What is the best 22 cal. pistol on the market in terms of fit and finish, reliablity?

PDA

parabellum9x19
January 18, 2003, 05:40 AM
What is the best 22 cal. pistol on the market in terms of fit and finish, reliablity, accuracy?

I'll use it only for target practice. I have other pistols in larger calibers and assualt rifles for HD.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the best 22 cal. pistol on the market in terms of fit and finish, reliablity?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Arub
January 18, 2003, 08:39 AM
I don't know if there is a "best", probably several of them depending on experiences and personal preferences.

The Ruger Mark IIs hang in there, several models to choose from depending on personal preference. Stainless, blue, various barrel lengths, bull/standard/slab side barrels, two grip options (standard and .45style), fixed and excellent adjustable sights......

If there is a down side to the Rugers it's the reassembly. The first time or two you may teach the kids a few new words but it gets to be a piece of cake with experience. I have also had the displeasure of take down and reassemby with a Buckmark. It's somewhat on the unfriendly side the first time or two also, but otherwise, it's a pretty fine pistol and you find a few different options available.

It's a tough choice. Let us know what you settle on.

rugerfreak
January 18, 2003, 08:51 AM
I would have to agree with the MKII------or the 22/45 if on a budget.

Sprout
January 18, 2003, 10:47 AM
If you already have a CZ 75 /85, let me reccommend the Kadet kit; it is amazingly cool: accurate, durable, reliable. If you don't have a CZ, may I suggest a .22 conversion for a centerfire that you do have. It's really nice to be able to practice with a carry / home-defense gun at .22 prices.

10-Ring
January 18, 2003, 11:30 AM
I'm having a tough time justifying another 22 pistol since my Mk II is serving my son & me so well. Accurate, reliable, pain in the butt to field strip & fun to shoot...what more can you ask for?

Marshall
January 18, 2003, 12:08 PM
I have Browning Buck Mark Bullseye I really love!

jar
January 18, 2003, 12:14 PM
Gotta go with the Smith M-41 in a semi and the K-22 in a revolver. Short of a full competion rig, best you can find.

MoNsTeR
January 18, 2003, 12:35 PM
I have a SIG Trailside Competition and a Ruger MkII Competition (ironically, I don't compete with them! :D). Each has their charm, but if I could only keep one it would be the Trailside.

Graystar
January 18, 2003, 12:42 PM
That absolute best is Hammerli. Larry's Guns has them.

http://www.larrysguns.com/

I have a Smith & Wesson M41 and it is one of the best. The trigger is much better than my Ruger Mark II Competition, even though my Ruger has all the Volquartsen upgrades.

There's a 5" an 7" barrel. both version weigh the same. The 7" barrel has been trimmed to reduce weight.

Get a 7" M41, have it cut down to 5" (by Lou Lombardi http://www.falconmachining.com/) and then put an UltraDot red-dot sight on it and you will have a very well balanced and accurate .22.

HSMITH
January 18, 2003, 12:54 PM
Best for the money is the Browning Buckmark IMO, when you get into the really high end stuff I am out of touch. You are gonna spend a LOT of money to outshoot or be more reliable than the Buckmark. Mine has more ammo through it than most of you would believe and has NEVER even hiccuped with decent ammo. I usually shoot it until it is so dirty that you cannot handle it without turning you hands black before cleaning too, it just never misses a beat.

Peter M. Eick
January 18, 2003, 02:45 PM
The best I ever shot was Hammerli and Walther free pistols for precision target shooting. For just hitting a target, little could compete with them.

Kentucky Rifle
January 18, 2003, 02:52 PM
But I really like my Walther P22. It's inexpensive, reliable, (at least mine is) and the accuracy has WAYYYY exceeded my expectations. (And mine is the short barrel version!)

KR

Wildalaska
January 18, 2003, 03:53 PM
Gotta go with the Smith M-41 in a semi and the K-22 in a revolver. Short of a full competion rig, best you can find.

Excellent choices and I hearitly join them.

