Best variable scope for under $300

PDA

DammitBoy
June 10, 2009, 11:24 AM
I'm building a custom 10/22 as a summer project and I want to put decent optics on it but don't want to spend a huge sum of money for it.

I'd like to have a 30mm tube and an illuminated crosshair. I'm thinking a 6-14x50 or something along those lines.

Has anybody had any success with the Leapers line of optics? Any helpful advice is appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best variable scope for under $300" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CoRoMo
June 10, 2009, 11:28 AM
I only know/use Leupold and Nikon scopes so far. Both make quality stuff in your price range. However the specs you're including probably push their stuff out of your range.

Uncle Mike
June 10, 2009, 11:34 AM
Check out Millett Scopes-
Better than leapers-

ArmedBear
June 10, 2009, 11:37 AM
I want to put decent optics on it but don't want to spend a huge sum of money for it.

Mutually exclusive.

These are on sale: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0012796711146a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=burris&sort=all&Go.y=0&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

My FF II is a truly great scope, for the money I paid.

These Nikons:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0034462712275a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&Go.y=0&selectedPerPage=36&Nty=1&hasJS=true&Ntt=nikon&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&firstPage=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&Go.x=0&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1

Nikon makes really nice budget optics.

I wouldn't go any cheaper. You'll regret it.

Or, just get a regular 3-9x40mm. Nothing you can do with a 10/22 built on a budget requires more.

I have a Nikon 4x32mm on a Marlin 60, and it'll shoot sub-MOA all day long if I hold it steady enough. I don't need any more magnification at rimfire ranges. At 100 yards, I can see the tears around the bullet holes in a white target, with a 9x scope.

Leupold, Nikon, and Burris all make scopes for under $300 that are worth looking through.

Vern Humphrey
June 10, 2009, 11:46 AM
What is your intended use for this scope? Target shooting, plinking and informal shooting, varmit hunting, or small game hunting?

I have won money shooting metallic silhouette with a Kimber M82 and a Burris 4X mini-scope. And killed a boxcar load of squirrels with the same rig.

DammitBoy
June 10, 2009, 11:48 AM
Vern - target shooting at 100 yards and plinking.

Vern Humphrey
June 10, 2009, 11:59 AM
I have another Burris Mini in 3X9 on my Ruger M77/22M and that rifle is zeroed at 100 yards. I've never wished for more scope on that rifle.

ArmedBear
June 10, 2009, 12:02 PM
100 yards? 3-9x40 is PLENTY.

Put your money towards quality, then, not bells and whistles.:)

Uncle Mike
June 10, 2009, 12:19 PM
Dammit Boy... Millett 4-16X56, side focus, 30mm tube,Target turrets and a 4" sunshade. Reticles... duplex, mil dot, fine x-hair.
Should be less than $300-

Millett 3-9X44, 3-10X50, 4-16X44-
Tactial Model... 4-16X56 or the 4-16X50mm mil dot illuminated-

All units are less than $300 and some less than $200-

For paper punchin' the big objective is a plus, as is the higher magnification.

Never mind the, 'you don't need that big of an objective or that much magnification'... once you use this set up you will see what I mean.

Weaver Classic V-Series 2-10X38- < $300

Simmons Aetec Master Series... 2.8-10X44 or the 4-14X44 Side Focus-
< $300

Nikon Buckmaster 3-9X40, 4.5-14X50 Side Focus- < $300

Sightron SII 3-9X42- < $300

Intensity Optics... GLS 3-10X42, 4-12X44 AO, 6.5-20X44 AO and the
ALS series 2.8-10X44, 3.8-12X44 AO- <$300

Burris Fullfield II 3-9X40, European 3-9X40.- < $300
Burris Fulfield II Tactical with tac-2 knobs, olive drab, 3-9X40- < $300
Burris Timberline 3-9X32, 4.5-14X32 AO- < $300
I think we have, or had some Burris FF II 3-9X50 for less than < $300-

Leupold VX I 3-9X40- < $300
Leupold Rifleman 3-9X40, 4-12X40- < $300

Good Shooting-:D

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
June 10, 2009, 01:54 PM
100 yards? 3-9x40 is PLENTY.

