Just bought a PA-63

PDA

Dr. Fresh
June 9, 2009, 08:44 PM
So I just bought one of these Hungarian 9x18 beasts, and I have a few questions.

Does anyone make holsters for this pistol? More specifically, I'm looking for an IWB and/or ankle holster.

Are there instructions for disassembly/cleaning online?

Assuming it's in working order, is the pistol safe to carry chambered? It has a really heavy trigger, but I'm not sure if it has any passive safeties.

Is it safe to dry fire?

And lastly, I hear a lot about people replacing the springs to reduce recoil. Will it still function reliably with the stock springs, or am I better off getting new ones?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just bought a PA-63" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dr. Fresh
June 9, 2009, 08:52 PM
Just for the heck of it, a pic:

http://i39.tinypic.com/rrrvv6.jpg

6x6pinz
June 9, 2009, 09:23 PM
Congrats on your acquisition. I have had mine for a while and really enjoy it. The 9x18 round can be a little abrupt but that is the way it seems to be in most 9x18 pistols. I had to go with a generic IWB to fit it but I know there are some out there making custom holsters for it that are fabulous. There is some nice information available on this forum http://p64resource.com/ both about the pistol and holsters. I have manuals for it in PDF if you would like I could send one to you. There is a generic on available here http://www.centuryarms.com/Century/pages/Manuals.htm

I shoot mine just the way it came, no issues so no need to mess with it, others have reported some good results from spring changes.

I have the 32acp version and it is no where near as reliable as the 9x18, have heard the same from several others. I am still trying to work out the problems with the 32 version.

Dr. Fresh
June 9, 2009, 09:28 PM
Thanks a bunch.

Haha wow, this thing is ridiculously easy to disassemble. Dang! I like how there aren't any pins to fiddle with.

Ron James
June 9, 2009, 10:01 PM
Note of caution, the sear pivot pins are held on by the grips. Take the grips off, move the frame around and the small pins will fall out, never to be seen again.

Dr. Fresh
June 9, 2009, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the warning. Now I know never to remove the grips, haha. Sounds almost as scary as disassembling my Winchester 1866.

christcorp
June 9, 2009, 10:36 PM
Hint; if you cock the hammer (No magazine or round in the chamber please); it will put tension on the sear and the pins won't fall out when you remove the grips. I love these guns. I also have the AP-MBP which is exactly the same gun except in 32auto; also known as 7.65. But anyway; cock the hammer PRIOR to removing the grips.

trstafford
June 9, 2009, 10:54 PM
I saw somewhere but can't remember where to reference you to that they take the same holster as a PPK. That is what I bought for mine and it fits perfectly.

legumeofterror
June 9, 2009, 11:24 PM
if you take off the slide and pull the trigger, you will see a little pin lift out of the frame. this is the firing pin lifter, and it is the passive safety. unless you pull the trigger, the hammer cannot strike the firing pin.

Dr. Fresh
June 10, 2009, 01:01 AM
Very good to know legumeofterror. Great name, by the way.

GLOOB
June 10, 2009, 10:00 AM
Aw.. Legume beat me cuz I had a power outtage. :)

You can test the firing pin safety with a pencil. Put it in the unloaded gun, eraser end, first. Pull back the hammer 80% and let go. The pencil shouldn't move. Make sure the gun is pointed upside down (handle pointing up), though. If it's right side up, then gravity might hold the firing pin in the safe position, regardless if the firing pin safety plunger/spring are missing or broken.

That said, I'm not liking the design of the firing pin safety. It causes extra friction on the firing pin. The spring loaded plunger drags along with the firing pin the entire length of travel

I have done the Wolff springs change (and already discarded the originial spring) and I am getting light strikes using hungarian military surplus ammo. And I chose the heaviest Wolf replacement springs, main and recoil.

I'm probably going to remove the firing pin safety before my next trip to the range to see if that cures things.

