''Degrees'' of CCW? .....

PDA

P95Carry
October 20, 2003, 09:28 PM
I usually carry only one gun .... and more likely than not no spare mags/speedloaders. But then my area is not too heavy on threat as a general rule. Comfort is a factor.

Tonight, more as an excercise and having put P series in Bianchi sho rig ... decided to add snub, OWB at 5 o'clock. Wasn't especially uncomfortable but got to thinkin how as we add guns and ammo .. we do in fact have to ''suffer'' a greater degree of discomfort ...... added to which, probably comes a greater challenge to maintaining 100% concealment.

Just now and again I do add a 2 mag holder on belt ... but that's rare.

Check out the poll if you will .... I am interested to know what proportions of us do what ... and why!! Oh and, just to increase info feedback .. two categories for your personal frequency of carry... I carry 24/7.

If you enjoyed reading about "''Degrees'' of CCW? ....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Alan Fud
October 20, 2003, 09:46 PM
Carry whenever I legally can -- that's usually 16x7 (don't carry while I'm sleeping but do have a firearm within arm's reach in a V-Line (http://www.vlineind.com/html/home.html) strongbox bolted to the floor under the bed). I usually carry only one firearm on my person with one reload on me and another reload in the car. If going on a long trip (2-3+ hours travel time one way), I usually carry two guns.

Zak Smith
October 20, 2003, 10:04 PM
Since my work doesn't allow carry, that counts out 8-10 hrs per day. Otherwise I try to carry when I'm going out.

The normal package is a BHP in a Sparks IWB or OWB with an extra mag and a Surefire E2e.

Edward429451
October 20, 2003, 10:14 PM
Carry legally whenever I can.;)

No space for 'sometimes two' (or three!) so went with single w/mags as is the case most times. Not 24/7 since she stopped letting me bring em into bed with us.:-) but somethings always on the nightstand and the 870 is extremely handy.

I've tried the dual mag pouches and don't like them for concealment. I went to two single pouches IWB which is more comfortable and highly more concealable.

P95Carry
October 20, 2003, 10:41 PM
I'm thinking ...... I should stop using this ''24/7'' notation :rolleyes: ... it's tad absurd cos I do, like most, take the thing off at night.

I should perhaps rephrase when I say 24/7 ... using that to mean ''availability'' ..... and close availability at that .. not in a closet a drawer etc .... but at hand even if not on the person.

For me at night, as I have mentioned before .... it is on the floor ... a mere drape of right arm out the side of covers and I am on it .. no fishing in drawers .. no having to get up and grope .. it is there .... at hand.

That is quick .... and it is to all intents .. not visible to the casual observer either.

Skunkabilly
October 21, 2003, 12:54 AM
One gun and two mags unless I'm getting pho and/or boba, then it's Hong Kong carry.

fivepaknh
October 21, 2003, 03:56 AM
One gun w/one reload every time I leave my house. This includes work even though it's against policy. What's under my clothes is none of their business and they don't provide protection at work let alone to and from. At night I don't have anything within reach while I'm sleeping due to small children in the house. I gotta get one of those quick access gun safes. How much are they?

ranger7
October 21, 2003, 05:43 AM
P95CARRY said,
"I'm thinking ...... I should stop using this ''24/7'' notation ... it's tad absurd cos I do, like most, take the thing off at night."

There are some (one, at least, that I know of) who truly do carry "24/7" or extremely close to it. I'm not at liberty to disclose the details.

Tamara
October 21, 2003, 06:48 AM
It ain't winter yet, so I can't say "More than two!" with 100% honesty... ;)

P95Carry
October 21, 2003, 09:03 AM
It ain't winter yet, so I can't say "More than two!" with 100% honesty... I was hoping you'd reply Tams ... sorta what I expected to hear!!;) :p

cool45auto
October 21, 2003, 10:23 AM
One gun, two mags, 24/7

Marko Kloos
October 21, 2003, 10:43 AM
I carry two guns...a primary carry with at least one spare magazine, and a backup pocket gun (KT P32) with one spare magazine.

Car trunk contains a milsurp beater with 200 rounds on bandoliers. Glove box contains 100 spare rounds of JHP for main carry gun.

Excessive?

Perhaps.

The likelihood of needing any of that gear is small, but I reckon I'll be glad it's all there if I ever *do* need it.

manwithoutahome
October 21, 2003, 01:06 PM
More than one:

.45 IWB strong side
.9mm IWB weak side
.357 5.5" shoulder holster
.357 snubby Right ankle
.38 snubby left ankle
P40 small of back
.32 right pocket
.22 left pocket

:D, not really, just did this one time to see how many I could "carry" at once. Okay, so I was bored.

