New Cabela's Traditional Hawken

PDA

Dave Markowitz
June 20, 2009, 05:35 PM
The other day the BBT dropped off a new Cabela's Traditional Hawken for me. No, the pics aren't backwards, this is a left handed rifle.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c340/davemarkowitz/Cabelas_Trad_Hawken/cabelas_hawken_left.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c340/davemarkowitz/Cabelas_Trad_Hawken/cabelas_hawken_lock.jpg

It's a .50 with a 1:48 twist. I'm hoping to take it out tomorrow and run some PRB through it. I'm also planning to try some conicals eventually.

It's almost a left handed Lyman Trade Rifle, which is what I have wanted for a long time but isn't offered. Both the Cabela's rifles and the LTR are made in Italy by Investarm. The main difference between the Cabela's and the Lymans are the addition of the cap box and the double set triggers on the Cabela's guns.

Range report to follow.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Cabela's Traditional Hawken" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mykeal
June 20, 2009, 05:37 PM
Very nice gun. Too bad it was put together backwards.:D:evil:

Dave Markowitz
June 20, 2009, 05:58 PM
:neener:

Ginormous
June 20, 2009, 06:17 PM
Too bad it was put together backwards.

That is a firearm for those in their right mind.

It's always good to see nice weapons made for "the rest of us". :cool: I look forward to your range report.

madcratebuilder
June 20, 2009, 08:15 PM
Nice looking rifle, pretty wood on it. Seeing a lefty is strange.

Ratdog68
June 21, 2009, 02:12 AM
Very nice lookin' rifle you have there !!! Congrats on it !!

jmaubin
June 21, 2009, 02:16 AM
It's not backwards, it's so one can shoot two of them at once.

higene
June 21, 2009, 06:32 AM
They're just jealous. Everyone in the world is born right handed. Only 10% of us overcome it.

I have a left handed flintlock and I really like it. I have been shooting right handed guns all my life so I have adapted pretty well. In center fires I like neutral guns, Winchester levers, single shots and bottom ejects like Browning .22s (in addition to left handed bolts).

With black powder they are only a little prejudiced (the rifle, not the people). With black powder pistols I prefer what is called a right handed gun. A left hander holds it with their dominant hand and cock the gun with the off hand, the right one. I believe that right handers would be more comfortable shooting left handed side lock pistols.

For right handed percussion rifles, a left hander is holding the fore stock with their right hand and it is clumsy for me to use my right hand to cock the the weapon. Reaching with my left thumb is a little clumsy but I am working on it.

Keep the faith and a sense of humor.

Higene

;)

Dave Markowitz
June 21, 2009, 05:13 PM
The weather was nice so I got to burn some charcoal in the Cabela's Hawken today.

Overall, I'm quite pleased. The bore needs breaking in -- the lands are still sharp and I'm getting some cut patches. Still accuracy seems fine at 50 yards, with offhand groups inside ~3" when I do my part.

My load was 80 grains FFg Goex, a swaged .490 RB, pillow ticking patches, Track of the Wolf Mink Oil lube, sparked by RWS caps. I'm looking forward to shooting this rifle a lot more.

bigbadgun
June 21, 2009, 05:14 PM
That is a real piece of work. Beautiful piece.

bigbadgun
June 21, 2009, 05:16 PM
higen I am right handed BUT I shoot long guns left. So I guess am neither in my right mind or left.:banghead:

Smokin_Gun
June 22, 2009, 01:21 AM
Congrads Dave on a hawken that was put together for someone in their right mind ...:cool::D:evil:

Guvnor
June 22, 2009, 07:37 PM
Very nice. I have the same gun in the sporterized version. The fit and finish on them are pretty damn good for the price. Id stick with the Goex, mine hated triple seven. Havent tried pyrodex in it yet.

Deltaboy
June 25, 2009, 03:25 PM
Nice glad to see they are making Southpaw ones.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Cabela's Traditional Hawken" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!