Wildmyfirst22wasaS&WK22Alaska

Jeff OTMG
January 18, 2003, 04:09 PM
I am with Peter. Since we are in the general handgun forum and are looking at fit, finish, and reliability, toss accuracy in as well, I don't have to limit myself to an auto or revolver. The Hammerli and Walther single shot free pistols are hard to beat. The Walther I saw even had an electronic trigger. The pistols are worn, not held, and the trigger was at an angle so your finger would hit it square as it move toward the gun. The workmanship was unbelievable.

Believe me, when you talk about 'the best', stamped out sheet metal Ruger's and injection molded plastic don't even come into play when discussing fit or finish.

Standing Wolf
January 18, 2003, 06:32 PM
I swear by High Standards; unfortunately, they haven't been made since 1984, and buying used High Standards requires a fair amount of knowledge.

I'm still thinking about a Volquartsen remade Ruger .22.

JohnBT
January 18, 2003, 06:44 PM
Fit, finish and reliability? One of these should do :)

www.korthusa.com/rev_models_en.htm

John

Chuck Dye
January 18, 2003, 06:49 PM
Anschutz Exemplar:neener: :neener: :neener:

Shmackey
January 18, 2003, 07:18 PM
Hammerli, plain and simple. Costs about 5 Rugers, but hey.

ACP
January 18, 2003, 08:09 PM
FWIW, after getting my S&W Model 41 back from the factory for the third time for a failure to fire problem (gun purchased BRAND NEW) I sold it. Never had a problem with the .22 S&W revolver (Model 22? 4" stainless, 6-shot) that I had.

Traveler
January 18, 2003, 09:01 PM
Hammerli.

MacPelto
January 18, 2003, 10:42 PM
The Walthers and Hammerlis are definitely tops, but the biggest bang for the buck comes from the Russian made Izhmash pistols, which usually cost less than a third of the others. Several have been purchased by members and coaches at my club (University of TX), and everyone has been quite impressed. They're kinda ugly, but functionally quite nice. Champion's Choice can usually ship them to your local store right away.

Shmackey
January 18, 2003, 11:22 PM
Yeah, those Baikal IZH-35M pistols are great, but they don't win out in terms of fit and finish. Actually, Walther takes that pistol and makes their KSP (or something) by tweaking it a little.

Ala Dan
January 19, 2003, 12:51 AM
Greeting's Again Folk's-

I guess my own personal choices would be the
following .22 caliber handgun's:

A.Revolver's

1. Smith & Wesson model 18 "Combat Masterpiece"
2. Colt Diamondback

B. Self-Loader's

1. Colt Match Target Woodsman
2. Smith & Wesson model 41
3. Ruger MK-II KMK-512

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

sm
January 19, 2003, 02:18 AM
Ala Dan is the only other person whom ever mentions the model 18 smith--that feller smart;)

Revo's : model 18 ( favorite)
model 617

Semi: Model 41
Ruger MkII
Colt Woodsman
High Standard ( target name escapes me)

denfoote
January 19, 2003, 03:17 AM
Well, let's see.
Hmmmmmm, I have three Ruger 22's. A P512, P4, and a MK-II. What do you think I'm gunna recommend???? :evil: :neener:

Master Blaster
January 19, 2003, 04:46 AM
For under $800 as serious target pistol with really good fit and finish.

S&W model 41 I know about 50 regular bullseye pistol competitiors that use them.
Ruger KMK 512 is a good plinker I like mine.

Over $1500 Hammerli and walther target pistols.

The Baikal IZH is an olympic grade pistol for under $500 but is lacking in the beauty department.

Kahr carrier
January 19, 2003, 07:06 AM
MK-2.

popeye
January 19, 2003, 09:55 AM
I've got a Browning "Field" model (5.5 HB, adj. sights and integral scope rail). Also a HB S&W 41, and a S&W 17. I like em all, but the I shoot the 41 the best.

Shmackey
January 19, 2003, 12:02 PM
The question was which is the *best* in terms of fit, finish, and reliability. I had a Ruger Comp. Slabside, and it was very good, but it is not in the same room as "the best." Neither is any Buckmark (which I also like). The baseline answer is a Hammerli 208 and then you can branch out to Morini, Walther, the new Hammerli, and the other Euroguns. Bring $1500 and a steady hand.

