Ivory Grips

PDA

Blain
October 20, 2003, 08:32 PM
Where can one get these and how much would they cost to buy/have made?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ivory Grips" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
October 20, 2003, 08:46 PM
To protect elephants embargos have been placed on ivory, and as a consequence only a small amount of it can be legally imported. This being the case “real ivory” grips are very expensive. To be more precise I’d have to know what gun you had in mind. A number of companies make grips out of various plastics, some of them of which consist of an epoxy base with ivory dust.

The following link will take you to two well-known companies that offer both kinds.

Ajax Custom Grips, Inc. www.ajaxgrips.com

Eagle GRIPS, Inc. www.eaglegrips.com

Blain
October 20, 2003, 08:57 PM
Elephants? FORGET about the elephants, man!

Standing Wolf
October 20, 2003, 08:58 PM
I'm not sure where you'd go for real elephant ivory stocks—grips are made of plastic or rubber—but you might also want to look into woolly mammoth ivory. I've seen some on knives. It makes elephant ivory look like plastic.

Blain
October 20, 2003, 09:02 PM
LOL, where is the wooly ivory found at?

Bullet Bob
October 20, 2003, 09:11 PM
Mostly in Siberia - Roy Fishpaw has some; he can make grips out of any natural suitable material, including ivory, if you can stand the cost. His work is perfect; you have to ship your gun to him for a perfect fit. Oh yeah, there's a one year waiting list.

CWL
October 20, 2003, 09:15 PM
I think that your best luck will be contacting existing gripmakers for ivory slabs as they are keyed-in to the few suppliers left around.
You might also want to try knife-making suppliers on the web.

It will be pricey for either ivory or fossilized ivory though. My last check for 1911 grips were over $300/pr.

Hal
October 21, 2003, 12:00 AM
http://www.boonetrading.com/

pmbiker
October 21, 2003, 12:05 AM
http://www.burnscustom.com/shop/showcat.php?cat=Hand+Gun+Stocks

Second set down:cool:

Mike Irwin
October 21, 2003, 01:34 AM
I have a set of grips for my Model 28 from Boone Trading Company.

Inexpensive, at $28, and they look NICE!

They probably will require a little fitting to your gun.

Unfortunately, I didn't fit mine correctly and ended up breaking a small piece out of the grip where it was riding on the frame. Sigh...

Johnny Guest
October 21, 2003, 11:46 AM
- - I set out to do me up a "Parade Rig." Had a matched pair of Colt National Match (pre- Gold Cup) pistols. Ordered a pair of flower carved holsters with matching two belt set and double mag pouch, from Oliver Ball in Fort Worth. Picked up wide and narrow silver-and-gold four piece buckle sets in Matamoros. The crowning glory was the ivory stocks - - Two matched pair from the elephant tooth, made for me by a fellow in Houston. I don't want to think what the whole rig cost me. I DO recall that the stocks were $150. (For both pair.) Of course all this took place in 1973--74.

Well, I was a bit sheepish about wearing the entire rig. Only did it once, in fact. Ended up selling the holster rig but kept everything else. Both pistols are in the safe. One pair of the ivories was scrimshawed and are the primary stocks for my weddings-and-funerals pistol. The other pair went into a drawer until a couple of weeks ago, when I put 'em on my daily carry Commander. Wearing it now, and it looks pretty good . . . .
;)

Best,
Johnny

SouthpawShootr
October 21, 2003, 12:14 PM
There's a guy that goes to local gunshows around here, last name is Self. Business is called Self Made Grips. Does excellent work with Ivory. IIRC he made some Ivory grips for my dad's 1903. Cost about $300. Does excellent work and also uses wood for those not wanting to spend the price of the gun to get nice grips. Haven't seen him last 2 shows, though. Don't know if he's on the web. I think he'll do minor gun repair/fitting on certain models too.

Ivory grips look nice on some guns, but the Ivory is far too expensive for my taste.

mtnbkr
October 21, 2003, 12:17 PM
For what it's worth, Giraffe leg bone, properly dyed, looks a lot like mammoth ivory. Cow bone, properly dyed and polished, looks almost like ivory. The pieces I've seen on knives looked better than ivory to me.

There's also the teeth of various animals as a substitute for ivory (walrus tusk works, IIRC).

