Update of an older image (who needs more than ten rounds)

PDA

Oleg Volk
October 21, 2003, 03:34 AM
http://www.olegvolk.net/newphotos/tn4/riots3_s.jpg
The helpful KKK gentleman even provided me with a model release. He is just about perfect for the image, dontcha think...

As usual, suggestions are welcome. I am considering showing more of a person in the foreground and not just the hand holding a gun.

Tonight's earlier version here (http://www.olegvolk.net/newphotos/tn4/riots2_s.jpg)

If you enjoyed reading about "Update of an older image (who needs more than ten rounds)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
chaim
October 21, 2003, 03:50 AM
As usual, suggestions are welcome. I am considering showing more of a person in the foreground and not just the hand holding a gun. Yup, sounds like a good idea. On first look I didn't notice that it was a black hand holding the gun. It looked to me that it was a poster showing the Klan owning a submachine gun. Of course, everyone should have the right to own guns, including the Klan, but my first thought was showing them with a submachine gun doesn't do much for our message with antis and fence sitters. On closer look I noticed the hand holding the gun belonged to a black person, which of course helps the message much better. Showing more of the person may be a good idea.

S_O_Laban
October 21, 2003, 04:09 AM
I'm with chaim on his take, did not catch the black hand right away, took awhile for this to register. Perhaps a different hand, one thats darker? I too thought at first it was the "Klan" holding the gun. Anyway I think your on the right track. Keep up the good work:D

edited for spelling

Dionysusigma
October 21, 2003, 04:18 AM
Good work!

To get the "KKK doesn't have the MP40, the guy they're frowning at does" point across more clearly, why not add a profile of the black guy's face toward the edge? (after "zooming out" a bit, of course)

Double Maduro
October 21, 2003, 04:29 AM
Even after going back and looking I am not sure the hand belongs to an African American. It does look like a womans hand with the frenched nails and all.

I don't think this is a good idea for a poster. It is open to the wrong interpretation. You know, klan guys have manicures. That sort of thing.

All kidding aside, I think this is way to hard for most people to figure out.

DM

Oleg Volk
October 21, 2003, 04:30 AM
Updated above.

Double Maduro
October 21, 2003, 04:32 AM
The second one is better. Is that the same guy, twice?

I still don't like it very much. Can't say why, it just rubs me the wrong way.

DM

Oleg Volk
October 21, 2003, 04:35 AM
Same guy, yes. I originally meant to have the background showing a rioting crowd out of focus and small enough to make it look real. Couldn't find suitable images.

Dionysusigma
October 21, 2003, 04:39 AM
256% better. Except for the exclamation point at the end... a period would do. ('Course, I'm probably just splitting hairs... :uhoh: )

Send a copy of the work to Ruger :D

Oleg Volk
October 21, 2003, 04:49 AM
http://www.olegvolk.net/newphotos/tn4/riots4_s.jpg

Dionysusigma
October 21, 2003, 05:02 AM
Looks great :)

Dilettante
October 21, 2003, 06:57 AM
A collection of pictures taken at lynchings:
http://www.musarium.com/withoutsanctuary/main.html

Many of them are unclear or don't show a mob, but I'm sure that a few of them could be interesting for Oleg (try 27, 34, 38, 49, 51, 67, 73, 80).

Some of these are too gruesome to use without modification. Many of them show the killers mugging for the camera. :barf:

Marko Kloos
October 21, 2003, 08:25 AM
The Good And Decent People of the world keeping their neighborhoods clean....revolting.

I especially like the last three pictures in the series...the decent folk covering the lower body of the lynched negro with a blanket for decency's sake....all the while ignoring the obscenity of the public lynching.

Wasn't it agricola who once stated that "mob rule is the ultimate form of democracy"?

Carnitas
October 21, 2003, 08:31 AM
I dont know if you have to ability to re-shoot the woman, but IIWY I would have had the woman holding the rifle muzzle up forming a visual line/barrier between the woman and the man and the extended magzine framing the text at the bottom.

Joe Demko
October 21, 2003, 10:16 AM
When did the Klan turn in their signature line of bed linens for those mall security get-ups?