Dave Markowitz
January 19, 2003, 08:03 PM
Ala Dan is the only other person whom ever mentions the model 18 smith--that feller smart

Hey, I have one, too. I love mine (as well as my Micro Buckmark and my Old Model Single Six). :cool:

V-fib
January 20, 2003, 12:49 AM
S&W 422 6"bbl accurate,reliable,easy to clean and dang fun to shoot.

:cool:

curt
January 20, 2003, 01:25 PM
HSSMITH,
I agree with most of your assesssment of the buckmark. Mine is very accurate, fits my hand like a glove and it's purty too! However the experience i've had as well as a couple of other who shoot buckmarks at my range is that it tends to get unreliable after it gets dirty it starts FTFing. Is there anything you've done or speacial lube you're using. I don't like having to clean my .22s after every shoot.

Chris Rhines
January 20, 2003, 01:44 PM
For best accuracy for the money, the IZH-35 really can't be beat. My club will likely be buying a few in the near future to replace our Rugers and Buckmarks. It ain't pretty, but it shoots like pistols three times as expensive.

The Smith & Wesson Model 41 is pretty, but IMO it's not worth the asking price. $800+ for no adjustable trigger, substandard sights, and so-so balance? Nah.

If you have the money and the desire for a top-end euro target pistol, I really like my Pardini SP.

- Chris

twoblink
January 21, 2003, 11:06 AM
http://www.feinwerkbau.de/

Feinwerkbau; said to be one of the smoothest machines made on the face of the earth..

Shot my friend's, same hole, for all who shot it...

I'd put it above a Hammerli...

I have a Ruger 22/45, reliable, easy to shoot, accurate. It doesn't give me warm fuzzies though..

That's my "take the girls out to shoot" gun; no recoil. The controls are where you'd expect them to be unlike the MkII's, (mag release is on the bottom) I want to teach controls to new shooters, and so I didn't want a MKII.

Buckmark is a good one as well.

I would have bought a Trailside, but they are not PRK approved.. :fire: :banghead:

twoblink
January 21, 2003, 11:09 AM
BTW,

Feinwerkbau's are the choice of the champions... I believe that almost every year, the competition shooting championships are won by people shooting Feinwerkbau's, and not Hammerli's...

RCL
January 21, 2003, 11:17 AM
For a pistol, the new Sig looks pretty nice.
For a revolver, you can't beat the Freedom Arms.

Chris Rhines
January 21, 2003, 11:45 AM
Twoblink - The Feinwerkbrau AW93 is a work of art, but it's a really new gun and there's not much street-level feedback yet. If it's as good as their air pistols, then it'll be something to see.

As for the ISSF pistol competitors, by far the most common ISU Standard Pistol I've seen is the good old Walther GSP. Hammerlis and Pardinis make an occasional appearence as well, along with a handful of real exotics (Morinis, Uniques, FAS, etc.) In Air Pistol, Feinwerkbrau dominates, although Steyr has a healthy slice of that market. Free Pistol is ruled by the Russian Toz35, which has taken more podium slots than any other free pistol in the past twenty years.

If you're going to drop the coin on a euro-style target pistol, really any of the big names will give you your money's worth.

- Chris

YodaVader
January 21, 2003, 04:00 PM
I have the Ruger MKII and for the price paid I feel it is hard to beat. Accuracy is excellent. Trigger was done by Clark Custom Guns - out the box the trigger is not very well suited for competition style shooting - that is , one -handed shooting.

Also have the S&W 41. Very good out of the box pistol. Pretty good trigger. Easy barrel changes. Easy takedown. Again , excellent accuracy.

For the higher end competition 22's. A friend of mine used a Pardini to win the Camp Perry 22 Pistol Championship a few years back. So , I would say the pistol is quite a good one. He now has added the Hammerli to his collection.

Slow
January 24, 2003, 12:49 AM
Ruger MKII with CCI higher end stuff....not Blazers

Kahr carrier
January 24, 2003, 07:40 AM
MK-2.:cool:

searcher
January 24, 2003, 08:11 AM
None better than the Smith M41. I've had one for 7 years. Excellent accuracy and fit and finish are a notch above all the others.

