What is the best 9mm carbine for the money?

PDA

jdub102003
June 23, 2009, 11:00 PM
I am fairly new to the idea of a carbine and actually only know of 2 which are the highpoint and kel-tec...So I looking for advice on which one you would want and why. Keep in mind it is just a plinker to bring along to the range(my p-95 needs a sibling) if you know of any other 9mm carbines out there let me hear about them?

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the best 9mm carbine for the money?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jon_in_wv
June 23, 2009, 11:03 PM
There are more and of varying price points, the Beretta Storm CX4, Ruger Camp Carbine, etc..... but none of then outperform the Hi-Point Carbine any appreciable amount nor do they justify costing 2-4 times more than it in my opinion. That is my I bought a Hi-Point.

jdub102003
June 23, 2009, 11:09 PM
Yeah i would like to stay around the $350 range...I have kicked around the idea of getting the highpoint but I can't seem to find any around here...We have alot of the kel-tec sub 2000's around but i really don't like the design at least you can slap and ati stock on the highpoint.

eqfan592
June 23, 2009, 11:10 PM
Ruger made a 9mm camp carbine as well? I have only heard of Marlins before. I'd love to see it, as i love 9mm carbines!

And I'm also with you on the Hi-Point. I have no complaints with mine right now :) Though I may still get a Kel-Tec for the increased mag capacity.

Kar-el
June 24, 2009, 12:01 AM
Having owned a Hi-Point, Beretta Storm, and a KelTec Sub 2000. I will say that the Hi-Point does everything that the others do except for 1) Folding (KelTec) and 2) Looking good (Beretta).

It fell apart the first time I shot it (front sight) but after tightening the sight back on it was my go to gun for teaching newbies. The post and peep sight works well and the recoil is very manageable. For the $160 I paid for it I rate it a "Best Buy" in 9mm carbines.

However, it still looks like a cheap plastic BB gun.

evan price
June 24, 2009, 06:32 AM
Ruger PC-9 iirc. Also 9mm AR's if you like that. There's a conversion to take a Glock pistol into a carbine.

briansmithwins
June 24, 2009, 10:58 AM
If you already have a Ruger 9mm pistol look at the Ruger PC9 carbines as they take the same mags. The downside to the Ruger is a heavy trigger pull that can't be easily lightened.

After shooting with some guys at our local match that doesn't allow rifle calibers I bought a Vector Uzi.

Advantages are: designed for 9mmP from the ground up, compact even if you don't SBR it, easy to SBR (I'm waiting on my Form 1), looks evil, spare parts and mags are available and cheap, and it has a retro cool thing going. It's also surprisingly accurate, mine gets 4MOA groups and the range adjustable sights make hitting targets at 200 yards doable. Did I mention that the Uzi is built like a brick outdoor lavatory?

The down side is that there just aren't any real good ways to mount optics on an Uzi and it is heavy. OTOH, a 8lb 9mmP weapon has almost no recoil which makes it a great training tool. BSW

Ditchtiger
June 24, 2009, 11:02 AM
I think the best 9 carbine is a Mech-Tech upper on a Glock frame.

rondog
June 24, 2009, 11:32 AM
I have a High Point 9mm carbine, and their .40 carbine. Both are wonderful plinkers, but ugly as hell. I highly recommend them, if you can find one.

Ex-MA Hole
June 24, 2009, 11:41 AM
My Kel-Tec is great. Functions 100% of the time, accurate, and (relatively) cheap to shoot.

It's also nice to be able to fold it in half and have a rifle that will fit into a backpack for hiking, or a range bag without having to bring another bag....

theotherwaldo
June 24, 2009, 11:45 AM
I like my Hi-Point. I've heard that they're about to come out with a better-looking (and somewhat tacticool) stock.

That said, I like my Hi-Point. Just as it is.

federalfarmer
June 24, 2009, 11:51 AM
Uzi. Any ammo, and great reliability. No recoil.
Only negative is price.
Oh did I mention fun?! :evil:

cleetus03
June 24, 2009, 12:37 PM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/Jkingson/DSC05445.jpg

MARLIN CAMP CARBINE 9MM

I just recently found about these carbines and was surprised to see how ergonomic and practical they are. The gun can take magazines from 59-series S&W pistols and apparently will also take Soumi submachine 72rd drum mags.

Does anyone know how much these carbines go on the used market? I've never seen one, but I'd imagine if they could be found used for around the same price as most used Marlin lever guns, then this would be a pretty decent 9mm carbine for the money.

http://www.notpurfect.com/main/campgrp.jpg
http://www.notpurfect.com/main/campgun9.htm

