Help convince me I need an M1 Garand

PDA

Col. Plink
June 10, 2009, 04:35 PM
Once I heard of the Civilian Marksmanship Program selling surplus war-era M1 Garands for about 1/2 collector prices I realized how badly I wanted one. Trouble is, i don't know how useful it would be, and I already have a 30'06 (nothing special at all, but new, decent scope, recently sighted-in).

So I'm looking for justification to do what I want but don't need. I understand most are kept as-is, and used with open sights. How good is a Garand in this configuration for distance shooting/hunting (max reliable range? comfortable accuracy range?).

I want one, and may even have an accomplice for a road trip to Alabama over the 7/4 weekend to get one, but can I justify it? Help me justify my love for a kickass old rifle!

If you enjoyed reading about "Help convince me I need an M1 Garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
saturno_v
June 10, 2009, 04:41 PM
Help convince me I need an M1 Garand

If you are not a collector, you don't need it...save the money!!! :D:D

Don't forget that the Garand is finicky when it comes to ammo, so I dont'know how flexible is for hunting....and it is very heavy to log around for hours....

If you like the rifle and you want to put it in your safe for collecting purposes it's another story....but there are not real practical reason to buy a Garand...for hunting purposes in semi-auto 30-06 you can get a Remington 7400/750 or a Browning BAR new for less money, immensely more useful and practical for that purpose...

vanfunk
June 10, 2009, 04:51 PM
Justification? You don't need no stinkin' justification! It's the greatest battle implement ever devised, to quote just one man who knew a thing or two about warfare.

Just get one from the CMP already, alright? Do it. Do it. It's your national heritage. It's a symbol, writ in steel and wood, of our manifest destiny! It's the perennial trampler of the crabgrass of tyranny!

Blam-Blam-Blam-Blam-Blam-Blam-Blam-Blam-PING!!!

Do it.

vanfunk

Kevin5098
June 10, 2009, 04:51 PM
I think you either "get it" or you don't. I think that you "get it". As for me, I look at my newly acquired Garand as another way that I can be connected with the Greatest Generation (I also enjoy old radios from the period and listen to recordings of the old shows). The workmanship in this mass produced rifle is like nothing you'll find in today's plastic and stamped part weapons. I have fired the M16A1 many times while in the Army but never enjoyed it half as much as a day at the range with the Garand. I can't think of a single practical reason for owning and shooting the M1. It's mainly spiritual. I decided to get mine before the pickings get much slimmer. If you think you "get it", I'd advise you to do the same.

Kevin

gondorian
June 10, 2009, 04:52 PM
How many guns does anyone really NEED? They are fun, you can get relatively cheap ammo from the CMP for them, they have a lot of history, and you can get pointy things for the end. Accuracy is talked about in this (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=454639) thread. I don't think anybody really NEEDS one, but they do make nice booms :D

61chalk
June 10, 2009, 04:53 PM
No one can justify it for you, you will have to decide. Many are buying them, an many are not...I found out how readily available they were just this year, found out about CMP, found out about you could actually get one from WWII, that were being shipped back from the Greeks....my Dad an many of his friends were in WWII, I was in the military an enjoy shooting....I saw how affordable they were, an decided I wanted one.
I bought 2 Field Grades, bought new CMP wood for one, an I'm hitting a iron 9" triangle at 540 yds. with open sites about 2 out of 8 shots with one of those Garands that have a 1951 HRA barrel on a SA Oct. 1942 reciever with muzzle gage of 2, the other Garand has a 1.5 gage...I have fallin in Love with these Garands so much that my old AR15 is getting really mad....I now want to get another!!! The ammo isn't bad priced either, an reloading down the road should make them even more accurate, been shooting the Greek CMP ammo. They are rich in History, an I have rifles that may very well been used in combat for the Freedom we enjoy today...The Garand is just the REAL DEAL to me.
You can also check out my thread if you haven't seen it already about my Dads friend "Norm" an see one of these CMP Garands....

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=440481

Shung
June 10, 2009, 04:55 PM
What else do you need ?

http://i74.servimg.com/u/f74/11/94/71/06/garand10.jpg

TMM
June 10, 2009, 05:04 PM
an old-timer war vet who was into guns once told me, "The M1 is still the smoothest shooting rifle there is."

I'd believe him... unfortunately i haven't actually fired one yet.