No. Not true AT ALL. Not for a rimfire, and not for a target rifle. And certainly not for a target rimfire! I would want a minimum high end of at *least* 14x, even for just 50 yards, and preferably 18-20x, for a target rimfire. Way, way different from a hunting centerfire where 3-9x40 is plenty.

Same subject in a recent thread - look at my recommendations in that recent similar thread.

Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40mm is probably your best bet. $299.99.

atblis
June 10, 2009, 01:57 PM
That magnification range and set of features is not optimum for a quality scope in that price range.

If you go with the 3-9x40 series, you can get a really nice scope for $300 (for ~$400 you can get a Zeiss). You get your best bang for the buck with that size.

Ditch the illuminated reticle because you will not get a quality scope for that price with that feature.

Bushnell Elite 4200/3200
Nikon
Sightron S2
Weaver Classic/Grandslam
Burris
Leupold
etc. etc.

I have a Weaver Classic 4-16x42mm with a fine cross hair that is a great scope. The tracking on it is top notch.

EDIT: SWFA.com has a Nikon Monarch on their sample list that might work

9502 Nikon 3-12x42 Monarch 8419, Matte finish, Niko plex reticle, 1" tube, side focus, 1/4moa finger adjustable windage and elevation, factory reconditioned $319.95

ArmedBear
June 10, 2009, 02:04 PM
I would want a minimum high end of at *least* 14x, even for just 50 yards, for a target rimfire.

Sure. But not one for under 300 bucks.:)

A clear, bright 9x beats anything that isn't.

That said, I shoot 1/2" groups with a 4X Nikon on a stock Marlin 60 at 50 yards. You can choose your targets, too, if you're not involved in competition that chooses them for you. The right target colors/contrast can make high scope magnification far less important, even at 100 yards.

As I wrote above, high magnification, low price, bells and whistles, and great optics aren't found in the same scope.

If I had to choose, I'd take the 3-9x40mm that's generally the best price/performance tradeoff in mid-range brands, and get the best scope I can for the money, instead of getting a bit more magnification and inferior optics.

And in a 30mm tube with an illuminated reticle? Puh-lease!

"Leapers" doesn't exactly scream "target rifle"...:)

For a real rimfire target gun, a 24X scope, or even more, is great. But not a CHEAP one. That's what I figure.

cbrgator
June 10, 2009, 02:09 PM
Nikon Buckmasters is a good choice.

Reid73
June 10, 2009, 02:30 PM
I want to put decent optics on it but don't want to spend a huge sum of money for it. I'd like to have a 30mm tube and an illuminated crosshair. I'm thinking a 6-14x50 or something along those lines.

I want a new hand-tailored suit, and don't want to spend a huge amount of money for it. I'd like to have 24k buttons and the purest silk lining. I'm thinking vicuņa wool or something along those lines. :rolleyes:

Seriously: if you don't have a lot of money to spend (no shame in that), avoid all the bells and whistles and put your cash towards basic quality. $300 can buy a decent scope, but the more your dollars are stretched to pay for fancy features, the more manufacturing corners have to be cut ... it's only common sense.

usmc1371
June 10, 2009, 02:40 PM
check out the bushnell 3200 i think they have ilum reticle and the price is not bad at all. pretty good glass to.

benzy2
June 10, 2009, 02:57 PM
Ok let me ask why you want a 30 mm tube and why you want an illuminated reticle?

A while ago I bought an illuminated reticle scope and at first it was the coolest thing. Then after a week or two it became just another feature I didn't use, extra weight I didn't want, and extra expense I should have put towards better glass.

The 30mm tube seems a bit odd as well. 30mm tubes normally give you additional turret adjustment. If you are shooting at a fixed 100 yards it has no benefit. If you are plinking under 200 yards most scopes should be able to adjust from up close out to 200 yards with a .22lr.

These both seem like options that sound cool but when you analyze your shooting may not mean much in the slightest. Most 30mm rings are a little more expensive than standard 1" rings. As such I would rather run burris singature rings and use their inserts to get a little more elevation than run a cheap 30mm tube scope at the edges of its adjustment range.

Atblis has a good range of scopes listed that are fairly common at your local stores. The Bushnell lines seem to have the least adjustment in their turrets and the Nikon Buckmaster line only focuses to a stated 50 yards though mine in reality will go past the first mark down to 33 yards (measured).

saturno_v
June 10, 2009, 03:50 PM
I own 4 Center Point 4-16X 40 Scopes with illuminated Mil Dot reticle and turret locking rings.