Chris

Keith
October 21, 2003, 02:31 PM
There's also the teeth of various animals as a substitute for ivory (walrus tusk works, IIRC).

Walrus tusks ARE ivory, no different than elephant tusks. I've got walrus ivory grips on both my Kimbers. Ivory is just teeth, period. A few critters (elephants, walrus, narwhal, mammoth, etc) have teeth big enough for grips and items like that.

Contact Boone Trading for information on ivory grips. You never know what they'll have in - right now they have Narwhal advertised on their web site! They'll make whetever you want and at reasonable cost. Standard 1911, 1911 compacts, Ruger revolvers, etc, start at $150. They only advertise elephant ivory, but if you ask for mammoth, Narwhal, Walrus, etc, they'll make them of that ivory - the cost may vary depending on availability.
And they'll make grips for other less popular guns, though you'll have to send them a set of grips as a model and the cost will be higher.

They are good folks, if something is wrong they'll make good on it.

Keith

mtnbkr
October 21, 2003, 02:45 PM
Walrus tusks ARE ivory, no different than elephant tusks. I've got walrus ivory grips on both my Kimbers. Ivory is just teeth, period. A few critters (elephants, walrus, narwhal, mammoth, etc) have teeth big enough for grips and items like that.

I guess I meant a substitute for "traditional" ivory since to most people ivory=elephant.

Chris

Keith
October 21, 2003, 02:49 PM
"Traditional" ivory here is walrus!

Keith

Cactus
October 21, 2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Guest:
One pair of the ivories was scrimshawed and are the primary stocks for my weddings-and-funerals pistol.

Weddings and funeral pistols. :cool: Ya' gotta LOVE Texas!:D

MatthewVanitas
October 22, 2003, 12:53 AM
I was very keen on getting a basic-grade set of 1911 grips from Boone Trading ($150 or so), then I bought a Sistema...

Decided that it didn't make sense to put $150 grips on a $275 pistol, so I bought a set of bone grips from Spresser Knife Works. He usuall "jigs" them to look staglike, but made me a plain set for $50 or so.

They look great, feel great, and have held up fine for a few hundred rounds. Time will tell. One had a very minor (not through) crack, and he offered to replace that one if the flaw should damage the grip.

I've been meaning to put up photos of my grips for months now, hope to do so before too long.

Re: walrus, etc: does walrus, narwhal, etc. cost more or less than elephant? I believe Boone also had good deals on oosik (fosilized walrus penis), for those seeking the truly conversation-starting (or stopping).

Mike Irwin
October 22, 2003, 12:56 AM
"A few critters (elephants, walrus, narwhal, mammoth, etc) have teeth big enough for grips and items like that."

Hmmmmm...

I've got two coworkers who must be one of the aforementioned critters...

Biggest damned teeth I've ever seen...

Time to pick a fight and knock out a tooth or two!

BigG
October 22, 2003, 08:54 AM
OK, you've piqued my interest. I have a really nice blued Colt 45 Auto that would show off with some ivory stocks, but first a few questions, if you please.

I looked at the Boone Trading site, and noticed they have good prices on the real ivory grips. But there are three price/quality levels related to "grain." The pics are not good enough to see grain, if there is any. What exactly is grain in regard to ivory? Are there multicolored streaks in the structure of it or is the surface left rough like driftwood or perhaps stag? Also, I noticed there was no checkering on the ivory available. Is the material too soft or weak to stand up the the checkering?

The faux ivory grips - how do the checkered ones look? Again, the pics are a little small for these old eyes. :uhoh:

I know, a lot of questions, but you did pique my interest!

Keith
October 22, 2003, 12:31 PM
"Grain" refers to whether you are buying the expensive outer enamel part of the tooth or the cheaper inner (dentin?) part of the tooth.
The enamel is flawless white while the inner part of the tooth has a faint "grain". Both parts are equally hard and durable and will take checkering, etc.

The only difference is that if you are going to have the pieces scrimshawed you'll want the grainless enamel portion.

If you are not planning to have them scrimshawed, just get the cheaper "grained" ivory since (to me) it looks more interesting. Over the years the ivory will yellow from absorbing oils from your hands. The grains will become more apparent and the whole grip will take on that "old ivory" patina.