TMM

benzy2
June 10, 2009, 05:04 PM
Don't buy one. I need to make another trip and pick up one or two more at least and the fewer others buy the more selection for me. As said you get it or you don't.

saturno_v
June 10, 2009, 05:14 PM
The difference between me and many M1 dreamers on this forum is that the M1 Garand was my actual service rifle.....so I know a thing or two about how great it really is and how it fares as service weapon....just an example, logging it around is one of my least favourite memories during my military service....

Vern Humphrey
June 10, 2009, 05:22 PM
If you don't have a Garand, you're not regular. Lack of a Garand can cause halitosis, male-pattern baldness, flat feet, impotency, psoriasis and hemorrhoids.

61chalk
June 10, 2009, 05:34 PM
Watch "Gran Torino" with Clint Eastwood.....then man up, an get one......if you don't like it, think its too heavy, hurt your thumb, kicks too hard, too loud, can't figure out how to field strip....then you can just "give" it to me, I'll take care of it....Nice post Vern Humphrey..cracked me up!!!!

rondog
June 10, 2009, 06:01 PM
If you don't have a Garand, you're not regular. Lack of a Garand can cause halitosis, male-pattern baldness, flat feet, impotency, psoriasis and hemorrhoids.

Vern is wise. I didn't get my M1 until I already had all these afflictions, and while an M1 might prevent them, it won't cure them! Get one now while you still have a chance!

Besides, every man needs one on the wall of his man-cave.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/DSCN2187.jpg

And ya gotta have something for the grandkids to shoot!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/200810051650002.jpg

Uncle Mike
June 10, 2009, 06:11 PM
[/QUOTE]Justification? You don't need no stinkin' justification! It's the greatest battle implement ever devised, to quote just one man who knew a thing or two about warfare.

Just get one from the CMP already, alright? Do it. Do it. It's your national heritage. It's a symbol, writ in steel and wood, of our manifest destiny! It's the perennial trampler of the crabgrass of tyranny!

Spot on.. no more too say!:D

Lack of a Garand can cause halitosis, male-pattern baldness, flat feet, impotency, psoriasis and hemorrhoids.

But I HAVE a Garand and..... this just aint right!:neener:

rino451
June 10, 2009, 07:16 PM
A friend of mine once said, "Everyone needs at least one gun that's been shot in anger."

usmc1371
June 10, 2009, 07:30 PM
You should be asking yourself "why wouldn't you need a grand?"

After reading Vern's post I am saving my money right now for one or maybe even two.

kimbernut
June 10, 2009, 07:43 PM
Watch "Saving Private Ryan" and the "Band of Brothers" series.
If you still need convincing you won't understand the need and you don't need one. I held off way too long on purchasing my Garand but then I had access to our club Garands which helped ease the pain until I could get my own.

alistaire
June 10, 2009, 07:49 PM
You need it.

Cannonball888
June 10, 2009, 08:24 PM
http://fataculture.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/gran-torino.jpg

Doug S
June 10, 2009, 10:05 PM
Besides, every man needs one on the wall of his man-cave.

Agreed! I also recommend getting one because it's a neat piece of history. Just make sure you order some ammo when you order the rifle, or you'll be sitting around like me waiting for the next gunshow, instead of at the range shooting your Garand. I've had the darn thing for over a month now, and still haven't got to shoot it. I don't know what's worse, not having a Garand, or having one that you can't shoot:o Thankfully, there is a show just around the corner.

Slicendice
June 10, 2009, 11:19 PM
Buy one maybe two -- I have two a 30.06 made in 45' and a 308 made in 42'. I know the 42' model was used in ceremonial services because of all the chrome on it :-- I just look at them and smile -- knowing they have been where I haven't and seen things I never will. :D:D

WoofersInc
June 11, 2009, 12:08 AM
Absolutely, positively. Every gun person should have a Garand. Stop thinking about it a get yours. The Garand is one of my favorite guns to shoot.

cchris
June 11, 2009, 12:12 AM
The capability of firing off 5 rounds in the time it takes to fire off 1 round with a 98k should be justification enough - probably a decently-large factor in winning the war. This is also coming from a Mauser owner who doesn't have an M1 Garand.

P.B.Walsh
June 11, 2009, 12:19 AM
I want one.

nathan
June 11, 2009, 12:24 AM
It looks mighty cool . You get an eyeful when you shoot it at the range.

DeepSouth
June 11, 2009, 12:29 AM
You work hard for your money, enjoy it.

