More to come..

PS: they have 8 left @ $1599 and will ship, PM me if interested and I will get you the phone number.

RockyMtnTactical
June 10, 2009, 03:15 PM
Because they decided they wanted a piece of the pie. Sounds reasonable to me.

seanie!
June 10, 2009, 03:31 PM
There's a Gunblast (http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR556.htm) review up on it already. It seems like an early pre-production model, but it looks pretty solid. For the price though, I think I'd still rather go for a Sig 556

ArmedBear
June 10, 2009, 04:30 PM
I don't know about SIG, but I know from experience that Ruger will REALLY back up their rifle.

benzy2
June 10, 2009, 04:37 PM
If they start at $1599 that puts them far into a reasonable price range for a piston driven AR, especially with that rail.

charlesb_la
June 10, 2009, 07:20 PM
http://www.onpointfirearms.com/blog/2009/05/31/ruger-sr-556-for-sale/

$1368.04

I don't see these rifles sitting on the shelf for long at that price point. Ruger will sell plenty of these.

P.B.Walsh
June 10, 2009, 07:49 PM
Wow, that's so cheap!!!!! :)

xd45gaper
June 10, 2009, 09:32 PM
http://www.onpointfirearms.com/blog/...-556-for-sale/

$1368.04

I don't see these rifles sitting on the shelf for long at that price point. Ruger will sell plenty of these.

I beleve Evan from On Point Firearms is a member here on this board.

nwilliams
June 10, 2009, 10:04 PM
If I can get an SR556 for under $1500 I wouldn't hesitate.

Impactguns has them listed for $1499
http://www.impactguns.com/store/736676059027.html
However since I don't have an FFL and I refuse to pay dealer transfer fees I'll just have to wait for them to shop up in stores locally and hope they are reasonably priced.

Uncle Mike
June 10, 2009, 10:09 PM
I heard you can already get on Ruger's waiting list for the recall
Sorry, somebody had to say it

....you are a bad, bad man :evil::neener:

I hope more piston AR's come of life, I like the idea, and apparently so does the military, if more manufacturers kick off production then we won't have to pay a small fortune for one as we must currently do.

I mean, there isn't an AR out there worth more than $500, gas piston flavor or not. I know.. we build them!

benEzra
June 10, 2009, 10:29 PM
I don't think manufacturers can beat back another AWB. Only we can. Will we?
I think the point is that the more companies make them (now ~35-40) and the more shooters lawfully own them, the easier it is to derail a new AWB. The original "assault weapon" fraud was passed by portraying modern-looking rifles as "fringe guns" rather than mainstream, but now the modern-looking rifles are the most popular centerfire rifles in the nation. That is a Good Thing.

P.B.Walsh
June 10, 2009, 10:39 PM
WOW, i didnt know so many manufactures made AR's!!!!!

gga357
June 10, 2009, 11:00 PM
My Hawkeye is very nice as nice as my M77. I had not heard there was a problem with the new ones.

jerkface11
June 11, 2009, 01:58 AM
I think the point is that the more companies make them (now ~35-40) and the more shooters lawfully own them, the easier it is to derail a new AWB. The original "assault weapon" fraud was passed by portraying modern-looking rifles as "fringe guns" rather than mainstream, but now the modern-looking rifles are the most popular centerfire rifles in the nation. That is a Good Thing.

Thank you for clarifying that. I thought I'd made it clear enough but I guess not.

Lone_Gunman
June 11, 2009, 08:34 AM
The original "assault weapon" fraud was passed by portraying modern-looking rifles as "fringe guns" rather than mainstream,

I am not sure how much that matters if they really get serious about a gun ban. Magazines holding more than 10 rounds were also very common, and they got banned.

cpirtle
June 13, 2009, 01:00 AM
Took my SR-556 out tonight.

I broke my cardinal rule and did not pre-clean the gun for the first outing, just didn't have time.

She ate about 200 rounds of .223 & 5.56, everything from Wolf (green), Russian brass ball & Hornady TAP without a hitch - just dropped the Eotech on and started shooting.

I am very impressed but this is my first AR so I don't have a lot to compare it to. My buddy was with me who has several and is now planning to pick up one of the Rugers, he really liked it as well.

At this point the only minor nit I have is that the upper rail is not seamless as it transitions to the forend (there's about a 1" solid section) so my Eotech has to be further out than I like. This could be fairly common across brands, not sure as I never thought about it until I put on the sight.