Manufacturer: Marlin Firearms Company
Produced: 1985-1999
Weight: 6 pounds
Length: 35"
Barrel length: 16"
Cartridge: 9MM Parabellum
Action: Direct blowback semi-automatic
Feed system: Detachable pistol magazine
Sights: Fixed, drilled and tapped for scope mounts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlin_Camp_Carbine

arcticap
June 24, 2009, 12:58 PM
The Marlins can range in price from about $300 - $600 or more depending on condition. It's the Marlin Camp 9 that are known to sometimes have the very heavy and stiff triggers and not the Ruger PC-9.
The Marlin also came in .45acp and are known to collect powder residue in the trigger mechanism through the lower receiver because of its wide open design.
On the other hand the Ruger is a very rugged and reliable shooting gun.
The Marlin Camp 9 and the PC-9 have different ergonomics, stock length & stock composition which makes them appeal to different crowds. The Ruger was built for LEO use, and IIRC the PC designation referred to its being a "police carbine". It was also made with a ghost ring set up and in .40 S&W.
I personally prefer the Ruger. But they've been discontinued for a few years and aren't getting any cheaper and or easier to find.
My PC-9 below has an after market scope mount from Jack Weigand. :)

wnycollector
June 24, 2009, 01:22 PM
I own a KT Sub2k in .40. It is a wonderful, reliable and accurate rifle out to 100 yards. I have been looking for a 9mm/S&W mag flavor Sub2k to go along with my S&W 910. I cant seem to find one anywhere for less than $400! I poped into a local mom and pop gunstore and they had a HiPoint 995 for $200 OTD. I'm seriously tempted to go back and pick it up.

Col. Plink
June 24, 2009, 01:38 PM
Tacticalgunarmory.com has 9m & .40 HiPoint carbines for $200

SuperNaut
June 24, 2009, 01:52 PM
I've run across several Marlin Camp 9's and 45's over the years and without exception they have been utter pieces of crap.

I own and recommend a CX4 Storm .45.

Speedo66
June 24, 2009, 04:47 PM
The HiPoint, Beretta, Marlin, Ruger and Kel-Tec are all fine guns.

However, to me, the ability of the Kel-Tec Sub2K to fold in half and be transported in a laptop computer bag trumps all the rest.

I prefer not to visually notify everyone when I go to the range.

JShirley
June 24, 2009, 05:00 PM
I bought the Sub-9, which preceded the Sub-2000.

Good piece. Prices have gone up in the last year, with the recent craziness, but KTs used to be a heck of a deal.

As mentioned, other carbines include:

AR-style Offerings from:

Bushmaster
Colt
Olympic Arms
& others:

Feather
Hi-Point
Marlin
Mech-Tech conversions
Ruger
Uzi

There is a new drop-in Glock carbine conversion stock from H.E.R.A (http://www.lanworldinc.com/Flyer-Lanworld2.gif). SBR license required, unless you get the 16" barrel version.

John

John Parker
June 24, 2009, 05:02 PM
Glock 17 with the shoulder stock making it an SBR. Tons of fun! And only $95!*

*$200 tax stamp not included.

clemsonu0219
June 24, 2009, 05:05 PM
There is a new drop-in Glock carbine conversion stock from H.E.R.A. SBR license required, unless you get the 16" barrel version.

That thing is sweet... first time I've seen it.

Jeremy2171
June 25, 2009, 12:44 AM
I like my Oly 9mm...shoots like a dream and runs on Glock mags.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8973/stuff031.jpg

rangerruck
June 25, 2009, 05:35 AM
If you cannot find a marlin , which can take multiple mags, the best to get would be a kel tec, running glock mags. They will work the best, and you can get the 33 round mags as well.

z28orshoot
June 25, 2009, 05:55 AM
mpa clone

AgentAdam
June 25, 2009, 07:30 AM
You can also legaly install a carbine kit (16" barrel and stock) on a Mac-11 or Glock 17 or 19 easily.

stubbicatt
June 25, 2009, 08:06 AM
There's always the HK94 series, and clones.

indie
June 26, 2009, 08:40 PM
i saw a suggestion for tacticalgunarmory.com for the hi points. If i were anyone considering ordering from them i would google them first. It seems as if people arent getting their orders or refunds or any communication.

I was looking to order from them, but I googled them and definitely not now.

dscottw88
June 26, 2009, 09:20 PM
I just started a thread about this last month. I've decided to go with the Kel Tec Sub 2000.

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=455889

mstirton
June 27, 2009, 09:13 PM
MSAR is going to make the Stg556 in a 9mm and 45ACP I believe. I think they might make it Glock mag compatable and under $1k. The KT S2k would probably still be a better deal if only half the money.

LC '92
June 28, 2009, 03:13 PM
Over the years I've had 3 Marlin Camp 9's. One new and two I bought used. The last one I bought at the Houston Gun Show for $300.00. That was last summer.

It has been my experience that these are well made, dependable rifles. High capacity magazines are everywhere and folding stocks if you wish. Mine wears a red-dot or a laser and is a great plinker and walking around gun. Also a very nice home defense rifle.

Mine have always been reliable, well made, and retain their value well. It is a much more traditional rifle than the Kel-Tecs and doesn't look "black and scary" like them and the AR's or Hi-Points, if this matters to you. To the casual viewer the rifle looks much like a .22.

My Camp 9 lives on a steady diet of CCI Blazers, lead reloads, and any other El-Cheapo 9mm I can find. I feed it Winchester Silver Tips if I'm going hog hunting with it.

Good luck with your 9mm carbine quest and let us know what you decide.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the best 9mm carbine for the money?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!