Buy something you want, even if you don't need it.

zoom6zoom
June 11, 2009, 12:41 AM
"Ping!"

FLNT4EVR
June 11, 2009, 09:35 AM
Everyone should have a Garand.Just looking at it and holding it in your hands brings you to places where thousands of Americans,fought for the freedom we enjoy today.From the Beaches of Normandy to the jungles of Viet Nam,the Garand was there. Get one and shoot it. It is a shooting experience like no other.

Mtn395
June 11, 2009, 10:02 AM
You guys are killing me, I want one so bad but I can't afford one right now, I'm wanting a 50's model, cause thats what my grandpa carried during the Korean War.

1KPerDay
June 11, 2009, 10:23 AM
If you don't want one don't get one. Leaves more for me. :D

Uncle Mike
June 11, 2009, 10:31 AM
sounds like you are 'convinced' now!:D

longdayjake
June 11, 2009, 11:03 AM
Im of the opinion that if you have to ask if you need one then you don't deserve one. Owning a garand is not just something fun to do, but it is also a great responsibility. They have a spirit and personality. You have to feed them regularly, bathe them, and pet them as often as possible. They have been known to bite if you tickle their follower too much so be careful. And they like attention so be sure to get them out of the house and in the hands of as many people as you can. This world would be a much better place if people spent more times with their Garands.

gga357
June 11, 2009, 11:25 AM
Watch gran torino. A great battle rifle for a great price.

Col. Plink
June 11, 2009, 11:51 AM
Like I said, I already want one, just looking for some more 'justification ammunition'. I spent as little as I could to 'cover the bases' when buying new guns (pistol, rifle, shotgun, 22 pistol&carbine) so this would be my first splurge buy. Believe me, I'm a big fan of Band of Brothers etc., and have some real WWII memorabilia that my grandfather got off Guam (hollow Japanese grenade and some machine gun rounds in a stiff clip, various spent howitzer casings [5#'ers?]). A Garand would definitely round-out the display. My grandfather was not a combatant, however: Presbyterian chaplain with the Navy; other grandfather was Air Corps doctor on Ascension Island in the Atlantic, a stopover for many serious cases untreatable in the ETO (he traded for a P38 w/SS holster which was passed down to my uncle, just glad I got to shoot it a few times; don't want to know what it did in its previous life).

Still hoping to find out what reliable accuracy range is for the Garand 30'06, or is it something I should only expect to keep for looks abd shoot for enjoyment?

benzy2
June 11, 2009, 12:58 PM
Accuracy range depends on the rifle. If you find one with a great barrel and the rest is in good shape I would think 2 MOA would be doable. If you buy a rifle with a worn out barrel, a worn out stock, and a terrible trigger, well who knows. The issue here is that Garands come in two basic flavors. Those that went to war which are more the collector rifle, and those that didn't which tend to be in better shape but have less historical value. I went the shooter route. I found the rifle with the best metal and barrel. It gauged under 1 at the muzzle and under 1.5 at the throat. It shoots better than I can with irons. Off a bench I was getting 1-2" groups at 100 yards. I think the 1" groups would open up if I shot more rounds and consider them more luck but none of them ended outside the 2" range. This was surplus HXP ammo as well. I don't know what it would do if scoped using handloads it liked best. Maybe it has 1 MOA in it but I don't know and won't since its not going to get a scope and I'm not all that hot with irons, especially when I leave the bench.

My rifle has very little collector value though. Its made after WWII, its a bit of a mutt between SA and H&R, and the wood was the junk the greeks put on and has been swapped out for new CMP wood. Nothing to collect there but it is a heck of a shooter and it looks hardly used.

On the other side you could go for a rifle that is correct and old enough to have gone through WWII. These tend to be in worse shape and tend to not shoot as well. There are exceptions and the special grades that the CMP has are a good example of these exceptions. Still you tend to either buy one as a collector and don't worry how it shoots or you buy one as a shooter and don't worry about its value.

There are certainly shooters out there. There are certainly dogs out there. You just have to check the condition and pick what looks best. If you can't make it out to the CMP don't worry. Their mail order seems to be of even better quality than their store stuff. It is VERY rare to hear someone complain about the quality of what came in the mail from the CMP. You won't get a rifle that is completely correct (unless you ordered a correct grade) but like I said nobody is upset with what shows up.

