Winchester 94

PDA

Taffnevy
June 11, 2009, 09:01 AM
I just picked up a 1981 Winchester 94. I know nothing about them, so to me right now no question is a stupid question!

I think the "safety" might be broken on it. With the hammer cocked and the lever open I can pull the trigger and the hammer drops. Is this normal?

Who could I send it to to give it a "once over" and check for mechanical soundness? Should I just send it in to Winchester Service & Repair, or should I send it to a smith?

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester 94" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SaxonPig
June 11, 2009, 10:06 AM
Well, why do you pull the trigger with the action open? How far "open" are we talking? It seems to me that when the lever is drawn downward the bolt moves to the rear and pushes the hammer back. How can the hammer fall when the bolt is pushing it back? It maybe sounds to me like you are manipulating the gun in an unnatural way causing things to happen that really aren't a problem during normal operation. Also, just because the hammer falls that doesn't necessarily mean the safety is failing. Maybe the safety is a hammer block that prevents the firing pin from being struck by the hammer rather than keeping the hammer from falling at all.

Make sure the rifle is unloaded, then cock the hammer. Slap the side of the action with your open palm. If the hammer slips then something is wrong. If it doesn't, then rap the butt on the floor semi-sharply. If the hammer still doesn't fall then I doubt there is a problem.

Taffnevy
June 11, 2009, 10:22 AM
I mean the lever is just slightly open, not touching that little nub. What is that little nub?

Vern Humphrey
June 11, 2009, 10:24 AM
The M94 has a two-piece firing pin. One piece is in the locking block, the other in the bolt. Opening the lever moves the two parts out of alignment, and the gun cannot fire, even if the hammer is dropped.

rcmodel
June 11, 2009, 01:11 PM
You DO have a safety problem with your rifle.

You shouldn't be able to pull the trigger unless the trigger stop lever "nub" is depressed by the lever being fully closed to compress it and release the trigger.

See part #159.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/schematics/schemmfg.aspx?schemid=352&m=17&mn=Winchester%c2%ae&model=94+Angle+Eject-+S%2fN+Below+6%2c000%2c000+

I would take the tang screw out and remove the stock.
From there you can see the trigger safety lever & spring and diagnose the problem.

At any rate, it needs to be fixed.

rc

Taffnevy
June 11, 2009, 08:16 PM
rcmodel,

Thanks, that's what I suspected but I wasn't sure.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester 94" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!