Cheap way to attach a surefire G2 to my mossberg 590

PDA

DAVIDSDIVAD
June 24, 2009, 01:56 AM
Hi everybody, I have been meaning to get a light for my 590 for a long time, but I just don't want the surefire fore-end (doesn't mix well with knoxx stocks, I've heard), nor do I want any rails besides the ones inside my receiver.

Are there any types of clamps or other cheap ways I can attach a surefire G2 to my shotgun?

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheap way to attach a surefire G2 to my mossberg 590" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RX-178
June 24, 2009, 02:11 AM
I can't really imagine the surefire forend having any effect on the knoxx stocks, but I CAN understand not wanting it. It is expensive, and heavy, and jagged metal that's easy to tear your hands to shreds on. And your average vertical foregrip designed for an AR-15 can break off under 12 gauge recoil. Speaking from personal experiences here.

Look for clamps that attach to the barrel and/or magazine tube, and make sure you can get REALLY tighten them around the light. 12 gauge recoil has a habit of jiggling flashlights out of their rings with a few shots otherwise.

ScareyH22A
June 24, 2009, 03:20 AM
UTG shotgun tri-rail is like $20-$25 and you'll need some basic 1" rings. Ugly? Yes. Will it get the job done? Definitely.

Leadhead
June 24, 2009, 04:21 AM
These guys are new on the scene with a sale going on next month.....looks pretty good.

http://www.candewman.com/default.html

John Parker
June 24, 2009, 05:10 AM
Duct tape. Worked well for years before people started making the thermoplastics! :-D

hub
June 24, 2009, 07:02 PM
How about this made by ATI. I have never seen one in person so I don't know how the quailty is but looks ok. http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-SHOTGUN-FLASHLIGHT-LASER-LIGHT-BARREL-CLAMP-STUD_W0QQitemZ310149978149QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4836611825&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

oneounceload
June 24, 2009, 08:03 PM
Duct tape. Worked well for years before people started making the thermoplastics! :-D

only thing cheaper that blends in is black electrical tape!.......:what:

candewman
June 24, 2009, 08:20 PM
Gorilla tape is black and holds as good or better than duct tape. Thick too.

DAVIDSDIVAD
June 24, 2009, 08:29 PM
wow, your stuff looks pretty awesome, Candewman!

I think I might have to throw the "cheap" idea out the window!

By the way, the banner at the top of your website causes an error unless you click the actual words in the picture

candewman
June 24, 2009, 08:48 PM
Yeah, I gotta work on that error. It's because I use an image map but I'm getting away from that. Thanks for the compliment on the parts, they've been a long time in development to get them right. You'll be able to get the one pictured below for under $40 when it goes on sale in July. You can get one that holds a laser too for the same money. Other options are even less.
http://www.candewman.com/light1.jpghttp://www.candewman.com/lightclamp2.jpg

Floppy_D
June 24, 2009, 08:51 PM
You'll be able to get the one pictured below for under $40 when it goes on sale in July. You can get one that holds a laser too for the same money. Other options are even less.

Cool, there's definitely a market for what you're selling, this question tends to pop up. I think it looks pretty sharp, too!

ScareyH22A
June 24, 2009, 09:56 PM
That's slick! But is there a version with the light spaced away from the barrel/magazine for fatter headed lights? In that picture it looks really close. Ofcourse it looks better that way but I've got a light with a big head on it.

candewman
June 24, 2009, 10:01 PM
Yeah, you can use the railed section to add a TRL-1 or any other clip on light or laser. You can add rings to the rail if you want for larger heads lights. We put together a little sample set up to show what can be done if you want to. You don't have to go that big, but you can. There are so many different ways to use these you'll easily find something that works.
http://www.candewman.com/dblelasersling.jpghttp://www.candewman.com/dblelasersling2.jpg

Dimis
June 24, 2009, 10:41 PM
candew you sir are a godsend in a world of overcomplicated crap i finaly see a KISS design for shotgun lights

i was heavily pondering a mesa tactical design but you may see a check coming your way

SciFiJim
June 25, 2009, 02:37 AM

Dang, someone beat me to it.;)

DAVIDSDIVAD
June 25, 2009, 03:04 AM
Yeah, I gotta work on that error. It's because I use an image map but I'm getting away from that. Thanks for the compliment on the parts, they've been a long time in development to get them right. You'll be able to get the one pictured below for under $40 when it goes on sale in July. You can get one that holds a laser too for the same money. Other options are even less.
Wow, is it like a grand opening sale or something?