Honestly these and the carbines the CMP sells are the best deals in all of firearms right now. These rifles won't last forever and these prices won't either. Supply is limited and it seems as if things are starting to dry up. What they thought was a long term ammo supply has drastically shrank and now there are limits on how much you can buy. I wouldn't doubt if before too long the rifles themselves start to dry up. $495 gets you a heck of a rifle and if you can't see them in person $595 gets you one that will have good wood as well, though it may be good issued wood or good replacement wood. Not much else out there today that is this much fun with this much history that will run you $500-$600.

Look at how many people talk about the good old days when rifles and ammo were inexpensive. This is one of those situations we all look back on and realize what a deal we had in front of us and wish for all the time. Don't let it slip away like so many of us have let other great deals slip away because we didn't realize how great we had it.

Vern Humphrey
June 11, 2009, 01:03 PM
The Garand, like almost all US weapons, saw hard use. My H&R, which was built after the Korean war was over, has been rebuilt.

minutemen1776
June 11, 2009, 01:25 PM
It's mainly spiritual.

That hits it pretty close for me. You see, I love guns, but I really love their history. And, when studying history there's really nothing that compares to the feeling you get when a person, place, or object of history seems to transport you into the past. I call it a "history high." I felt it at Manassas when I stood in the edge of the woods where Stonewall Jackson earned his nickname. I got goosebumps when I stood at the upstairs bedroom of the Lee House in Arlington where Robert E. Lee contemplated all night as to whether he would remain loyal to the Union or his home state of Virginia. I felt it again as I rambled below the decks of a World War II battleship that earned several battle stars in the Pacific. I can get the same feeling listening to a war veteran give his firsthand account of his experiences. And (germane to the present topic) I get this same experience whenever I use a genuine World War II rifle, including the Garand. In fact, what started with a Garand has expanded to several wartime rifles from a variety of countries. They are all authentic, if not perfect. I enjoy these rifles more than any other firearm. I derive great joy from shooting these old warhorses, so much so that I hardly even care how accurate they are. It is, for me, about the experience, and the Garand will definitely do that for you, if you're into that kind of thing. :)

DKeener
June 11, 2009, 01:32 PM
Justification? You don't need no "Justification". Exercise your right as an American citizen and get one. Where else in the world will the government sell you a weapon right out of its inventory? Brave men fought and died so you would be able to exercise your rights. Honor them by getting a Garand and displaying and shooting it proudly.

There's nothing like watching "Band of Brothers" or "The Longest Day" while lovingly rubbing boiled linseed oil into a Garand stock. It literally makes history come alive.

While you're at it get three so you can put the stacking swivels to good use.

Onmilo
June 11, 2009, 01:37 PM
With a screen name like Col. Plink, I can't believe you don't have an M1 yet!
If you would list a location showing you as a US citizen, I would have to drive over there and slap you for even asking why you need a Garand!

Is this reason enough to go get yourself one?:D

LibShooter
June 11, 2009, 01:40 PM
How to determine if you need an M1 Garand: (Or any other firearm)

1. Do I want it?

2. Can I pay the rent and feed the kids if i buy it?

If you answered yes to both questions, you need the M1. Buy it.

crebralfix
June 11, 2009, 01:52 PM
Justification? For a GARAND????

What kind of commie are you!?!?!?

Just kidding...just get one. You'll love it!!

Col. Plink
June 11, 2009, 02:36 PM
I knew I could count on you guys...:)

Now I just need a little guidance on the 'grades' available. The CMP website doesn't go into a lot of specifics. I saw 'rack grade', 'field grade', that's about it but a post above talks about grades for shooter-quality Garands and that's definitely what I want. It's make and history, even if it didn't serve in the field, are enough for me but I certainly can't justify buying a $500 rifle that is not a proficient shooter.

So, what are the grades, ages, etc. that CMP uses about?

Also, since I will NEVER sell one if I get it, is scoping it a good idea for accurate use? It's value to me won't be diminished and I won't be trying to get money for it later, just want to optimize its capabilities. Thanks!

Harve Curry
June 11, 2009, 03:00 PM
I took mine out in remembrance of D-Day. I placed a tomato can at 100 yards, held 6'Oclock and drilled it through the center. I introduced an 11yr old that came with me and let him shoot the rest up and hear the "ping".
I think I would like to get the adjustable gas port made by Schuster(spl?) as soon as money allows.