Frenchy
January 24, 2003, 06:39 PM
I'm a Wheelgunner, so I'll got with my Pre-17 K22 Masterpiece. A lot more accurate than I am!

Soap
January 24, 2003, 09:13 PM
The Mk IIs, Buckmarks, S&W 41s, etc. just simply cannot cut it when compared to a top end target pistol like a Hammerli, Walther, or Pardini. My favorite so far has been the Pardini SP.

makarov
September 28, 2003, 01:48 AM
I have an old Browning Medalist (1962 vintage) if you can find one at a reasonable price they are beautiful guns.

Also reccommend the Smith and Wesson K-22 ( Model 17) I recently bought a 17-4 and am pretty happy with it.

Have a Ruger Slabsides too. It is nice, but not as nice as those listed above.

Next purchase will be the IZH-35m. They are fugly, but accurate as can be. Beauty is as beauty does...

- Makarov.

P.S. I will eventually get a Kadet kit for my CZ-85. You can never have too many .22's....

hksw
September 28, 2003, 10:01 AM
IMO, the build quality of the MkIIs and Buckmarks are pretty good for guns under$400, at least from what I've seen from my samples. Certainly my 10" MkII doesn't look as nice as a Bullseye Target (rosewood) but its fit and finish seems to be as good (before the takedown lever slot gets dinged up with a screwdriver).

Only problem I've had (after break in) was with a Buckmark Standard. Top rib came loose causing misfires as the bolt/slide was misaligned with the breach. Bent in some of the teeth of the crown shaped washers ans loctited to bolts and no more problems.

The Hämmerlis are nice.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid80/p192027e2f5566d5167998e8dab8ad139/fb09f212.jpg

No US importer for Feinwerkbau that I know of.

caz223
September 28, 2003, 10:04 AM
The best in fun/dollar without going crazy and spending $1000+ on a .22 pistol, I think would be a smith 41.
I shot a really old Hi-standard, and they are not bad, either.

Bullet Bob
September 28, 2003, 10:55 AM
S&W K 22
http://www.fototime.com/6BFCC99E049CE56/standard.jpg

High Standard Trophy (Hamden CT model)
http://www.fototime.com/CD2CAC00F5521ED/standard.jpg

1948 S&W K22 with tapered barrell (5-screw)

http://www.fototime.com/F7E1472C356247B/standard.jpg

S&W model 41
http://www.fototime.com/52A374FBF05BE17/standard.jpg

S&W Model 18
http://www.fototime.com/F07DADF879F4964/standard.jpg

Colt Officer's Model Match (1957)
http://www.fototime.com/848D8825A5458E8/standard.jpg

Colt Woodsman (1969)
http://www.fototime.com/74E52DAAD681485/standard.jpg

S&W Model 617, 10 shot, aluminum cylinder (top gun)
http://www.fototime.com/38A1B636D531C8B/standard.jpg

Can you tell I like .22's? For about $300.00, a used S&W Model 17 or 18 is a screamin' deal, in my book. For that price, you can get one in near new condition, and the fit and finish are fantastic. For new shooters, I think revolvers are the way to go, but many experienced shooters do not share that opinion.
http://www.fototime.com/848D8825A5458E8/standard.jpg

hksw
September 28, 2003, 11:24 AM
Whoops, forgot about Nygord (importing Feinwerkbau).

Detritus
September 28, 2003, 03:58 PM
High Standard Trophy (Hamden CT model)

BoB you're KILLING me here!!!! ~drool~

too bad the Texas/houston guns seem to be absolute trash!! sheesh if i could get one with REAL High Standard quality from that place (i live an hour from the head-office/factory) i'd be al over it.

but having learned to shoot handguns using a 68 vintage Citation.... i'm afraid i expect anything with "High Standard" on it to be just that made to a HIGH STANDARD!

and on the question asked, if you don't mind it being used a Hamden or Hartford made High Standard is getting up there amoung the top of the line fit finish and accuracy wise.
though if you think a Buckmark is "magazine picky" you do NOT want to lose the factory mag in a HS! :what: but since the factory mags are well-built this isn't much of an issue for most folks.

