We may have a new range in Louisville, Kentucky

PDA

hnm201
October 20, 2003, 02:46 PM
Not sure of the best place to post this, but I just receive a newsletter from Julie Yeager of Ray's Indoor Range via snail mail today. It looks like we may have at last an indoor range once again in Louisville Kentucky! Wh000t!

here's the pdf:
http://dombosco.home.insightbb.com/SportShootersRange.pdf

If you enjoyed reading about "We may have a new range in Louisville, Kentucky" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
garrettwc
October 20, 2003, 03:31 PM
This is very interesting news to say the least.

It is certainly more convenient for me both from work and home.

The attachment lists the location as 1st and College streets downtown. Any idea what building this is in? The only building I remember at 1st and College is an old car wash inside the quanset hut. Maybe it's on the opposite corner. I'll have to drive by one night this week.

Hijinks
October 20, 2003, 03:34 PM
:cool:

4v50 Gary
October 20, 2003, 03:41 PM
And in May you'll have a new gun museum too. The Frazier Arms Historical Museum (or something along those lines). Lucky Louisville.:)

El Tejon
October 20, 2003, 04:50 PM
Good news for Louisville. Been through a bunch back in my emmagee daze and spent a long weekend during an interview after grad skul.

Louisville is gun country. Should prosper.:)

Logistar
October 20, 2003, 05:50 PM
I drove by it at lunchtime today. There is a sign up already. I was very excited when I heard the news.

It is a LONG way from where I live now. (Over twice as far as Knob Creek.) -Not in the "best-looking" part of town. A lot depends on how it "ends up" but I doubt I will get another membership there.

Hopefully things will turn out well for everyone else.

Garrettwc, if you happen to drive by it, let us know what you think.

Logistar

Spark
October 20, 2003, 09:52 PM
Cool, right down the street from my house. I see more range time in my future.

garrettwc
October 21, 2003, 09:38 AM
Garrettwc, if you happen to drive by it, let us know what you think.

Will do. I'm going to try and get by there tonight on the way home.

garrettwc
October 22, 2003, 12:41 AM
OK, as promised I stopped by there tonight on my way home, went around the block and gave the building a good going over. Here are my impressions.

Decent building, brick, about 30 years old at least but has been updated. The building is long and narrow, like a shotgun house. Glass windows and door on the front. Steel walk-in door and roll up door in back. Small parking area in back fenced in with gate and barb wire across the top.

The attachment in the original post said there would be 8 lanes open and then 5 rifle lanes later on. IMO the building is not wide enough to support 13 separate lanes. 5 of the original 8 will be dual purpose. And things may still be a bit crowded.

The attachment also said the attached parking lot would hold at least 20 vehicles. I could only see three sides of the building from the street so I am wondering if the fenced area in the back goes down the opposite side. If not, then we are talking about 20 Geo Metros. You stick a couple of pickups or a Suburban in there and the parking is going to be tight with 10 cars in there. There is on street parking down one side of the building if you don't mind feeding the meter.

If the parking lot in back is the only parking, then there are some security issues. If they leave the back door of the building open (it faces the alley) there will need to be someone on it to allow members in and make sure there are no uninvited guests looking to make a quick score. If the back door is closed for security, then you will have to walk into the alley, around the fence, and 1/2 block down the side of the building (no windows) to the main street/entrance. No one in the store or driving down 1st street would see you until you made it to the front. I for one would be glad I'm packing between the car and the entrance.

To make a business succeed, you have to have a good location. This is not it. So I have to ask myself, will the range have enough state of the art equipment and/or training opportunities to make me want to do down there? If they do have the equipment, how long before it gets run down and broken like Ray's was near the end (new name - same management)? Will they be around long enough for me to get my $225 worth?

I'm no expert on range design or management, let's make that clear. These are just my impressions as a shooting consumer, and they are curbside impressions at that. Take them for what they are worth. The inside may make up for the outside, but I will have to see it first.

BluesBear
October 22, 2003, 02:22 AM
Interesting that Ray and Julie are assuming the Sport Shooters name. Sport Shooters was the name of the original range on Kiln Court, in the Brickyard Park that Ray later bought after the three original partners went bellyup.

When Ray bought the business he bought all of the assets including the Detroit bullet traps originally installed in the original Sport Shooters.
The rifle traps that Sportshooters later installed in Room 1 were noted for letting some rounds "escape" out the real wall of the building. :what:

I wonder if he is just reinstalling the same equipment from Ray's Indoor into this building? I know that area well and I wouldn't want to park there. :uhoh:

Best of luck to y'all. The Derby needs a good range. Last few times i was in Ray's I just wanted to cry. Sport Shooters was such a class act, but...... :(

Kentucky Rifle
October 22, 2003, 09:59 AM
So, where is this place? I'll go have a look too.