Dr. Fresh
June 10, 2009, 04:56 PM
Good luck with that. I'm gonna try mine with stock springs and everything else. One thing I noticed, the magazine feels squishy and cheap, and the rounds tend not to point in the correct direction when I put them in until I slap it against my hand. They're also hard to remove from the mag. Is this normal? My S&W has much more confidence-inspiring mags.

And doesn't the PPK have a much shorter barrel? I'm surprised they can use the same holsters.

legumeofterror
June 10, 2009, 07:10 PM
this is closer to the PP than the PPK. the magazines are kinda hit and miss,of the 4 i have, two are great, one is just ok, and the other needed alot of work to get to work correctly, and even then its not that great.

Dr. Fresh
June 11, 2009, 07:23 PM
Did the mags still function?

FEG63ISFINE
June 12, 2009, 08:09 PM
Looks like mine he!he! great little gun for the money
I like it better than the Bersa I had. Not knocking the 380 Bersa great shooter but.
-Stronger frame, 1% titanium.
-Hotter than a 380
-Easy to fix the heavy DA & Recoil

Dr. Fresh
June 12, 2009, 10:32 PM
I can see by your name that you're a fan of these little things. :D

I had a Bersa Model 85 for a while. Nice little gun until it broke on me at the range.

FEG63ISFINE
June 12, 2009, 11:40 PM
LOL seems that way, I happen to just buy the PA-63 when I found this forum when looking for info about it.

I guess if I bought a Bersa my user name would have been different. Wish I would have used something else actually.

My 85 never broke but I had bought mine in 2000 and shoot a lot of ammo in it. I think when they started getting popular production suffered.

FEG63ISFINE
June 12, 2009, 11:47 PM
Correction
Mine was the "Thunder 380" is that the same gun?
and I think I got it in 1999 instead of 2000

midmoboy
June 12, 2009, 11:48 PM
I have a PA-63 and installed a heavier spring to help stop it stove piping with cheap ammo. It worked. It is a pleasure to shoot. I love the little turd! Surprisingly accurate too.

Dr. Fresh
June 13, 2009, 02:53 AM
Can't wait to take it out to the range for the first time. :D

FEG63ISFINE, the 85 was an older model, I think from the late 80s. It had a double-stack mag and wood grips.

It looked exactly like this one I just found on the internet:
http://206.242.12.1/bersa.jpg

FEG63ISFINE
June 13, 2009, 09:05 PM
Hope it shoots well for you Dr. Fresh.

Thanks, mine was the alum. frame and I saw were the guy supposedly sold it for $285, pricey but it is in great shape.

If I had my druthers I would go with the CZ82, I think that would be a good one for the forum CZ82 or Bersa 85?

Dr. Fresh
June 14, 2009, 05:15 PM
I wanna get a CZ82 next. Wouldn't mind having my 85 back either.

woad_yurt
June 14, 2009, 05:22 PM
Please consider replacement hammer and recoil springs. I did mine and the gun is now one I won't go without. It's light, accurate, dependable and affordable. Its DA trigger pull is now right at perfectly acceptable and the stiffer recoil spring lessens the slam to the hand quite a bit. It's my carry gun in jacket weather.

Dr. Fresh
June 14, 2009, 05:56 PM
I'm gonna take it out and shoot it soon. If I have trouble with the recoil or trigger pull I'll replace the springs.

harmon rabb
June 14, 2009, 06:06 PM
why is the 9x18 such a snappy round? i've always wondered that.

TCOV
June 14, 2009, 06:30 PM
The 9x18 falls between 380 and 9mm. In a lightweight pistol recoil can be sharp. Wolff spring kits can help reduce felt recoil but may require some experimentation to insure reliability. I think I started with the light hammer spring and moved up until the pistol fired every time. The springs and a Hogue slip on grip boot can make the PA 63 a good cheap light weight carry pistol. Be sure to check your ammo as some seems to be too long to work reliably from the mags. I just use Wolf hardball.

woad_yurt
June 14, 2009, 07:10 PM
I don't think the round is particularly "snappy" in and of itself. A PA 63 is a pretty light gun.