Mastrogiacomo
September 29, 2003, 04:14 PM
I had considered a Walther P22 and still may as I hear good things about the gun but I think I might lean to the S&W 617 first. I did use the Ruger Mark II -- great gun but I didn't like the mag release and wouldn't want to assemble the gun after cleaning....

SnWnMe
September 30, 2003, 09:41 AM
K-22/M-17s

highlanderherb
February 15, 2010, 11:43 AM
January 18, 2003, 03:45 PM
The best I ever shot was Hammerli and Walther free pistols for precision target shooting. For just hitting a target, little could compete with them.
Kentucky Rifle
January 18, 2003, 03:52 PM
But I really like my Walther P22. It's inexpensive, reliable, (at least mine is) and the accuracy has WAYYYY exceeded my expectations. (And mine is the short barrel version!)

Well, see that the 16 click per turn, match grade bull barrel and tight trigger of a Browning Buckmark Target get ya yet? No Contest. Even has the most upgradability of the "Mid" priced 22's!
I hit a 1 " piece of tape covering my previous holes from 40 Ft. and thought I'd missed! Nope- Just shot them through the same hole. Ask my concealed carry instructor! Mr. E. Rannebarger of OH. :)
Now, buying a Colt Trophy. A former USMC man's dream!

NelsErik
February 15, 2010, 02:45 PM
I must be missing something, the OP asked for the best 22 cal. pistol on the market in terms of fit, finish, and reliability...

and people mention Walther and Buckmark??

The answer is easy...

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Freedom_97-22/Mvc-003f.jpg

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Freedom_97-22/Mvc-020f.jpg

FREEDOM ARMS

I don't there is a nicer .22 out there...

searcher451
February 15, 2010, 07:24 PM
There's nothing at all wrong with mentioning the Walther line. You just have to do better than a P22 (which isn't a Walther anyway). A Walther GSP or OSP will take you direct to the front of the class.

http://www.carlwalther.com/osp.htm

http://www.carlwalther.com/gsp.htm

The Free Pistol isn't a bad choice, either:

http://www.carlwalther.com/images/fp_rt_1.jpg

Comanche180
February 15, 2010, 09:02 PM
I can't afford guns for 2 grand each and fit and finish aren't all that important to me. I have a Ruger MkII and Buckmark Camper that I am putting hundreds of rounds through weekly and they are very good shooters and have very good triggers without replacing any parts, and they are only a small notch behind the S&W41 with 7" barrel that I also shoot. I shoot bullseye with all three and keep getting better so the guns are not the limiting factor yet.

But I am not putting down those expensive pieces and the guys who shoot them.

wobble
February 15, 2010, 09:35 PM
What is the best 22 cal. pistol on the market in terms of fit and finish, reliablity, accuracy?

I'll use it only for target practice. I have other pistols in larger calibers and assualt rifles for HD.

I had the same objectives as you when I bought my Ruger Mark III Target and Ruger Single Six revolver -- and have never looked back. Great guns, great quality, and great shooters.

highlanderherb
February 15, 2010, 10:24 PM
I assumed it was an out of the box auto. My bad. That revolver is reliable and easy to care for. Good weapon.

RonBernert
February 17, 2010, 11:56 AM
I have to agree with Wobble.. My uncle had a Ruger MkII that I shot many a round thru.. When it was time for my own, I bought the very first MKIII 22/45 I had ever seen. They just got it in, it was stainless, and I was in love. I think it was 1995?? A few years later, I bought a used Ruger Super Single Six Convertable with .22WMR and .22LR cylinders. I have more than a "couple" of guns.. EVERY time I go shooting, one of the two are with me, and the last shots are ALWAYS with one of the .22's.. buy the best one you can because even though you get more testosterone enjoyment out of the big guns, the .22's ae just SO MUCH FRICKING FUN to shoot! and they cost less to do so...... BTW- My 22/45 has been disassembled maybe 4-5 times the whole time I have owned it. Twice because I have lent it out and it comes back in pieces due to the borrower "doing me a favor and cleaning it".. Keep the barrel and action clean, and you will NEVER have a misfire.... Gotta go- I hear a box of .22's calling!!

lexjj
February 17, 2010, 01:58 PM
My wife and I are basically in love with our Ruger Mk III Hunter. It is pretty - stainless steel and cocobolo grips. It is stock but topped with a Simmons Pro Hunter 2-6x scope.