That is great; remind me to bump this thread when July rolls around

candewman
June 25, 2009, 12:02 PM
Yup, I want to get a bunch out there and let people see what's available. It's a one time deal. I'm also doing a waiting list by email from the website. The waiting list gets shipped first. No up front money either, just a list, free to cancel if you change your mind.

DAVIDSDIVAD
July 8, 2009, 06:01 PM
Lol, I got really excited, and even made a note in my planner to buy this clamp when it became available.

So I get to the order page today, and read:

Currently only Available for:
Remington 870, 1100
Mossberg 930 SPX

LOL! How could you overlook the 590?

3pairs12
July 8, 2009, 06:08 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=460125

candewman
July 8, 2009, 06:54 PM
I get requests for the 590 and the 500 and the Winchester 1300, all of which have a little different spacing. These are, essentially, a custom fit to the particular shotgun. The exception being that the Remington 870, Mossberg 930 and the Benelli M4 and variants are very close to having the same barrel and mag tube dimensions. I plan on having models for these in September or early fall. There are tooling costs and issues with each new model and I just want to get the 870's out there right now because they are the most prevalent and will pave the way for the rest to follow. I'll keep you posted.

Quoheleth
July 8, 2009, 07:07 PM
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/UNISHO11.aspx
Under $9.00

Also check CDNN's website/catalog.

Q

DAVIDSDIVAD
July 8, 2009, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the quick response.

Yeah, I understand about the tooling and stuff, I was just a little disappointed because I had the new gadget buying giggles, hahahah. :)
I'll still keep an eye out.

Honestly, I'd rather not slap a plastic clamp like that on my shotgun, but I guess I don't really have a choice.

Lincoln7
July 9, 2009, 05:26 AM
How about this made by ATI. I have never seen one in person so I don't know how the quailty is but looks ok. http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-SHOTGUN-FLASHLIGHT-LASER-LIGHT-BARREL-CLAMP-STUD_W0QQitemZ310149978149QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4836611825&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Just mounted my Dorcy flashlight on this thing. Had to glue some rubberband pieces on the magazine tube side of the clamp and it holds wonderfully. I'll post pics when I get home. For the price, decent piece.

Sheepdog1968
July 24, 2009, 01:02 PM
Going through this exact situation myself. Very helpful thread.

KegCommando
July 24, 2009, 04:07 PM
The duct tape reminds me of the first time I saw it done years ago.

I think it was actually Clint Smith from TR.

I almost died laughing. He was talking about having a light, and I was totally expecting some expensive tacticool wizbang with a $200 light and some activation switch, and boom he pulls out his shotgun with the tape and a cheap light. Busted up for five minutes. But you know what, all the saved money can be used to buy shells and get more practice.

AcceptableUserName
July 24, 2009, 04:26 PM
I'm going to chime in and say I believe the only way a light would be useful on a long gun is if you have complete control over it at all times without changing your hand placement. Not having complete control over the light at all times opens a whole host of problems in my opinion.

If you want the light to have fun, great. Clamps are awesome. But in a truly lethal night situation I think you'd be well advised to purchase a Surefire forend (it's a shame theyre the only dedicated forend producers on the market because I believe they're extremely overpriced) or at least use a sensor cord (ugly, but it gives you the complete control I think you should have). I say this because of reasons discussed 923084209840238 times before. A light can be a big advantage or a huge DISADVANTAGe depending on how it's equipped and used.

KodeFore
July 24, 2009, 10:12 PM
Zip Ties,

www.ATIgunstocks.com Mag Clamp Part #SMC100 Works better. 8$ From a gun show, probably a little more online.

PS if you want a really cheap light for HD use, close your eyes and see if you find all the light switches in your home........