Onmilo
June 11, 2009, 03:02 PM
My recommendation to anyone considering a CMP M1 Garand who wants a rifle that will shoot sccurately and not require a lot of fiddling around to get it up and running is to choose the standard service grade rifle.

Rack and field grade rifles can have some decent parts but the vast majority will require the installation of a new barrel at some point, sooner than later.

Collector Grades and all correct grades normally go to guys who are more interested in collecting and especially collecting with an eye on future value escalations.
These guns are normally kept as safe queens and owned by people with more interested in the monetary value of the item than actually shooting the rifle.JMHO

rondog
June 11, 2009, 03:10 PM
Also, since I will NEVER sell one if I get it, is scoping it a good idea for accurate use?

Good question, I'm thinking of that myself. I like to see what I'm shooting at, and have a reasonable chance of hitting it. And my eyesight flat sucks.

61chalk
June 11, 2009, 03:13 PM
When you go to CMP store ask someone that works there what you want, a good shooter first...they will try there best to find it for you. However there seems to be no Service grades in the stores lately, only Field grades, but some of these are good shooters....Also, they now have Special Grade, for 995.00...These things have been all redone, Refinished metal, New wood, New Barrel....these things look sweet...As I said earlier, my Field grade is hitting a steel 9" triangle at 540 yds with Greek ammo, scoping them also makes for better accuracy, as it does for most rifles for longer distance...check out the CMP website an click to forums...vast amount of info. an what the closest store has in stock from week to week by people who visit an post....an Don't forget to post a picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

krs
June 11, 2009, 05:20 PM
Convince you?

I can't help you........and I don't think I want to know you either.

Col. Plink
June 11, 2009, 05:51 PM
To reiterate, I don't really need to be convinced; just need enough info on whether a 'shooter' grade Garand can be had for reasonable money and how well they actually do so. I already have a 30-06 and can only afford a Garand if I sell the old one, and I don't want to sacrifice accuracy for a higher price at the same time. Sounds like accuracy may be something of a crapshoot given the lack of "Service Grade" Garands at the CMP right now, am I right?

krs, that one on the bottom is freakin gorgeous! Any of the ones pictured from the CMP?

Ah, choices!

benzy2
June 11, 2009, 06:11 PM
I went into the CMP north store, found the garand with the best metal and barrel and it cost me $495. I didn't like the wood so I bought the CMP wood kit as well which pushed me a little over $600. The wood was purely aesthetics. The old wood fit well, just wasn't that pretty. If you can go in and check them out you should be able to find a heck of a shooter. If you can't I would order a service grade. You get a guarantee of a little bit better metal finish, a bit less barrel wear, and a decent stock. Most all service grades will shoot well, with the right ammo and a good scope/mount I would suspect as good as a lot of us can shoot. The field grades are a little more hit and miss. Many had nicer wood but worse metal. Since I didn't care about the wood I just went for the best metal out of all the rifles in the service and field grades. If I were to order sight unseen I would go service grade for the extra reassurance that the rifle will shoot and look good. You certainly can get, and most likely will get, a shooter for $500-$600, especially if you end up scoping it. The CMP sells a good scope mount as well that requires no drilling or permanent modifications to the rifle. With that and a decent scope I would have to think you would end up happy with the results. I know I am ecstatic with mine using irons and HXP surplus ammo.

Col. Plink
June 11, 2009, 06:24 PM
THAT'S what I'm talkin about, Benzy, thank you!

I'll send some pics after the 4th of July when I have my new patriot stick!

woodsoup
June 11, 2009, 06:25 PM
:cuss:If you need convincing. you don't want one.:)

Babarsac
June 11, 2009, 06:45 PM
I'm in the same boat. But getting a Garand would mean selling the Mosins to fund it and the ammo. Decisions decisions...

P.B.Walsh
June 11, 2009, 07:30 PM
Have you seen Gran Torino???? That'll make you want one really bad, and a true M1911A1!!!!!!:)

BTW Clint Eastwood is a total BADA$$ in that movie!!!!!

krs
June 11, 2009, 08:28 PM
Col Plink,

"Any of the ones pictured from the CMP?"

ALL of those are from CMP, and so are three more not shown there. I have just one that didn't come from CMP but did come from the predessessor DCM and is 1943 correct in all ways including the uncut oprod.