SHvar
June 13, 2009, 04:31 AM
Too bad the gas piston conversion kits are cheap compared to the quality and durability of the gas piston rifles that are made that way from the beginning. So dont consider the price of a conversion kit, consider the price of a good gas piston system that suggest professional installation, not those requiring 15-30 minutes and no mechanical inclination.
I use the hogue grip, i like it.
Consider the price of any gas piston AR rifles on the market, $1850 to almost $2500 or more, wait until H&K puts their prices out there.
Rugers AR has a special gas piston thats easily adjustable with a turn of the gas plug.
We shall see what happens in time.

SaxonPig
June 13, 2009, 09:38 AM
Is Ruger offering a new gun? Gee... I hadn't noticed. Maybe it's because I ignore Ruger since old Bill stabbed us in the back and sold us down the river in 1994.

TechBrute
June 13, 2009, 10:10 AM
Is Ruger offering a new gun? Gee... I hadn't noticed. Maybe it's because I ignore Ruger since old Bill stabbed us in the back and sold us down the river in 1994.
Bill is dead, the company is under new control, and it won't benefit anyone except the Bradys for Ruger to fail as a company.

Lone_Gunman
June 13, 2009, 11:16 AM
Bill is dead, the company is under new control, and it won't benefit anyone except the Bradys for Ruger to fail as a company.

I agree with this. Bill Ruger did stab us in the back, but the company has moved in an entirely new direction, and apparently one that Bill Ruger would not have agreed with. They are now once again offering Mini 14's with collapsible stocks. They are again selling 20 round mags for the Mini. Now they have introduced an AR...

I feel these things show they are not the same company they were in the early 90's when Bill was still in charge.

niteowl
June 13, 2009, 01:38 PM

Have you ignored Remington, Browning, Mossberg, S&W, Thompson Center, Weatherby, Winchester Ammunition (Olin), Hornady, (and a few others I can't remember).. since then as well?

Because those companies were/are part of SAAMI, and they endorsed what Bill said at the time. He was more or less a spokesman.

Ruger. The company that people love to hate.

J&J
June 14, 2009, 12:05 AM
I pick mine up this coming Wednesday. $1509 from my LGS. Looking at the cost of a decent ARplus all the accessories this one comes with it seems like a good deal, plus I appreciate Ruger reliability. I know there have been a few setbacks on that end with the recalls of late. This rifle seems well thought out to me and i am ready to get back into the AR format.

John

Armed012002
June 14, 2009, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the price updates.

$1,500 is a good deal for what you get.

cpirtle
June 14, 2009, 12:30 AM
I can relate to what SaxonPig is saying because I swore of S&W for many years (~15). But I agree that those people are long gone and new leadership at both S&W & Ruger have gone a long way to mend fences.

Have you looked into Henry Ford's political activity prior to and during WWII?

We may be seeing the end of American manufacturing as we know it anyway so lot's of people will get their wish. When Cap & Trade legislation is passed just about every manufacturer short of GE and Govornment Motors will move overseas or close shop.

Guess we can always buy Taurus.. :fire:

Here's a few shots of the new smoke pole..

http://www.pirtleranch.com/images/Guns/SR556/3.jpg

http://www.pirtleranch.com/images/Guns/SR556/2.jpg

http://www.pirtleranch.com/images/Guns/SR556/1.jpg

Eightball
June 14, 2009, 02:11 AM
Holy Ghost, you already have one?

W.E.G.
June 14, 2009, 03:10 PM
If I understand correctly, the new Ruger allows you to only clean the front half
of the two-piece piston assembly.

The front half comes out like a FAL gas plug.

The back half (Ruger calls it the "transfer rod"), and transfer rod spring, is captive.
So, if it becomes encrusted with crud, it could seize up - or maybe not.
In any event it cannot be removed for cleaning unless you drive out at least a
couple roll pins. Do that a few times and, at best, the roll-pin channels will
become enlarged.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/rugersr-5563.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/rugersr-5562.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/rugersr-556.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/rugergasplug.jpg

jerkface11
June 14, 2009, 03:25 PM
How does the adjustment on the gas system work and can it be turned off?

JR47
June 14, 2009, 05:38 PM
Do that a few times and, at best, the roll-pin channels will
become enlarged.

Gosh, and here roll pins have been in use for most of a couple of centuries on machinery that needed occasional maintenance. How come we haven't heard this about other fire-arms with roll-pins? I believe that the ejectors on a 1911, including those with an alloy frame, are held in place with a roll pin. The CZ52 also makes use of roll pins.

I'm thinking that this is either a bad experience caused by not knowing how to remove/ install roll-pins, or a repeating myth.:)

kwelz
June 14, 2009, 05:42 PM
How does the adjustment on the gas system work and can it be turned off?