Second version with the period instead of the exclamation is better. Consider replacing the MP-40 with something a little less associated with bad guys (Nazis), perhaps a .30 carbine, and show the high capacity magazine. To a non-gunner, it probably isn't all that clear what the weapon the lady is holding is intended to illustrate.

ballistic gelatin
October 21, 2003, 10:19 AM
Checked out the pictures taken at Lynchings....I feel ill. Seriously.

The poster won't really impact todays anti's or undecided.
They don't believe a mob attack could ever happen in todays society, to them or at least in their safe communities.

Quantrill
October 21, 2003, 10:33 AM
I agee that the lynch pictures make me phsically sick in my stomach after looking at only 3. Are the klan guys twins or the same image just doubled?

Quartus
October 21, 2003, 10:52 AM
I would echo the concerns about what appears to be an MP40. A better choice might be a more typical type of firearm, like a Ruger Mini 14 or even and AR 15 (although that may also be too "military").

Another vote for the ranch rifle, for the reasons stated. And one other - it's a subtle "up yours" to Ruger! :D

Yeah, I know, only gunnies will get THAT part. That's okay - inside jokes are good. And I can see somebody working at Ruger 'getting it'.

I'm not sure the KKK model is the right guy - he looks too harmless. Frankly, he looks like a fat boy wannabe. He WISHES he were tough and violent, so he joins a hate group and puts on a uniform so he can THINK he's macho, but in fact he couldn't and wouldn't harm a flea. The KKK guy needs to be more obviously capable of violence. I know that appearances don't mean anything in real life, but they certainly do in advertising, and that's what this is.

George Hill
October 21, 2003, 11:12 AM
Love it.

SoCalGeek
October 21, 2003, 11:33 AM
'm not sure the KKK model is the right guy - he looks too harmless. Frankly, he looks like a fat boy wannabe. He WISHES he were tough and violent, so he joins a hate group and puts on a uniform so he can THINK he's macho, but in fact he couldn't and wouldn't harm a flea.

Isn't that the case with most of the KKK's member base? :neener:

RustyHammer
October 21, 2003, 11:44 AM
... why does she need a high cap for only two guys?

( A field full of them may make the point better ... just my two cents. Also, if SHE can have them, so will they? I'm sure some anti will bring that out when it comes to drafting legislation. )

buzz_knox
October 21, 2003, 11:45 AM
When did the Klan turn in their signature line of bed linens for those mall security get-ups?

I believe it started in the '70s, with the effort to politically rehabilitate the Nazis into misunderstood saviors of the white race.

Mark Tyson
October 21, 2003, 12:04 PM
I think it's fine the way it is. I see you couldn't find an appropriate photograph of a mob or riot. Did you contact any stock photography services? I think it's something worth pursuing.

While the image of the two Klansmen is good, a larger image of a whole group of Klan or neo-Nazis could be better. As someone pointed out, the baseball caps just don't look sinister enough. Some angry skinheads wearing leather jackets and swastikas should drive home the point better.

By the way, what happened to the picture of the little girl standing in front of an armed female(presumably her mother)? Did you choose a better slogan for it yet?

PS: Both of those guys look like Private Pyle to me.

gun-fucious
October 21, 2003, 12:15 PM
lots of parading KKK doods in "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou"

:)

http://www.displaysforschools.com/kkk.jpg

gun-fucious
October 21, 2003, 12:19 PM
http://www.milohistorical.org/historyofmilo/kkk.jpg

SDC
October 21, 2003, 02:05 PM
I think it's a fantastic image, but you can probably "tweak" it to have more impact on the sheeple; I'd like to see a picture of her superimposed on gun-fucious' "cross-burning" scene, with her either holding a Mini-14, or wearing/holding something like a Browning Hi-Power; most people will see the MACHINE GUN (:eek: ) and their brain shorts out right there.

Quartus
October 21, 2003, 02:21 PM
most people will see the MACHINE GUN ( ) and their brain shorts out right there.

Yup. If you are going to reach the mushy middle, you have to speak their language, and you have to take them along slowly.

RANash
October 21, 2003, 02:57 PM
The image you have now (10/21) is excellent! Very powerful.

You do good work.