KR

garrettwc
October 22, 2003, 08:04 PM
So, where is this place? I'll go have a look too.

KR, it's on S 1st Street at the corner of College St. If you know where the Thornton's gas station is at the corner of 1st & Broadway, it's about a block or block and a half down on the right. Red brick building with a canvas Sportshooters sign hung on the front of it.

Chris Rhines
October 22, 2003, 08:22 PM
The Frazier Arms Historical Museum (or something along those lines).

Frazier is going to be incredible. I can't wait. :cool:

- Chris

Logistar
October 22, 2003, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the report Garrettwc!!! My original post wasn't so.... favorable but I quickly edited it because I thought I was a bit too negative.

I just "passed by it". Didn't have time to really look. But I just don't feel "comfortable" at that location. I will NOT leave a vehicle parked on the street there. I would have to see the parking lot when they get done I guess.

I am really afraid that this location will not work for them. I REALLY HOPE I AM WRONG. We'll see. I do appreciate someone starting a range back up here though.

The ONLY time I have ever touched my CCW (while carrying) was close to this location. I don't need/want the hassle. My CCW is to help get me out of trouble but I will try my best to avoid it first.

"Hey man, I need $5, my baby's sick."
"Hey man, for $10 I will keep an eye on your truck so nothing happens to it." :what:

- keeping my fingers crossed....

Logistar

garrettwc
October 22, 2003, 11:46 PM
by Logistar
My original post wasn't so.... favorable but I quickly edited it because I thought I was a bit too negative.

Logistar, I was worried about the same thing with mine. I read it several times before clicking the submit button. What I realized was that most of what I was saying were simple facts, and where it was opinion, I said so clearly.

Is it negative? Yes. But the facts are what they are, and I would have been doing the members of this board a disservice if I tried to put a "positive spin" on what I saw.

I had an experience similar to yours in front of Kosair hospital. Sitting in car waiting for friend to come out -

Hey man, I'm no bum. You can believe that. My car is broke down on the expressway (I had just came off the ramp where he said his car was, nothing there) and my wife and babies are sitting up there stranded.

Told him I couldn't help him while easing my right hand under the cover garment.

Mr. family man shared some "new words" he had learned since car broke down :cuss: threw both hands up in frustration then turned and walked away.

BluesBear
October 22, 2003, 11:57 PM
Let's hope that the glass in the new range actually IS bullet proof.

Y'all did know that the old range had only safety glass didn't you?
:what:

lawcox
October 23, 2003, 12:01 AM
I know this is about the new Louisville range, but I thought you Kentuckians would like to know about the new indoor range in Lexington also. It's just off New Circle Road on the north end of downtown, at the end of an industrial park. The range facilities are super nice, and the shop there is great. The guys there are top notch. They're also the official Glock law enforcement distributor for the state of KY, so there are plenty of Glocks on hand.
Can't remember the name of it, it's been about a month or so since I stumbled onto it while visiting my girlfriend in KY, but if I can find their business card, I'll post it.

Island Beretta
October 23, 2003, 03:27 AM
A couple of years ago I used to shoot at Ray's..they are round by Kiln's Court. Also used to shoot in the Louisville Practical Shooters League.. I did not know Ray had closed down. If so then it would be good to have a new range as that area is dry on ranges.

So does anyone know if the League is still going and if so, where they meet?

Logistar
October 23, 2003, 05:23 PM
garrettwc, that can happen anywhere but there are some locations (like the one's we were at) where it happens quite frequently. - and they seem to be getting "more aggressive" at it in recent years. Maybe I am just getting older but I don't feel like being hassled anymore.

lawcox, I think this is the range you are talking about.

http://bluegrassrange.com

Nice range. (Brand new... opened earlier this year... they are yet to have their "grand opening".) Nice area. Nice people. Prices seem reasonable. They told me if I "needed anything" just ask. I got the impression that they might accomodate things other than those stated in the rules but not certain about that.

Other than the drive, it's hard to beat. In fact, as it stands I will probably be driving to Lexington every six weeks or so to shoot my handguns. (Rifles will go to Knob Creek.)

I will check out the new Louisville Range though when it opens.

Logistar

lawcox
October 23, 2003, 11:34 PM
That's the one Logistar, thanks!

