Gun Laws!

PDA

marlonsr45
June 15, 2009, 12:40 AM
I live in Milwaukee, Wi. and I'm not very clear on the gun laws of this state.It seems like the more people I ask about the gun laws the more confused I become, so I'd like to post my question to this panel. My question is, can the average citizen apply for a carring permit? Is it legal for me to obtain a permit to carry my firearm in the state of Wi? If so what are the limits if any and where do I go to apply for that permit? What should I be doing, are there classes that I need to attend? Please share your thoughts in this matter thank you for your time... Marlonsr45.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Laws!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
6_gunner
June 15, 2009, 12:55 AM
Welcome to THR!

If memory serves correctly, Wisconsin is one of only two states which does not issue a CCW permit. Illinois is the other. There is no way to legally carry a concealed firearm in either state.

It is legal to carry openly (i.e. with a holstered handgun visible on your belt). However, it is not generally accepted and will almost certainly result in you being harassed by police who are either ignorant of the law or refuse to uphold it.

On the positive side, there is a growing open carry movement which seeks to educate citizens of the laws and to make them more comfortable with the presence of firearms at the sides of law-abiding citizens. Hopefully, one will soon be able to exercise one's rights without fear of harassment.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. All I can do is encourage you to help change the situation by writing to your representatives and joining as many pro-gun organizations as you can.

Deus Machina
June 15, 2009, 12:55 AM
You can not conceal carry a firearm in Wisconsin.

Open carry is legal, but I am unaware as to the limits of where you cannot and you're likely to be hassled for it.

BigGuy52
June 15, 2009, 01:07 AM
Gun laws are very strict in Wisconsin and Illinois, a bummer I know.

Check this web site and it will tell you all the laws for your State.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_(by_state)

zoom6zoom
June 15, 2009, 01:11 AM
One of the best sites for checking on laws is www.handgunlaw.us
There is also a state-specific forum on www.opencarry.org - it will let you see what others in your area have experienced, and what's going on.

marlonsr45
June 15, 2009, 12:27 PM
I thank all members who took the time to write back concerning my question about gun laws in Wi. I'm very sorry to hear that I can't as a law abiding citizen have what the constitution promises in the 2nd amend. I will do some research and begin writing who ever I need to try and perhaps one day change this or move to a state that let's it's citizens have what the constitution promises them. Once again thank you all, marlonsr45 out.

texas bulldog
June 15, 2009, 12:48 PM
marlon,

you are right to be upset about the state of gun rights in wisconsin. please use this experience as a lesson that you should be more involved gun rights issues in your state. i know that i would love to see shall-issue concealed carry make headway in wisconsin, even if i never live there myself.

some resources you should look at:
wisconsin concealed carry association (http://www.wisconsinconcealedcarry.com/)
WRPA - wisconsin rifle and pistol association (http://www.wrpa.com/)

good luck, sir.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Laws!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!