Oleg Volk
October 21, 2003, 03:00 PM
I need to re-shoot, then. I'll see if I can get a hold of the original model and a Mini14 or an M1 carbine or a BHP. All more than 10-rounders I have are too modern. Model needs a more scared expression, mob needs to be bigger and less sheepish.

In the meantime, I ought to look at the parallels between carry permits and poll taxes...does anyone have goo dlinks to info on the latter?

Trisha
October 21, 2003, 03:31 PM
Lynching background, wrecked bedroom midground, firearm with gun lock intact foreground (next to empty crib?).

Your current work-in-progress: The Mini-14, YES! Perhaps the female model could be wearing attire suitable for the urban business woman?

VERY good, Oleg.

Trisha

spacemanspiff
October 21, 2003, 03:51 PM
definitely need more of a 'mob' element, not too large however, but enough that one standard capacity magazine could cover it.
what about using a steyr gb? 18 rounds of 9mm sound good to me!

Oleg Volk
October 21, 2003, 03:56 PM
Where would I find a GB? Besides, BHP would be a more "timeless" option -- it would put the timeline somewhere between 1935 and the present.

Keith
October 21, 2003, 03:59 PM
Who are you trying to convince? If you want to preach to the choir, it's fine as is. But, if you want to reach the anti's, you need to give the lady a more "benign" gun!
The image is supposed to create an emotional response and the problem is that the hoplophobes already have a gut reaction to that firearm - the reaction is: "Schmeisser/NAZI/Hitler/Death Camp - Eeeeek!!!!"

Keith

Oleg Volk
October 21, 2003, 04:02 PM
I agree. Need to click some more photos or go through my archives some more.

ballistic gelatin
October 21, 2003, 05:04 PM
Home Invasion Now that's something everyone has heard about. A nice family sitting on the couch watching Disney with surround sound and eating popcorn. Then a dynamic entry team (crack heads or balaclavas) tearing through the front door. Whachya gonna do?

AUTIGER04
October 21, 2003, 05:36 PM
Wheres the pic of the Armed White Woman and The Black Panthers?:scrutiny:
Why is it always the KKK?:scrutiny:

bogie
October 21, 2003, 05:38 PM
I like the image, but I'd replace the weapon with either an AR or a Mini-14...

The last suggestion is also interesting... Show "Beaver Cleaver" family (maybe 2-3 different racial versions...) on a sofa, and in the picture window behind them, we've got goblins... I'll volunteer to act as a goblin.

Oleg Volk
October 21, 2003, 05:40 PM
Why is it always the KKK?

They were conveniently available locally.

AUTIGER04
October 21, 2003, 05:47 PM
Oh Okkk....:D If you say so.;) Farrakhan...:neener:

Erik Jensen
October 21, 2003, 05:57 PM
there are some good white supremesist mob shots in American History X, if I recall correctly..

Keith
October 21, 2003, 06:26 PM
Look What we have here, boys!

Dave Markowitz
October 21, 2003, 07:16 PM
Look What we have here, boys!

LOL!

Excuse me while I whip dis out!

chaim
October 21, 2003, 07:24 PM
Consider replacing the MP-40 with something a little less associated with bad guys (Nazis), I don't know, I think the idea of a Nazi designed weapon being used to defend against their modern day decendants is...poetic.

SDC
October 21, 2003, 08:37 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Consider replacing the MP-40 with something a little less associated with bad guys (Nazis),
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know, I think the idea of a Nazi designed weapon being used to defend against their modern day decendants is...poetic.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That sounds good to me too; maybe someone wearing a yarmulka and a yellow star, against a backdrop of the Nuremburg rallies?

BowStreetRunner
October 21, 2003, 08:43 PM
i like it Oleg!
BSR

BluesBear
October 21, 2003, 09:47 PM
You can't please everyone, so you gotta please yourself. Ricky Nelson 1972

Oleg, you always do great images. Maybe you should hook up with the folks on ProtestWarrior (www.protestwarrior.com)

KT-P32
October 21, 2003, 11:06 PM
Maybe the Jennings 9mm or the Tec 9 for the young lady.:evil:

Mark Tyson
October 21, 2003, 11:55 PM
Wheres the pic of the Armed White Woman and The Black Panthers? Why is it always the KKK?