Off and then three levels of On.

arizona98tj
June 14, 2009, 07:43 PM
Gosh, and here roll pins have been in use for most of a couple of centuries on machinery that needed occasional maintenance. How come we haven't heard this about other fire-arms with roll-pins? I believe that the ejectors on a 1911, including those with an alloy frame, are held in place with a roll pin. The CZ52 also makes use of roll pins.

Ssshhhhhh.....not too loud. Springfield uses them in their XDs too. :what:
We wouldn't want folks to stop buying Springfield because of those darn roll pins.

SHvar
June 15, 2009, 12:54 AM
Correction, I was reading the instructions, hmm. Not sure how you would clean the rear of the operating rod, maybe the thing is sealed and does not require being cleaned. I can tell you that my POF system (Bushamster) has a long rod and only the very front of it gets dirty, maybe thats why you only clean the small section that comes out of the piston assembly. I can also tell you that the piston assembly does not get much crap in it to clean, nowhere near as much as you would expect after cleaning a DI AR-15, any part of a DI model action gets far dirtier than any moving part of the piston model I have.

earlthegoat2
June 15, 2009, 03:33 PM
I love the idea of an AR with hardly any options. You have to get a gas piston. You have to get a quad rail and flat top. Since they are popular options anyway it makes sense.

2RCO
June 15, 2009, 03:54 PM
Picked mine up Friday. Pretty impressed with the whole package.

$1600 plus tax.. A bit better than the MSRP and not a bad price for what you get.

Mtn395
June 19, 2009, 10:52 AM
I like Ruger rifles, if I had $2,000 I would buy one.

mm6mm6
June 19, 2009, 05:37 PM
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/RugerSR556002.jpg

I love mine. I have always liked Ruger firearms. I have found their most recent offering to be outstanding. The SR9, LCP, LCR, and Mini-14 Tactical are all outstanding weapons in my opinion. None have failed me. The prices are outstanding.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/Rugerlcp013.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/RugerLCR004.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/RugerMini14015.jpg

I had little interest in an AR style rifle until the SR-556 came out. The fact that it is a Ruger is what swayed me. I like all the features that come standard on the SR-556. As a package, it's just what I would have put onto a standard AR-15, but the Ruger saved me the trouble. I fired my SR-556 back to back with a friend's Rock River. The gas piston system on the Ruger softens the felt recoil considerably (althought the .223 doesn't kick much anyway). For the price, I think the Ruger SR-556 is untouchable. No one else offers the Troy battle sights, Troy quad rail with covers, Hogue grip (which I find very comfortable), six position M4 stock, flash hider, and four position gas piston system (you use a .223 round to turn the adjuster in front of the front sight from 0-1-2-3.

My SR-556 shoots 30 rounds in the 10 ring at 25 yards from a standing unsupported position.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/RugerSR556025.jpg

It shoots 1 1/2" groups from a sandbag rest with a 3-9x40mm scope.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/RugerSR556028.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/RugerSR556036.jpg

I've shown my SR-556 to about two dozen shooters. Every single one has fawned over the gun. Those who know AR style rifles really like it alot. Three have said they're putting their other guns up for sale because they want the SR-556. The gas piston is the biggest selling point.

TechBrute
June 19, 2009, 07:47 PM
I like Ruger rifles, if I had $2,000 I would buy one.

For $2000, you could buy the rifle and an optic for it.

I saw one at the show last weekend for $1550 or so. Seriously, though, when Troy sights cost $250 for a set, and the forearm would usually run you over $200, you're talking $1100 for a rifle from a big name manufacturer. If this Ruger proves to be a quality piece, I think the price alone will make it move.

For the record, I'm not saying it's not a quality piece, but nearly any gun will get through the first 500 rounds without a problem. Talk to me after 5-10K.

cpirtle
June 20, 2009, 01:53 AM
I saw one at the show last weekend for $1550 or so. Seriously, though, when Troy sights cost $250 for a set, and the forearm would usually run you over $200, you're talking $1100 for a rifle from a big name manufacturer...

For the record, I'm not saying it's not a quality piece, but nearly any gun will get through the first 500 rounds without a problem. Talk to me after 5-10K.

That was a big factor for me, I paid 1599 for mine and when compared to an equally equipped non-gas S&W, Colt, Bushmaster etc it was a great deal.

I am not planning to clean or lube mine for at least 1000 rounds just to see what happens, ***, it's got a lifetime warranty ;)

I understand your logic on the 5-10k test for quality but 95% of this gun is outsourced to major manufacturers (barrel and flash supressor are made in house IIRC) and it's the first production gas operated AR built from the ground up. This should alleviate many problems.