FEG63ISFINE
June 14, 2009, 07:36 PM
Ditto the Wolff springs, Wolf ammo & the Hornady 9X18 worked fine in mine. But some people like a guy I know the recoil doesn't bother them.
The 9x18 gets over the 1000fps stage and seconder wounds (braking bones) don't start until a bullet reaches a 1000fps. The 380 is running in the 900's. Now you can push ether to higher speed but these are standard rounds to be had.
10-4 on the 85 Dr. Fresh same here about my Thunder I carried it more than my G23. The CZ82 just makes sense its just fast enough like I mentioned above but you got 13 rounds. Of course when I carried my Beretta 22 I laughed inside at people that said it wasn't a got defense gun. 6 rounds in the fatal triangle of the face and it's over. Bigger bullets just makes it easier and faster.

Dr. Fresh
June 14, 2009, 09:11 PM
Yeah, for sure. I like to have at least 2 guns for every caliber I have, so there's another reason for me to get a CZ82. :D

FEG63ISFINE
June 14, 2009, 10:10 PM
Man your Right I have more ammo of what reason to tell the ole lady of why I want one, U Da Man.

Her sons getting married and it's hard for her to %^tch because of the money were spending on the wedding he!he!.

Dr. Fresh
June 15, 2009, 02:12 AM
Take advantage of the chaos of the upcoming wedding and buy a pistol! :D

FEG63ISFINE
June 15, 2009, 04:20 PM
Went out looking around today and didn't see anything that was a must only picked up some 38's to sight in a Ruger S6 I got a couple months back. Did a trigger job on it and noticed testing it it's shooting way off so don't want to waste the 357's.

I can milk this opportunity of chaos witch is now reaching hi levels the closer it gets to D-Day like you said, because I'm laid off I could very well say no to the hole deal but I haven't it's a special time for a woman just like us picking up a new pistola but a woman doesn't understand that. I could buy one & hide it take it out shoot it when she's making her trips to set this thing up and a couple of months from now do like they do with new clothes or shoes out of the closet, "O! this old thing I've had it for ever"

BHP FAN
June 15, 2009, 04:44 PM
I have a PA63 and a Makarov.once I put the Houge slip on grip on the PA63 and the Pearce grips on the Mak,they were pretty fun to shoot...

FEG63ISFINE
June 15, 2009, 10:32 PM
Never shoot a Mararov I bet felt recoil is less? wouldn't mined having one for sure.
I used a Limbsaver by SVL on my PA63 and a wolff 15# spring.
The slip on grip is a little thicker than most and it could cause a problem for smaller hands. Luckly it fit my hands ok putting the trigger just right but a little harder to reach the mag release.

exdetsgt
June 16, 2009, 01:09 AM
Bought a FEG PA-63 recently, mainly because ammo is plentiful and relatively cheap. After learning about the pistol here and there on the internet, I ordered from Wolff a 15# recoil spring and a 9# hammer spring. At 17 yards I can do 3" groups and that's good enough for me. I bought a PPK holster and it seems to fit fine.

Magazines look cheaply made. I wish Wilson made mags for these. Does anyone know if there are any better mags out there?

FEG63ISFINE
June 16, 2009, 09:17 PM
Exdetsgt using the 9# spring what would you say the impovement is from 1 to 10?

I clipped 2 coils off the original so I would say it was about 7 on improvement, still not to my liking.

exdetsgt
June 17, 2009, 12:40 PM
I'm not sure about the 1-10 rating scale, but trigger pull single action is now comparable to my S&W Chief's Special, which is a good thing indeed. And of course double action trigger pull force is also lessened.

For me, it's turned a P.I.T.A. shooter into a friendly one.

On your scale I would rate SA pull improvement at 8.

Plus, the spring kit is an amazingly cheap way to dramatically
improve the FEG PA-63. Total price for the kit was $18.13 to
my front porch.

FEG63ISFINE
June 17, 2009, 03:24 PM
I'll order a set I should have when I ordered the recoil spring, I don't know what I was thinking.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Just bought a PA-63" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!