I loved that place!
Normally, I go to an indoor range called Firepower in Charlotte, NC, but I'll probably get over to the one in Lexington about every three months or so. Should be at Knob Creek in April.

Kentucky Rifle
October 24, 2003, 09:24 AM
The range is located at the edge of the Smoketown area. JUST where I wanted to go practice. I'd rather drive to Lexington.:mad:

KR

garrettwc
October 24, 2003, 01:02 PM
The range is located at the edge of the Smoketown area. JUST where I wanted to go practice. I'd rather drive to Lexington.

KR

But KR, think of all the opportunities you'll have to try out your self defense training. :evil:

Logistar
October 24, 2003, 03:31 PM
But KR, think of all the opportunities you'll have to try out your self defense training. KR, you'd better check first to see if that qualifies as "range time". ;)

- might boost ammo sales though.

garrettwc
November 5, 2003, 11:23 PM
BTT.

Was just watching the news and saw something that made me bump this thread. Louisville Metro PD just released the FBI crime statistics for the preceding 12 months.

Any guesses which district posted the highest per capita numbers for major crimes? :(

BluesBear
November 5, 2003, 11:53 PM
Louisville Metro PD
Lemme guess......

Since I moved away from Louisville in June 1999 I really haven't kept in touch.

Am I correct in quessing that the Jefferson County Police and the Louisville Division of Police finally merged?
:(

Alas it was only a matter of time.

garrettwc
November 6, 2003, 08:29 AM
Entire city and county government merged this year Blues Bear. Signs at the county line now read "Welcome to Louisville Metro". And the recently elected mayor is .....(drumroll) Czar Jerry Abramson.

Kentucky Rifle
November 6, 2003, 11:09 AM
A couple of days ago, while at the polling place, I met a LEO and asked him if there was a good civie range he could recommend since Ray's had closed. He replied, "I didn't even know that Ray's had closed". I explained to him where the "new Ray's" was going to be~~and he just stared at me. He thought maybe I was pulling his leg. After he realized that I was indeed serious, he replied--"Hell, you NEED a gun just to get TO the new range"!:mad: He was serious, but it struck my funny bone anyway. After I stopped laughing, we talked about 9MM pistols. (I had noticed that he was carrying a 9MM duty pistol.) I thought it was a done deal that all Cops carried .40 S&W (in Louisville), but it's not.

KR

garrettwc
November 6, 2003, 11:56 AM
I thought it was a done deal that all Cops carried .40 S&W (in Louisville), but it's not.

Depends on whether he was LPD or JCPD before I think. One of the officers from my area (former JCPD) carries a P220 in 45ACP.

BluesBear
November 6, 2003, 04:02 PM
Stu, the afternoon talk show guy on WWKY (at least he used to be) always called him "Mayor-for-life-Jerry-Abramson" like it was all one word.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. How the mighty have fallen.
Dare I even ask who the new Police Chief is?

Well I guess there's no more problems in the Toy Tiger parking lot then is there? :evil:

garrettwc
November 6, 2003, 04:29 PM
Well I guess there's no more problems in the Toy Tiger parking lot then is there?

Nope. But that's because it hasn't existed for a couple of years.

Dare I even ask who the new Police Chief is?

Can't remember the guys name and don't know much about him other than what was on the news. The old chief was fired and a new one brought in after some office involved shootings, and the resulting flack.

Rev. Louis Coleman approves of the new police chief if that tells you anything.
:scrutiny:

Darrin
November 6, 2003, 07:28 PM
All this talk of Louisville is making me miss my home town. I may have to plan a trip up there soon to meet some of you folks!

Kentucky Rifle
November 7, 2003, 10:43 AM
I'm so old that I remember "The Toy Tiger" as "The Whole Thing Lounge". I even remember going to "Flarity's" (probably spelled THAT wrong) St. Paddy's day celebrations across the street. ~Anybody old enough to remember the Patio Lounge at the Mall? (Man! "Oldfarthood" has sure crept up on me.)
It was a little nuts to do, but in those days I always took my revolver off and stuck it under the seat of my "Roadrunner".

KR

BluesBear
November 7, 2003, 04:00 PM
The Patio had all you could drink on Tuesday night for $5. A lot of my off duty friends went there on Tuesday. The Bartenders there would lock up weapons for you if you wanted them to. A lot of the waitress from the restaurants in Oxmoor Mall would come there for the wet t-shirt contest. :what:

Ahhh the old days.

But do you remember Admiral Benbow's?
Or the Mouse Trap?

If you enjoyed reading about "We may have a new range in Louisville, Kentucky" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!