AK74 Options

PDA

bratch
June 11, 2009, 03:23 PM
I'm thinking about picking up a '74 and a bunch of ammo for cheap shooting/training. These are the ones I'm considering but my options are still open.

1. Century Tantal: Probably the lowest on the list due to non-chrome lined barrel and key holeing reports. It is the cheapest.

2. Bulgarian side folder: I like the looks of the triangle fold but it is the priciest.

3. Bulgarian fixed stock: Looks nice but not sure if I want a fixed stock.

4. Interarms Tantal: Uses original Polish barrel decent price, not as sure about the wire folder.

Thoughts comments on these four? Any that I've left off.

If you enjoyed reading about "AK74 Options" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
June 12, 2009, 08:04 AM
I built a Bulgarian AKS-74 last year (that's the triangle folding stock version) and love it. I've shot fixed stock models and loved them, too.

I don't personally care for the Tantals at all, and wouldn't consider them, unless they were cheap alternatives like they used to be.

JMHO.

-Sam

Moose458
June 12, 2009, 11:49 AM
I have the Interarms Tantal, and really like it. I wrapped the stock with para cord and it works fine. Locks up tight and gives a good cheek rest. Depending on price difference and what is important to you, you wont go wrong with a Tantal. If Century has corrected the barrel issue, they will be GTG. Chrome lined barrels are not that important unless you have a full auto.

HorseSoldier
June 13, 2009, 12:27 AM
I don't personally care for the Tantals at all, and wouldn't consider them, unless they were cheap alternatives like they used to be.

I think they're pretty nice when done right.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j132/jboschma/IMG_20070512_0001.jpg?t=1244863429

rojocorsa
June 13, 2009, 02:54 AM
Quick question: Can Russian semi auto from Izhevsk be imported into the US?

HorseSoldier
June 13, 2009, 03:22 AM
Russian arms can only be legally imported to the US if they've been sporterized, hence the Saigas (some special deal the Clinton administration set up, if I recall correctly, to either keep evil black rifles off the streets or protect American gun manufacturers from cheap competition, depending on who you listen to). I don't think Saiga ever did a 5.45 version, though.

nalioth
June 13, 2009, 12:21 PM
Quick question: Can Russian semi auto from Izhevsk be imported into the US?
Quick answer: Yes. They carry the "Saiga" brand.

I don't think Saiga ever did a 5.45 version, though.
According to RAAC, 5.45x39 Saigas are in the import process now. Supposed to go on sale any time now.

rojocorsa
June 13, 2009, 01:42 PM
Thanks for answering, I knew about the Saigas, but my question was meant for the Kalashnikov-pattern semi-autos. Frankly, they should be available. IMHO.

nalioth
June 13, 2009, 03:51 PM
I knew about the Saigas, but my question was meant for the Kalashnikov-pattern semi-autosDid you say "kalashnikov pattern semi-autos"?

45 minutes with a Saiga and you've got something like this:
http://www.novarata.net/abrams/saiga556/1024/saiga556_1246.JPG

A day in the shop (and a trip to get refinished) will get you this:
http://www.novarata.net/abrams/20nch-saiga_1207.JPG

You should not overlook the Saiga. Because it's obviously not a "kalashnikov pattern semi-auto", it's a lot cheaper to purchase.

Putting it back "right" isn't much of a chore at all.

If you enjoyed reading about "AK74 Options" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!