Keith

October 22, 2003, 04:39 PM
I passed on buying a couple of old tusks when I was in Saudi. They were about three inches at the base and aound 2 feet long. I could have bought the pair for ~$2500. Couldn't think of any real use for them other then hanging on the wall to piss off the enviro-wackos...:neener:

Almost forgot - my daughter has a 1st model Colt Det. Sp. 100% engraved with ivory grips and the wife has a 1903 Colt .32 with ivory grips. Both done a very long time ago.

Keith
October 22, 2003, 05:02 PM
You can buy walrus tusks bigger than that and for less money. The natives take hundreds of them every year and plenty of big tusks just get found on the beaches in Western Alaska.
You can probably google up a set or two if you wanted them.
There are some weird laws surrounding sea mammal parts, but you can still buy and sell this stuff. A big walrus tusk looks just like an elephant tusk and the ivory is identical - at least it would take an expert with a microscope to tell it apart.

Keith

Firefighter
October 22, 2003, 06:57 PM
http://www.eaglegrips.com/materials.htm

Firefighter
October 22, 2003, 06:59 PM
if you like scrimshaw check this out

http://www.sidryan.com/scrimshaw.html

maytom
October 22, 2003, 07:15 PM
Old Fluff, thanks for the links!! I like the prices at Ajaxgrips!!;)

Firefighter
October 22, 2003, 07:23 PM
my wife gave me some Eagle Secret Service fake ivory J frame grips for my birthday

Keith
October 22, 2003, 07:28 PM
Old Fluff, thanks for the links!! I like the prices at Ajaxgrips!!

You realize that those are plastic, right? For $50 more ($150 vs $100) you can get real ivory from Boone or other places.

Keith

Old Fuff
October 22, 2003, 07:30 PM
Maytom:

Yup, and besides the grips they make they also carry other maker's lines, as well as pistol magazines and a lot of other stuff.

Firefighter
October 22, 2003, 07:44 PM
can you post a link to Boone's ?
btw my dad lived in Kodiak for a few years...I was born in Bethel, Alaska and raised in North Pole

Keith
October 22, 2003, 08:05 PM
http://www.boonetrading.com/

Keith

Keith
October 22, 2003, 08:14 PM
Oops, just realized I looked at the prices of Eagle grips when the reference was to Ajax grips.

But ANYWAY, Eagle only sells plastic "faux ivory" grips starting at $100. Ajax sells plastic OR real ivory - plastic starting at $40, real ivory starting at $350!

So, if you want ivory, I'd say go to Boone Trading. They're less than half the price of Ajax - $150.

Keith

Firefighter
October 22, 2003, 09:08 PM
Thanks..I think Eagle & Ajax are the same because my wife ordered the grips from Eagle and they came from Ajax

maytom
October 22, 2003, 11:19 PM
I currently own a 6 1/2" stainless Ruger single-six and to tell you the truth, I think the Black Buffalo horn grips would look great on this revolver!!
Real Ivory grips would look super on a custom revolver, but they cost much more than what I would like to spend for my little .22 Ruger!!;)

http://www.eaglegrips.com/images/materials/buffhorn2l.jpg

Lone Star
October 23, 2003, 10:08 AM
Elephants are endangered in only some countries. Others have too many, but still can't cull the excess and readily export the ivory due to the CITES treaty.

Oh: keep in mind that real ivory eventually cracks. Randall Made Knives won't even use it anymore, unless someone brings in his own piece and insists.

Lone Star

BigG
October 23, 2003, 10:57 AM
How do the faux ivory panels hold up in terms of appearance and durability?

I say this having a set of black micarta panels on my Delta Elite. Look pretty good but pretty easy to tell its bakelite/some sorta plastic.

Keith
October 23, 2003, 12:34 PM
keep in mind that real ivory eventually cracks.

Ivory will NOT crack if you use it! Ivory will only dry out and crack if you put it in shadow box or something like that for years at a time and just look at it. If you handle ivory it absorbs oils from your hands and will last as long as any material, certainly longer than wood.
I collect eskimo ivory and some of the pieces I have are hundreds of years old and still in fine shape. Since I don't handle them frequently, every year or two I rub a little mineral oil on them so they'll last many more centuries.

I think Randall Knives is using plastic instead of ivory because it's cheaper, not because plastic is more durable.

Keith

If you enjoyed reading about "Ivory Grips" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!