USBP379
July 4, 2009, 09:37 AM
Do you guys have any signs of carrier tilt?

TechBrute
July 4, 2009, 12:13 PM
am not planning to clean or lube mine for at least 1000 rounds just to see what happens, ***, it's got a lifetime warranty

I can't speak for Ruger, but I wouldn't honor a warranty on an item that wasn't properly maintained. You don't need to clean it, but it needs to be lubed. Heck, I don't think 10K+ without cleaning is a big deal, as long as you're keeping it lubed.

TexasRifleman
July 4, 2009, 12:20 PM
can't speak for Ruger, but I wouldn't honor a warranty on an item that wasn't properly maintained. You don't need to clean it, but it needs to be lubed. Heck, I don't think 10K+ without cleaning is a big deal, as long as you're keeping it lubed.

Just to add to that, you need to check into Rugers "warranty". They don't actually have one.

Ruger has a very good reputation for fixing things for free, and that's good for business, but they are entirely free to not fix a firearm that they feel has been abused.

They have stated at one time or another, in writing, to customers that they won't fix:

* damage from reloads or out-of-spec ammo
* damage from misuse/neglect
* guns that have been modified from stock (grips/sights/accessories are OK, barrels/recoil springs/trigger jobs are not)
* damage as a result of failure to heed the warnings in the manual

They seem to be iffy on the trigger job thing. They have been known to repair things but to replace custom or altered parts with factory parts. They do return the other parts though.

But try if you want, it sounds like it could be a very expensive experiment :)

From Ruger:

The Magnuson-Moss Act (Public Law 93-637) does not require any seller or manufacturer of a consumer product to give a written warranty. It does provide that if a written warranty is given, it must be designated as "limited" or as "full" and sets minimum standards for a full warranty. Sturm,Ruger & Company, Inc. has elected not to provide any written warranty, either "limited" or "full, rather than to attempt to comply with the provisions of the Magnuson - Moss Act and the regulation issued thereunder. There are certain implied warranties under state law with respect to sales of comsumer goods.As the extent and interpretation of these implied warranties varies from state to state, you should refer to your state statutes. Sturm, Ruger and Company wishes to assure its customers of it's continued interest in providing service to owners of Ruger firearms.

nwilliams
July 4, 2009, 05:15 PM
My local shop just got two of them in the other day. I like the look and feel of them, they seem very well built but at $1800 I think I'll hold off for a while.

Rubber_Duck
July 5, 2009, 04:45 AM
nwilliams, where are you seeing the new Ruger AR? I haven't been able to locate a shop in Albuquerque that has one in stock yet.

wojownik
July 8, 2009, 05:29 PM
Not sure if anyone mentioned it earlier, but as to why Ruger may be getting into the AR market now might have something to do with the expiration of the Colt M4 contract. The Army may or may not competitively bid another run of M4, but if they do, Ruger would probably want a shot at the business.

IIRC, they Ruger wanted to bid the into the Army's handgun competition, but they missed their shot since the P85 was not quite ready. They're a bit late in the game now, but they may be looking to shake out the product line in the civilian market before making a run at DOD business...

nwilliams
July 8, 2009, 07:38 PM
nwilliams, where are you seeing the new Ruger AR? I haven't been able to locate a shop in Albuquerque that has one in stock yet.

The Outdoorsman here in Santa Fe had two of them last week. Not sure if they're still there or not.

Rubber_Duck
July 8, 2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks nwilliams. I was finally able to check one out at a little shop in Albuquerque. I really like the new Ruger AR, the Troy sights are very nice and it is about as front-heavy as I expected. Their price was $1700, a bit steep IMO.

July 8, 2009, 08:17 PM
gotm4 has done T&E on the 556 Ruger and posted it over M4Carbine.net and AR15Armory.com. Yes, it definitely shows sign of carrier tilt.

EvanWilliams
July 8, 2009, 08:59 PM
I don't own an AR. I can't justify it. I have a mini-14 (an old one!!) that is damn reliable. Not accurate? Well with the first 10 or 12 boxes of ammo i tried, yes. Some it shot OK(remington 55gr jhp) and others horribly (Wolf). Then I found the sweet spot. WWB 45gr jhp varmint round!!! I am a terrible rifle shot but I can keep it at an inch with iron sights (or could 8 years ago) with that load. My mini loves it.

Gibbles
July 8, 2009, 09:15 PM
I was glad to see them pop out an AR, same with Remington's AR-15, although I wish they offered it with options.

If you enjoyed reading about "The Ruger SR 556: Seriously?!?!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!