Not to say that those rifles are shown in the condition or the configuration as received from CMP - I've rebarreled four of them, two are 7.62x51 (.308 win) including the restocked pretty boy that you remark upon. That one is restocked with a nice grade of walnut bought from Boyd's and finished by me. It embarrasses me being so pretty and so I never go out with it. You can buy it if you want for oh, about $xxxx.xx. (I don't know) I guess. It should shoot very well as I've match chambered it and done all the usual accurizing tricks to the rifle. Lot of work and money in that one and I don't like it much once I was done with it. Weird, huh? :)

Nautilus
June 11, 2009, 08:55 PM
If your a red blooded American male... you already have all the justification you need.

Ignition Override
June 12, 2009, 02:35 AM
If you ever stand in the fox holes and skirmish/battle areas of the 101st outside Bastogne, Belgium (as we did recently, on a superb personal tour), you would probably understand.
"Reg Jaans" is somewhere on Youtube (also via Internet "Battlebus" links).

A few weeks ago watched a single tracer round from a Garand start a small fire in dry brush 300 yards away at the Evansville club range, and quickly extinguished.
That was c o o l, as I've never been anywhere near combat, except orbiting over the El Salvador woods in '82.

For me, if money were no object, I would drive to Anniston, AL to order one.

krs
June 12, 2009, 07:39 AM
If you ever stand in the fox holes and skirmish/battle areas of the 101st outside Bastogne, Belgium (as we did recently, on a superb personal tour), you would probably understand.
"Reg Jaans" is somewhere on Youtube (also via Internet "Battlebus" links).

Exactly that. Each rifle is an historical artifact in it's own right. Today that is perhaps the more important justification for owning and preserving the rifles than to have a "good shooter". Every one of them is a good shooter so long as it will fire.

cchris
June 12, 2009, 01:04 PM
Selling a collection of Mosins to afford a Garand is like selling a collection of classic Mustangs to afford a McClaren. You're getting rid of a bunch of unique guns to afford another unique gun, and you still might not have the money in the end.

Mosins don't sell for much, and Garands sell for a decent amount. If you can get a good couple hundred for each Mosin and you've got 5, then sure, sell off a few and get a Garand. And that's assuming there's nothing unique about each one, that they're all just the same as the next.

Deckard
June 12, 2009, 02:27 PM
If you're an American you need one. The Garand is as much a symbol and piece of our national heritage as it is a great rifle. It's one of those things that will be handed down from your children to you children's children and help keep the American firearms tradition alive. And I can safely say that the Garand is the one rifle I'd never part with and would feel comfortable with from hunting to when the SHTF.

Tim the student
June 12, 2009, 03:38 PM
They helped win WWII, they are fun to shoot, and if you want one in 15 years, you will pay WAY more than the inflation rate (IMO). Relatively cheap to shoot with CMP ammo too. Why would you possibly not want one?

All other guns are cool but the Garand is the godfather of cool guns.

Read this thread: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=456010 Someday the thread will be about Garands. I hope I can find a way to get a couple more sooner vs later.

dscottw88
June 12, 2009, 03:45 PM
At a young age I grew to admire and love the Garand for all that it is. Against the advice of my brother I went ahead and ordered one and got a August '44 Receiver at the age of twenty. Probably one of the best purchases I've ever made. and for $600, you can't go wrong.

Vern Humphrey
June 12, 2009, 05:27 PM
Mine, from CMP, cost $160.00, including shipping. Check the current price and ask yourself if you're ever going to find them any cheaper than they are today.

Archie
June 12, 2009, 06:45 PM
Do you have one?

If "no", you should buy one.

This ain't rocket science, brother.

MythBuster
June 12, 2009, 06:53 PM
To me the Garand stand for freedom. Liberals hate both Garands and freedom.

That is a good enough reason to buy one.

krs
June 12, 2009, 07:55 PM
How is it hard to figure out?

Two more of my Garands - the postwar H and R's, and for those who don't know - Mr. John C. Garand hisself. The other guy you might know of....

John Garand was Canada's loss and our gain. The fools up there didn't recognize his genius so he came south to find work designing firearms.

eqfan592
June 12, 2009, 08:50 PM
"Liberals hate both Garands and freedom."

Wrong. Liberal right here who loves both Garands AND freedom :D

I've had my Garand since my 21's birthday (dad got it for me as a gift). It's one of the SA remakes, so he spent way too much on it more than likely. But that was before either of us knew about the CMP.

Still, I love my Garand, and I hope to get a CMP Garand in the not too distant future to give it a brother :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Help convince me I need an M1 Garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!