They are installed on 2 30-06, a 30-30 lever and a 338 Win Mag.

I got them for $69.99 each at Wal Mart, They come complete with rings (Weaver style).

Before the fire starts (they are junk, rubbish and bla bla bla) I'm telling you that all of them hold zero perfectly, they repeat zero between different settings and have clear glass....so hold your horses please...

Tried up to 300 yards (my range)

I'm going to buy the fifth one for my AK

No 30 mm tube, just regular one inch, steel construction, fogproof, shockproof

Lifetime warranty

Regards

freonr22
June 10, 2009, 04:39 PM
you might check www.thesamplelist.com inventory varies...

Uncle Mike
June 10, 2009, 04:47 PM
I would want a minimum high end of at *least* 14x, even for just 50 yards, for a target rimfire.
Sure. But not one for under 300 bucks.

Sure he can, and a pretty descent quality one at that.:D

DammitBoy
June 10, 2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks to Uncle Mike and the other guys that actually were trying to be helpful instead of being condescending pricks like some folks just seem to have to be... :rolleyes:

It's not a question of not having the money to spend on a high performance top dollar scope to me, it's a question of need.

I've spent over 5 grand so far this year on guns and ammo - I can afford whatever I want to get.

My question was about getting a decent middle of the road scope for a playing around project. I'm not expecting to be able to buy the best Austrian optics out there for around $300 bucks, but I'd like to avoid the junk too. My eyesight ain't what it used to be and I figured the illuminated reticle might be helpful if not cost prohibitive. I've heard that 30mm scopes are stronger and made better than 1" scopes. Never would consider myself a scope expert, so I thought I'd ask here.

Thankfully the helpful advice seems to have far outweighed the bs smartymans factor!

cbrgator
June 10, 2009, 07:16 PM
I own 4 Center Point 4-16X 40 Scopes with illuminated Mil Dot reticle and turret locking rings.

They are installed on 2 30-06, a 30-30 lever and a 338 Win Mag.

I got them for $69.99 each at Wal Mart, They come complete with rings (Weaver style).

Before the fire starts (they are junk, rubbish and bla bla bla) I'm telling you that all of them hold zero perfectly, they repeat zero between different settings and have clear glass....so hold your horses please...

I've heard that about Centerpoints before. I'll take your word for it, but I just don't get how they do it?

DammitBoy
June 10, 2009, 07:28 PM
I never agree with people who insist you can't find quality without spending a fortune.

For instance, my Yamaha VStar 1100 is twice the motorcycle for half the money you'd spend on a comparable Harley. I think it's silly to blow extra money for a logo status symbol.

I'm sure there are some logo status symbols you are paying for in the optics field just like anywhere else.

Arbor
June 10, 2009, 07:31 PM
The Bushnell 3200 is a very clear, well made scope for the money. You just have to look through a couple to understand. Can be had for under $300 easy on the 'net.

robsc
June 10, 2009, 07:39 PM
Weaver V24 $299.00 Natchez shooter supply

ArmedBear
June 10, 2009, 07:41 PM
The Bushnell 3200 is a very clear, well made scope for the money. You just have to look through a couple to understand. Can be had for under $300 easy on the 'net.

6-14x50mm, 30mm tube, illuminated reticle?

benzy2
June 10, 2009, 07:42 PM
I don't know if the condescending comment was pointed my way or not. I will say that for fixed distance target shooting or anything but very long range (which becomes medium range with the .22lr) shooting the 30mm doesn't make much difference. 1" tubes built by a decent company will take all the abuse you should be giving them and should allow for all the adjustment needed. The tactical guys who need to adjust from 50 yards out to more than even 1000 yards need a lot of adjustment which the 30mm allows. Again these guys are the ones beating the sin out of their rifles as well so any extra strength is important. To the rest of us it doesn't mean much.

The illuminated crosshair is just another item I thought was cool but ended up never using and thought could save you some money. Its more of a personal thing but in the experience I had with them I wouldn't spend extra money to get one again.