P40 w/extra mag
Sometimes .22mag right pocket

M

TonyB
October 21, 2003, 02:23 PM
Carry everywhere except work(to and fro though)....Sp101,357mag,strong side.......speedloader in left front pocket.......just changed my carry load to 357mag Hydro-shok's...for the winter.:cool:

Standing Wolf
October 21, 2003, 06:21 PM
I don't carry in the house, but always do everywhere else for the same reason I always keep a spare tire in the trunk of my car, along with a flash light, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, spare pack of cigarettes, and lighter.

Zach S
October 21, 2003, 08:22 PM
I spend so much of my time with tools and cars, I rarely carry. But when I do, its a single with an extra mag on me, and a few more in the car (two wilson mags with JHPs, two GI mags with hardball in the glovebox)

Texas Bob
October 21, 2003, 08:52 PM
Very seldom carry only one, I've seen to many examples of "well known" firearms BREAK in the last 30 yrs, sometimes with agonizing consequences.

WvaBill
October 21, 2003, 10:24 PM
I usually carry only one gun .... and more likely than not no spare mags/speedloaders. But then my area is not too heavy on threat as a general rule. Comfort is a factor.

I used to just carry the combat load for the same reason. As I started observing where I spend most of my time, I realized I might ned some fire for cover. This is very rural area with a very few crimes which usually occur out of sight of all except bg and gg. Ad very little cell coverage and 30-60 LE response times:eek: ...dang I need to carry a gun in vehicle. For reasons stated above, I depend on 2m HAM radio for ECOMM.

Ala Dan
October 22, 2003, 01:45 AM
I carry two guns legally where ever I can!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Gabe
October 22, 2003, 06:12 AM
Primary: USP40C

When possible. . .

Backup: Colt Python Elite (stainless 6 inch) + 2 speed loaders

30 rounds total

C.R.Sam
October 22, 2003, 01:15 PM
Not unlike a Limey description of motorcycle controls.....

Wherever or whatever, a weapon will "come readily to hand".

Or two.

Sam

MoNsTeR
October 22, 2003, 03:42 PM
Where's the option for "never"? :o

P95Carry
October 22, 2003, 03:55 PM
Where's the option for "never"? Didn't think to include that one!! Guess I assumed non-CCW's would not be posting in this thread.

Border
October 22, 2003, 05:17 PM
One when not at work. (At work if I am at another job or site). Two at the ready at home under the nightstand drawer. I'd be EXTREMELY surprised if I ever needed to use a gun-even more so if I had to actually shoot it, so I rarely have carried a back-up unless maybe if I am going to my favorite jazz club near the projects. I confess that guys who never so much as take a dump without being strapped with a gun and two backups make me "nervous" and if they regularly advertise that fact to the public, even more so as I think that presents a negative "Rambo-can't-wait-for-it-to-happen" mentatlity and defeats the point of concealed! I saw a guy in the gun store the other day in full "SWAT Team" type garb and no, he was not LEO! Got all wound when a friend accidently bumped him! :uhoh:

P95Carry
October 22, 2003, 06:27 PM
I saw a guy in the gun store the other day in full "SWAT Team" type garb and no, he was not LEO! Hate to say it - and might even ruffle some feathers but ........ IMO these guys give the rest of us, average Joe CCW's, a lot of potential bad press.

''Discrete'' is way to go ... and not scare the livin ***** outa everyone else. There's good concealed carry ........ and there's - much as you put it ... the ''Ramboesque'' approach.:rolleyes:

I think we mostly agree that carry usually does (and should) ....... play down the aggression factor .. avoidance of trouble etc ... and for that I rather doubt that high profile SWAT type gear is overly necessary?!

Carrying more than one ain't a problem at all per se .... provided it is with discretion.

ARperson
October 22, 2003, 07:13 PM
The everyday carry always has a reload with it.

Occassionally, two, though the second rarely has a reload with it.

But my better half carries all the time too, so does that count as 3! :cool:

m.i.sanders
October 22, 2003, 09:37 PM
I pretty much carry every where I legally can 24/7. I usually only carry one gun, but if it's the p32, I'll carry an extra mag.

Scoob
October 22, 2003, 11:52 PM
Generally just one gun and one or two reloads. Sometimes the Kel Tech is thrown in as second gun.

makarov1989
October 25, 2003, 10:05 PM
One gun, no extra ammo. I should but I don't.

FireInTheHole
October 25, 2003, 10:53 PM
Gah.
more than two=mall ninja

Hutch
October 27, 2003, 07:58 PM
Usually just the one J-frame. If I'm going to be out and about, I'll holster a 3" K-frame and a speedloader or two instead. If I'm going to go spend some quality time with gunny friends, I may do something whimsical, like my 3" 629. On those very rare occasions when I'm really going off the reservation, it's usually a Wundernine w/ spare mag and a J-frame in the weak side front pocket. Given that, I had no clue how to respond to the poll.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "''Degrees'' of CCW? ....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!