It shoots great. Here is my 25 yard, rested, target using Federal Gold Match ammunition.
http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp12/verbaljitsu/008.jpg
Here is my wife's target. (I edited her name out of the picture).
http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp12/verbaljitsu/012-1.jpg

I didn't even bother to re-sight in the scope. I had two magazines of the Federal Gold Match, and two magazines of the Eley Sport left. I took the Federals and gave the wife the Eley's. I don't normally shoot that expensive stuff. We mostly shoot Federal Auto Match. It comes in a bulk pack of 325 and runs about $14.

I'm confident the gun can shoot more accurately than I can. I'm planning to add a Volquartsen trigger and sear to it. The only negative with my setup is that the pistol is really heavy for shooting offhand. Perhaps later in life I will get a 22/45 and maybe even a PacLite upper, and then mount a red dot. That sounds about right.

Al LaVodka
February 17, 2010, 09:06 PM
+1
Al

welldoya
February 17, 2010, 09:15 PM
The OP didn't specify a price but I'm guessing that most people don't want to shell out $1500 for a .22 handgun.
FOR THE MONEY, I can't think of a better gun than a Ruger MKll. Particulary the KMK512. I also love the S&W 17 and Colt Woodsmans , particularly the Match Target.
Now, if the question is REGARDLESS OF PRICE, I'm sure you guys who have experienced the higher end target pistols know what you are talking about. I've never had any experience with them.

Erik M
February 18, 2010, 05:19 PM
Revolver: K22 or a Single Six

Automatic: Beretta NEOS or Walther P22 5"

herbie1
February 18, 2010, 09:13 PM
I have a Ruger MarkIII hunter and I am pretty happy with it.

Dont' have any of the others mentioned.

Here is a link to some .22 eye candy:

https://www.volquartsen.com/category/11-mkiii-conversions/6-mkiii

H.

f4t9r
February 18, 2010, 09:14 PM
Browning makes a great pistol

dogspit
February 18, 2010, 09:29 PM
Here's #1 Pistola in 22
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/dogdpit/ramline.jpg

bhp9mm
February 19, 2010, 12:37 AM
what i like is the ruger mark II in autos and the smith and wesson 617 in revolvers

PT1911
February 19, 2010, 12:43 AM
I will have to say the smith 41.. I dont own one as I cannot justify paying 800 bucks for a 22 pistol, but I think it is definitely one of thebest out there... I like my p22, but will not claim it has mark III, buckmark, or 41 accuracy or even close...

fwiw... revolvers are not pistols... they are revolvers....

In a revolver, the smith 617 is damn hard to beat.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
February 19, 2010, 01:33 PM
Depends on the budget - probably a Hammerli, Walther, etc. if cost is not an issue.

Mid-range: SW 41, used High Standard, or Izhmash 35

Low-end: Browning Buckmark (unless you were born with 3 or 4 arms, each equipped with hands - in that case, the Ruger will work for you - you will need that many arms to disassemble/re-assemble.)

I must be missing something, the OP asked for the best 22 cal. pistol on the market in terms of fit, finish, and reliability...

Yes he did - he didn't say anything about revolvers. :p But I agree, the Freedom Arms is the way to go, if he regards revolvers as a subset of "pistols". :)

otcconan
February 19, 2010, 02:40 PM
Ruger Standard, Mk II, or Mk II. If not that, Browning Buckmark.

If not THAT, Ruger Single-Six.

otcconan
February 19, 2010, 02:43 PM
I'm having a tough time justifying another 22 pistol since my Mk II is serving my son & me so well. Accurate, reliable, pain in the butt to field strip & fun to shoot...what more can you ask for?

Yep, it is a pain in the ass to field strip. I can't even get my trigger control assembly out. But hell, I just spray some WD-40 in there and it functions fine no matter what.

I'd just like to get it out so I can remove the bolt and clean that.