As I said I think you would get the best value out of a scope with neither of these options. As a few have said the more plain a scope is the more budget can go towards glass and build quality. $300 can get a decent scope though its on the edge for something in the 14-18x range. I understand the justifying only so much type thing, regardless of how much money is in the bank account. That said for what I personally think are quality scopes with that magnification you may need just a little more cash. I have a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x which was around $350 and its about as cheap as I would go on an 18x. The one exception I have seen is that Cabelas will discount their Alaskan Guide line about yearly. These are all Japan made scopes coming from the same plant that makes the Sightron glass. I have enjoyed those scopes and picked one up that originally ran in the $400 range for under $150. Since then the discounts haven't been that nice but still should get you there for under the $300 budget. Natchez has some nice Weavers on sale as well that you may want to look at.

CH47gunner
June 10, 2009, 07:55 PM
The Mueller scopes are a big hit over on Rimfirecentral.

These are both much less than $300.00
I have one of the 8.5-25x44AO Tactical w/ Mildot reticle scopes on my Custom 10/22 and like it alot. Eye relief is criticle but is very repeatable and reliable. $160.00.

There is also the 8.5-25x50 Eraticator w/ Illuminated dot reticle that is supposed to be an excellent scope too. $230.00. I believe I'm going to purchase this one for my next Target .22 build.

Here's a couple of links. And a pic of my Custom 10/22 w/ 8.5-25x44AO Tactical scope.

Bruce

Mueller 8-25x 50mm 1" tube Eraticator riflescope
http://www.mizzoumuleguns.com/id55.html

Mueller 8.5-25×44AO Tactical 1" tube
http://www.mizzoumuleguns.com/id45.html

Custom 10/22 w/ 8.5-25x44AO Tactical scope.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f232/ch47gunner/P9010006-1.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f232/ch47gunner/P9010001-1.jpg

DammitBoy
June 10, 2009, 08:04 PM
That's a great looking rifle, Ch47!

---

Nope benzy - not directed at you at all. Your comments are much appreciated, you make some very vaild and well-thought out points.

I thunk I mighta learned me somethin'!!

skoro
June 10, 2009, 08:05 PM
I'm building a custom 10/22 as a summer project and I want to put decent optics on it but don't want to spend a huge sum of money for it.

If you don't really need that high magnification (it's a .22LR after all) you'll be very pleased with a Weaver RV-7.

Reid73
June 10, 2009, 08:32 PM
As a few have said the more plain a scope is the more budget can go towards glass and build quality.My point exactly. Seems like it went a bit over his head, probably because of my attempt at humour: which apparently caused offense and provoked the profanity tirade. :(

saturno_v
June 10, 2009, 08:35 PM
I've heard that about Centerpoints before. I'll take your word for it, but I just don't get how they do it?

I don't know...maybe it's an initial loss leader proposition in order to "spread the word" on the product....I know that Crossman, the owner of the Center Point brand, is very determined to break into the affordable quality riflescope market...

I just can tell you that I will take advantage of this price till it last...Wal Mart has other 2 models regularly in stock, of less power.

I heard only of very few cases of problems with them and they were promptly resolved with Customer Service...scopes replaced with no question to ask.

Uncle Mike
June 10, 2009, 08:48 PM
CH47. Sweeeeet 10/22-

I bet your settin' on the couch rubbin' on it now.. the 10/22 that is.

How does it shoot?

Dammitboy, did you check out the Millett scopes yet.
I hear that Millett upgraded lenses last Nov. which is good because all the older stuff will be gone by now, you would be able to get the new lenses models now I would bet.:D

http://www.natchezss.com/index.cfm These guys will sell retail, you won't get dealer pricing but they have good prices.
Burris Fulfield II on sale now and comes with free extra stuff like bino's, Garmin GPS or Spotting scope.

Peace :D

Reid73
June 10, 2009, 08:48 PM
There was a recent thread (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=442479&highlight=centerpoint+walmart) in which a fellow had bad experience with several Centerpoint scopes purchased through Walmart (no problems getting his money back). IIRC, several other people reported similar experiences; but I posted other links that were relatively positive.

If they are working well for you, I don't wonder that you keep buying them ... the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Uncle Mike
June 10, 2009, 09:03 PM
My daughter and I, well mainly my daughter, shot silhouette last summer with a CZ 452, timney trigger and a Millett 6-25X56 scope bolted to the top of it.

