handgun trades

PDA

RM
January 18, 2003, 05:16 AM
What is involved in making a handgun trade with someone, in terms of expenses and paperwork? I'm wondering whether trading a gun is any easier overall than selling one gun and then buying another. Thanks for any advice.

If you enjoyed reading about "handgun trades" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sisco
January 18, 2003, 07:28 AM
I don't know how they do it where you're from, but around here we just trade. If there's money involved, I prefer cash.
Only paperwork involved is my own records where I record the serial number of the new gun and note who and on what date I sold the old one to.

Hkmp5sd
January 18, 2003, 07:38 AM
You need to check your state laws. If private firearms sales are allowed, no problem.

ATF Online - Publication 5300.5 State Laws and Published Ordinances - Firearms (http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/statelaws/22edition.htm)

dairycreek
January 18, 2003, 02:23 PM
Keep records that indicate the gun, date of sale, its make, its serial number, etc. Also, name, address, and phone number of the buyer/seller if you can get it. It is just to protect you should you need it. I've been doing this (mostly with friends) for years and no problems - yet. Good shooting:)

Pendragon
January 20, 2003, 04:08 AM
MANY States require you to go through a dealer.

If you live in California:

1. You and the other person go to the dealer with the (unloaded) guns.

2. You will be required to get your Handgun Safety Card (HSC) - $25 I think. (you take a test)

3. You will pay around $25-$40 (each) for the paperwork

4. The dealer will hold both guns for 10 days.

5. As long as your background check goes good, you can pickup the gun you got in trade in 10 days.

When you pick up:

6. You will have to give a thumbprint.

7. You will have to perform a "safe gun handling demonstration" in front of the dealer - showing that you can safely load and unload your new gun.

8. You will need proof that you are a CA resident. Drivers License does not count. Lease, Deed, Utility Bill, etc.

9. You will need to buy a locking device of some kind - the cable locks are $5 at Wal Mart - you will have to install and remove it as part of the demonstration mentioned above.

10. You will have to put your gun in a locked container before you can leave the store.

See :) Easy as pie.

trapshooter
January 20, 2003, 06:08 AM
private sales/trades are ok, but the buyer(s) still need to get a permit to buy for each weapon from the local sheriff (ten bucks a pop, in my county, if not statewide). Out of state deals for handguns have to go through a dealer, the out of state buyer has to follow his own state law, no MO ptb required, but federal laws still obviously apply. The in-state (MO) buyer is going to still have to get the ptb for the gun on his end, even though it's through an FFL, and he/she will get NIC'ed also. May be stupid, but that's the kind of ignorant stuff we deal with, here.

RustyHammer
January 20, 2003, 12:47 PM
What State?

If you enjoyed reading about "handgun trades" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!