KMO
May 28, 2010, 09:03 AM
For fit, finish, & reliability, +1 for the Ruger Mark III Hunter...;)

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk26/kbmoffitt/Mark_III_50_Yd011b.jpg

springwalk
May 28, 2010, 12:07 PM
If you dont have $2000+ to spend then the Hammerli 208 & other european target pieces are out of the question. If your budget is around $1000 then I'd suggest an older SW 41 or High Standard in excellant condition. If you dont want to spend much more than $500 then I'd say find an excellant condition Ruger MK 1 or 2, not the lawyered up turd 3. Otherwise the Buckmark is a really good unit for under $500.

SwampWolf
May 29, 2010, 03:15 PM
Best for fit, finish and reliability? Another vote for the Smith Model 41.

03Shadowbob
May 29, 2010, 04:14 PM
The best (that I can afford at the moment) for me is either the Ruger Single Six or the Ruger MK series either II or III. I just picked up this beauty which is a MK III 60th anniversary and I feel that it is well worth the money and fit finish and looks, hands down, beter than most out there. Sorry for the so-so pics.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s113/BJCWALL/guns/Ruger60thMKIII001.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s113/BJCWALL/guns/Ruger60thMKIII007.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s113/BJCWALL/guns/Ruger60thMKIII006.jpg

aka108
May 30, 2010, 09:58 AM
Guess I'm old school but nicest finished and some of the most accurate handuns are the S&W K-22, the old Colt Woodsman Series or the old (not the new) High Standard semi-autos. They will cost you a few bucks but I'd rather have one of them than two or three newer ones for the same money.

oldfool
May 30, 2010, 11:49 AM
all the really good/great choices already named
relative to price ranges, of course
I cannot afford the really high end stuff, but most joe-average folk will be real well pleased with any Buckmark or Ruger MK
(don't shoot my 10" bull barrel MKII much, just 'cause it feels like cheating)

but my heart best loves S&W k-17s, got two of 'em
(hey, Sam Colt thunk his gun was a revolving "pistol")
:):)

SASD209
May 30, 2010, 09:54 PM
Well, for revolvers I have the Ruger Single Six (with the additional .22 Mag cylinder) and my newly acquired Walther (who really makes it, anyway?) P22 pistol. Very happy with both.

For a bit more info (not to take it OT), I also have a Walther G22 and a new Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 for rifles. I'm so happy with these that my new GSG-5 is being shown the door...

gbw
May 30, 2010, 11:38 PM
I've with the other geezers above (assuming they ARE geezers)...

I've owned or shot most. For anything less than high end competition I'd choose a High Standard Victor. But as has been noted, it would be a used older model in mint condition. They are hard to find and not cheap, but worth it. Be careful, there are newer HS models which are not even a poor comparison.

Older model (Springfield) S&W M41 a very close second, more a matter of preference than any objective disadvantage.

I've never had any of the revolvers shoot as accurately as the autos.

I've not shot the Ruger target models, so I don't know about them. I do own a standard MKIII which is fine, but not in the same class as the HS or S&W guns - nor does it cost as much.

LeontheProfessional
May 30, 2010, 11:46 PM
I have the Buckmark Camper and really love it. For $300 it is impossible to beat. The trigger on them is incredible.
http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz360/lukedrylie/BrowningBuckmark.jpg

gbw
May 31, 2010, 12:50 AM
Forgot the old Browning Medalists. I've never owned or shot one, but they have to be about the prettiest package out there. Used only.

noskilz
May 31, 2010, 09:54 AM
Holy Double Thread Resurrection, Batman! :evil:

In the spirit of thread resurrection etiquette, we should only discuss .22's which are at least 7 years old. :neener:

Taurus 617 CCW
May 31, 2010, 09:56 AM
I saved my pennies for the Ruger Mark III stainless 5" fluted barrel. I have never regretted purchasing it. Colt Woodsman would be a very high up there contender for the best .22 in my opinion.

MCgunner
May 31, 2010, 10:28 AM
Hammerli's are nice, but I have a Ruger budget. Ruger's good 'nuf. The Smith 41s are out of my league, too, but they sure are accurate. The one I've shot, breath on the trigger and it goes off. I couldn't get used to it, being a Ruger kinda guy....:D

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the best 22 cal. pistol on the market in terms of fit and finish, reliablity?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!