With the scope turned up, from 30 yards to 110 yards(the maximum distance we shot)you could see the trace and splash.. it was to say the least cool.

I was calling her shots by watching the trace... she thought it was cool to see the bullet trucking on down range.

For the physics guys.. it was not actually the 'trace' but the bullet itself we could see, as long as the sun was bright.

:D

TX Hog Hunter
June 10, 2009, 09:24 PM
Get the best quality Bushnell or Nikon you can afford and you'll be happy.

benzy2
June 10, 2009, 09:28 PM
In this case I would go against both Nikon and Bushnell. The Bushnell for the fact that they have about half the adjustment range as the field and against Nikon as their scopes don't adjust for parallax down to 25 yards. While initially the plan is fixed 100 yard shooting 25 yard rimfire gets addictive as well. For that and to move out to 150-200 yards neither scope fits that role well. I like both scopes, I don't think they make good rimfire scopes though.

TEC
June 10, 2009, 09:39 PM
Check out the Hawke Eclipse. I have one on my AirArms S410 and it is a great scope. 30mm tube, mil dot, R/G lighted reticle, sidewheel AO, 4-16X50mm AO.

http://www.hawkeoptics.com/us/riflescopes/eclipsesf/index.php

MCgunner
June 10, 2009, 09:41 PM
The modern Weaver is an excellent scope for the money. Mine's a 2x10x40, very versatile hunting scope. It's not on a 10/22, though. I have a 10/22 and never put a scope on it, wanted it without scope. I have Bushnells on my other 4 .22s. They all work fine.

lipadj46
June 10, 2009, 10:05 PM
http://swfa.com:80/Nikon-Team-Primos-Riflescopes-C1407.aspx

Uncle Mike
June 10, 2009, 10:52 PM
http://www.natchezss.com/index.cfm Lots on sale this month-

Get it today, don't delay, take it away-:D

saturno_v
June 11, 2009, 12:24 AM
There was a recent thread in which a fellow had bad experience with several Centerpoint scopes purchased through Walmart (no problems getting his money back). IIRC, several other people reported similar experiences; but I posted other links that were relatively positive.

If they are working well for you, I don't wonder that you keep buying them ... the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

I heard about a "bad batch" of something some while ago...no problem getting them replaced....I'm still happy with them, not a lemon....

CH47gunner
June 11, 2009, 02:09 AM
Thanks for your comments on my 10/22.

Now, the OP's scope question - Don't limit yourself to high end name brands.

I believe in owning multiple .22 rifles - the 10/22 is mostly a "Bench Queen" because after I was done with the Mods, she is too heavy & bulky to carry in the field. My favorite field .22 rifle is now a CZ452 Special w/ Simmons .22Mag 3-9x32. It's light, easily carried, & very accurate.

I built my 10/22 as a specific bench/target/sometimes plinking gun. It is NOT intended for a field/hunting gun. It's just too dang heavy for that.
That is why I decided on the high variable power/adjustable objective, that will focus down to 15 yds., scope that I chose. If it was strictly a bench gun, I would have chosen a fixed 36 power w/ AO. If it was meant for a hunting/plinking gun, I would have chosen a 3-9x32 rimfire scope because of the larger field of view & quicker sight picture.

Good luck,

Bruce

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
June 11, 2009, 09:22 AM
Well, ArmedBear, much as I hate to do it, I shall still have to disagree with you somewhat here.

In my view, a mid-quality scope (Nikon Buckmaster) set on 14 power will give you a much better pinpoint view of the precise spot you want to hit with your little .22 pill, than the best glass in the universe on 9 power, at both 50 and 100 yards, but particularly at 100. Magnification IS helpful to me in choosing precisely where I want to aim. For target shooting, and particularly for target shooting with a rimfire, there is no such thing as too much magnification unless and until you get (a) mirage, or (b) horrible clarity due to poor glass quality. You won't get those with a Nikon Buckmaster on 14 power. If the OP could go to $325, then he can snag a Falcon Menace with decent glass and really nice features in a 14x top end.

Mueller Eradicator, Weaver V16, and Swift Premier aren't bad ideas either for these criteria. Millett Buck Gold is not terrible either, but not as good IMO in this price range as Nikon BM, Falcon, Mueller, Weaver V16, and Swift Premier. Even the Bushnell Banner 6-18x50mm with AO is a pretty decent target scope for around $125.00, which I like about the same or better than Millett Buck Gold line, but you can get a little better than the Banner for $300.

