M4 Handguards: Free float vs non-free float?

PDA

MP-44
June 13, 2009, 11:40 AM
How big of a difference in accuracy and POI shift do the non-free float make?

What type handguards do the M4s issued to our troops have?

If you enjoyed reading about "M4 Handguards: Free float vs non-free float?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tdowell
June 13, 2009, 11:45 AM
Unless they are specops who can setup a firearm the way they like it and have acually requested the option, the military uses non free float hand grips. As far as I know I don't know of any combat ready weapons that use free floating hand grips. My info is a little behind the times so some may, but I've never heard of it. for the average shooter, there shouldn't be much difference at all. A Match shooter will use free floating hadgrips to pickup maybe 1/8 to 1/4 MOA on a match rifle, not much more then that though.

maskedman504
June 13, 2009, 11:52 AM
Free floating is touted as an accuracy increase by allowing improved barrel harmonics; to the lay man, with an AR or any other semi-auto, this could be approaching theoretical accuracy. For match shooters with bolt actions, the application is generally more worth while.

Your experience may vary.

FlyinBryan
June 13, 2009, 12:29 PM
we changed out our plastic handgards to freefloat tubes and did see an increase in accuracy.

its hard to estimate how much.

maybe 3/8 to 1/2" @100yds

what i did notice more than anything is that with the 5 shot groups we normally shoot, more times than before, we will have 3 or more holes touching.

they do help accuracy.

if its worth it to you to pick up a quarter to a half moa, then it would serve you well.

If you enjoyed reading about "M4 Handguards: Free float vs non-free float?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!