Name that gun!

PDA

StuntHeavy
June 21, 2009, 03:17 PM
A friend of mine is looking for some help. He recently inherited this firearm, but has no idea what it is, and neither do I. Has was appears to be Swiss crosses all over it. My best guess was a K31 that someone had sporterized, but I haven't seen it in person yet either.

Any ideas?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/ChrisFletcher/IMG00024.jpg

ETA: Believe I found it. The picture below was labled as "Sporterized Model 1889" can anyone verify this?

http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/tallen/1889-1.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Name that gun!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
June 21, 2009, 03:52 PM
I was just about to post that it appears to be a Bubba'd 1889 Schmidt-Rubin based on the rear sight, magazine box, and red bolt knob insert.

Certainly not a K-31.

rc

Jim K
June 21, 2009, 08:28 PM
Yep, the Model 1889. That was the earliest, and the weakest, of the Swiss Schmidt-Rubin straight pull bolt actions. The one StuntHeavy pictures appears to have an altered magazine. Originally, the magazine was made so it could be lowered with a side lever; this acted as a "cut off" to allow single loading with the magazine in reserve. The same idea was used in the M1903Springfield, but in a different way.

StuntHeavy
June 21, 2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks gentlemen. I believe the magazine is missing all together (although I have not seen the rifle in person), so I could be mistaken.

It's more of a sentimental piece, than a rifle that will be seeing much range duty. Thanks again guys!

KenWP
June 25, 2009, 08:31 AM
I own one of the 1889 rifles also. It has been rechambered to 30-30 back in the 60s when they imported thousands of them into Canada. Mine also is missing the clip for it and after many years of looking I gave up on finding one. Most 1889s were factory updated to improve the action to the new model standards.
I bought the gun dirt cheap at a auction as they said the action was seized and it was only good for parts. Turned out after buying it I was told by a bald headed guy in the crowd to take the saftey off and it would work fine. They wanted it to go cheap so they never had to do paper work on the rifle to reregister it so selling it for parts does this.

If you enjoyed reading about "Name that gun!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!