The Burris Fullfield II, Bushnell Elite 3200, and Leupold VX1 are all good scopes, but "you can't get threre from here" pricewise with those lines, with the magnification the OP will undoubtedly want for this use. IMO.

I cannot comment on Hawke, Centerpoint, Intensity, or Vortex, as I have no experience, other than to say that Vortex seems to have an outstanding warranty with their scopes, and so that's reason enough to take a look at them.

lipadj46, did you read this:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=404162

particularly post #6 in that thread? :p Granted, you don't NEED that kind of eye relief for a rimfire, but why not get the better features when it's the same price? The parallax should be about what you want for a rimfire, since these are "made for" muzzeloaders.

DammitBoy
June 11, 2009, 11:35 AM
Again, thanks to everybody who provided helpful input.

I think I'm leaning towards the Millet 4-16x50 that Uncle Mike is talking about and I have found it at several places for right at $300 bucks or a dollar or two less.

I appreciate the posters who put some thought into what they posted, explaining why they proposed what they thought would work best - it helps with the learning curve about optics.

I've always been an iron sights and peephole kinda guy, but with my failing eyesight and this little project - it's obvious I'm going to have to expand my horizons.

benzy2
June 11, 2009, 12:34 PM
The fact you started at $300 is a big step above a lot of first time scope buyers. I fell into the trap when I started that I wanted budget and features ignoring quality. It took a few years of scope use before I even looked through something that cost more than $150, be it a 3-9 or a 6.5-20. Then I bought a non-China made scope and haven't looked back since. Getting out of that bargain basement $100 scope with $500 features sure will save you a lot of headaches and is a big step already. The $300 price point may not get you top of the line but it sure gets you out of bottom of the barrel.

mstirton
June 12, 2009, 01:29 AM
- he's not a first time scope buyer, just wants to know what's out there for not too much $. I have a FF2 3-9x40 on my 453 and it knocks the shotgun shells down at 50 yards without much trouble. Nikon Team Primo is excellent as well (on a larger caliber), but I think I might try out one of those Muellers with higher power on my next 22.

lipadj46
June 12, 2009, 09:19 AM
lipadj46, did you read this:

I did when you posted it and if what you care about is eye relief and a compact package then the Omega is great. Yet the Primos has the better turrets, tube, and optics. No you may not see the difference in the daytime without testing gear but get near dusk or dawn and you will see the differences. The fact is the Omega has the Prostaff/Buckmaster (can't remember which) glass and turrets and the Primos has the Monarch glass with the monarch UCC 3-9x erector set. The Primos eye relief is plenty generous for any HP rifle

kludge
June 12, 2009, 10:25 AM
I'm using a BSA Platinum Target with target dot a target turrets. Without looking I think it's a 6-24x44. I paid about $65 on a refurb, and had to return the first one, but the second one was good.

For under $300 I like Burris, but I don't know if the have a "target" scope in that range.

With the help of my Savage Mark II BV it shoots one hole groups at 50 yards.

TurboFC3S
June 12, 2009, 12:22 PM
I bought one of these a couple weeks ago from Primary Arms, 4.5-14x50. Illuminated mil-dot, 30mm tube, side focus. I bought it because I have one of their Aimpoint/5x magnifier combo's and am quite happy with it. This scope a screaming good deal at $120 ... and Marshall's customer service is amazing. Glass is clear, good range of eye relief and exit pupil too. The turrets are very solid feeling with nice audible and tactile clicks, illumination is good as well. I definitely recommend it.

http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc?categoryId=2&productId=17

ElToro
June 14, 2009, 02:41 AM
i have 3 .22 scoped rifles

i have a 10/22 with a leupold rifleman 3-9

I have a savage-anschuts sporter with a leupold compact 2-7

and a Kimber Hunter-silhoutee heavy barrell with a VXIII 4.5-14. high magnification lets you get right on top of that target but its a bench rest rig

get a good 3-9 on your 10-22. spend the rest on volquartsen goodies and a nice stock. i assuem this is a field gun, get a quality lightweight 3-9 or 2-7

If you enjoyed reading about "Best variable scope for under $300" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!