Because is is politically correct to pick on them. Show a picture of a black mob accosting a white female and all blissninny hell will break loose. We'll look like a bunch of racists. For God's sake make the bad guys white. Do you want to infuriate people or open their eyes?

Quartus
October 22, 2003, 02:09 PM
Bingo, Mark. The objective is (I think) to reach the reachable. That's not the hardcorp antis like Boxer, Kennedy, et al, but it IS the soccer moms and the rest of the mushy middle, and even a few who THINK they are liberals but still have a few functioning brain cells.

But these people operate on emotion. If you want to reach them and jump start those dormant brain cells, you have to reach them on THEIR emotional level.

A black mob threatening a white woman is not going to do it. It's fiction.

The KKK and the lynchings are our history. They are reality. Not everyone knows how bad it really was, but everyone has a vague idea that it happened. And EVERYBODY hates the KKK. Well, except for the vermin that agree with them. Those folks are NOT the target audience.

ballistic gelatin
October 22, 2003, 02:52 PM
How about a car jacking?

Mom is on the ground, crying with her arm raised, symbolizing the desparation she feels at the sight of a thug driving away in her SUV with a toddler in the back seat?

Drjones
October 22, 2003, 04:47 PM
Love it, as usual.

Oleg, your work is always amazing.

However, I agree that a different gun should be used, but I definitely think it should be something that all sheep have been taught to fear; something like an AK or AR.

Drive home the message that such guns can and are used for GOOD in the right hands. :)

AUTIGER04
October 22, 2003, 04:56 PM
Oh Yes, The Klan Are are alive and well in our communities. I see them driving up and down my streets every day. NOT!:rolleyes:

Well then why not post pics of Murders, Rapist (mostly Black Men on White Women), etc :scrutiny:

Travis McGee
October 22, 2003, 05:05 PM
I think the best "need more than 10 rounds" picture would involve a Korean shop owner defending his store from mobs who are looting and burning down the street. I don't know if any stock photos exist that would portray the LA riots that way.

For me, the single pic of a KKK guy in a ball cap, doubled, doesn't scream "I need more than ten rounds!" The KKK guy doesn't even appear to be armed, he doesn't match the "lynch mob" caption.

Matt

Quartus
October 22, 2003, 05:12 PM
Oh Yes, The Klan Are are alive and well in our communities. I see them driving up and down my streets every day. NOT!

The KKK and the lynchings are our history. They are reality. Not everyone knows how bad it really was, but everyone has a vague idea that it happened.

Hmmm. Looks suspiciously like past tense to me.

Of course, anyone who can follow the news knows they are anything BUT gone and forgotten.

AUTIGER04
October 22, 2003, 06:05 PM
Im from the South where are these guys? :confused:

Now, look at the Majority of our prison system.http://prisonerlife.com[/URL] :barf:

Chairman Meow
October 23, 2003, 12:11 AM
Very nice work, Oleg. I'd have to say its one of my favorites of yours. I too like the second version better. That guy is just too perfect for the photo.

extremefishin00
October 23, 2003, 12:42 AM
It's a shame the KKK's gone to mall-ninja attire, all that bed linen they used to wear made them a lot more flammable.

Autiger, one tidbit I seem to remember about the Klan is that they tended to keep their identities hidden so no, you probably won't see them driving up and down the street wearing their full faced dunce caps. Only in the past couple of years have I seen pictures of their marches where the members were going without their masks. Just because you don't see them, doesn't mean they're not there.

Also, I'm not quite sure what you meant by "look at the majority of our prison system."

Chris

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
October 23, 2003, 01:23 AM
How about a backdrop of stock images from recent post-sporting event riots in downtown areas or near college campuses? Folks piling up burning sofas and dumpsters in front of storefronts, smashing plate windows or overturning cars could provide an image that might be useful.

Aren't most rioting hockey fans white males?

Regards,
Rabbit.

AUTIGER04
October 23, 2003, 02:14 AM
Nor do I know of a single person in the "KLAN". My reference to the prison system. Look at the MAJORITY of inmates in them. What race are they?:what: Bye Ya'll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Update of an older image (who needs more than ten rounds)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!