DAVIDSDIVAD
August 7, 2009, 10:44 PM
There are loads and loads of pressure switches to choose from, acceptable

Zach S
August 8, 2009, 11:17 AM
I tired several different light mounts on my 590. The remote pressure switch is great, except for the fact you cant really tape the cord down, and it might get hung up on something and tear (happened to mine)

A G2 mounted to the fore end by using a section of rail worked alright (more "shadow" since there's more gun in the way), unless you have your thumb on the button when you fire (hurts like hell).

A G2 mounted to the mag tube is too far forward for comfort (for me), and it hurts like hell too, if you have your thumb on the button when you fire.

And, the one surefire lamp I replaced was in a G2, mounted to my 500. I've carried that same light in my pocket for 6 years or more using the replacement lamp. Shotgun recoil is hell on a hand-held light.

In short, you can try to find all kinds of ways to mount a light without buying a surefire fore end, but a surefire fore end is still the best way to do it. I would recommend the 623FGA over the 623FA though. The master power switch seems like something you can live without, until you live without it...

If I could think of a way to say it without being a jerk, I would, but if you're buying a Knoxx stock to reduce the recoil, you need to toughen up. I'm 6ft tall, weigh 150lbs, and IMO, it ain't that bad. If you're getting it for faster followup shots, practice more.

Dimis
August 8, 2009, 11:28 AM
i agree with the surefire forend light on any model ACCEPT the 590

unless they have changed the design you have to cut off your bayonet lug to fit the surefire

now i know its a silly thing but alot of us who own a 590 own it for the accessories that came with it otherwise we would have bought the 500 pursuader so to lob off a chunk of the gun just for a light is a silly idea

and on surefires part to design a light that you have to cut your gun apart to fit is an even sillier idea

my suggestion for the 590 owners is either go with that new mount posted previously (after its finished) or get a mesa tactical mount and pressure switch with coils because complete control is required for defencive light use

otherwise pick a different gun to mount lights on i personaly will NOT cut my 590 to fit a surefire ill adapt and overcome with a "lesser" design rather than chopping up my baby

Deltaboy
August 8, 2009, 11:45 AM
I saw a guy use shaped wood block for a spacer and 500 pound test zip ties to secure it to the barrell.

Zach S
August 8, 2009, 12:57 PM
chopping up my baby
Its all in how you look at it, I suppose. I wanted a good light, and the bayonet lug that I'll never use was in the way.

I normally mention that the bayonet lug has to come off. Thanks for pointing out what I forgot to mention.

DAVIDSDIVAD
August 8, 2009, 03:08 PM
lol, I love these kinds of threads where the OP states I want X, then before you know it, twenty guys are in the thread saying something along the lines of: "if you're serious about [insert self confidence booster here] you'll buy Y instead, otherwise, you're just having fun with a toy"

Look guys, I'd rather buy a hundred slugs then buy that surefire fore-end.

I'll give you a few reasons why:

1.) I've dumped tons of rounds down range with the hogue fore-end that I currently have on it. I'm extremely familiar with it, and it works extremely well for me.
Why would I add some bulky light that is radically going to change my left hand's grip on the gun?

2.) I, as a 6'3" 200 lb certified dude, use a Knoxx Compstock because it makes felt recoil next to nothing for me.
To be honest, I'm not really worried if other people think I'm tough or not.
If I can buy a cam and spring system that allows me to shoot better after practicing a bunch, than if I'd just practiced a bunch, I'm going to use it.

There are ways to modify the surefire fore-end so that it can be used with a knoxx stock, by the way.

3.) I replaced the bulb in my G2 with an LED. As most of you know, the LED is a solid state light source, meaning it is very tough. I'm betting that the LED could take more than 10 rounds of 12 ga, which is more than I ever hope to use in an emergency.

4.) I guess the Surefire fore-end is worth the money for some OPERATOR OPERATOR that is OPERATING every day of his life, but for me, I'd rather spend the money on ammo. you know.. to practice with.

In actuality, though, Delta boy just set off that little guy in my mind that loves a challenge.
I'm going to try and make one out of wood, hahahah.

If it works well, maybe I'll change my stocks to walnut, lol.

I'll report back next week.

Dimis
August 9, 2009, 12:48 AM
i agree zach its all in what the owner wants
in the end we make our own choices and as silly as it is tacti-cool i do attatch a bayo just for SnGs every once in a while lol so i kept my lug but in the end the 590 is still my home protection plan so it needed a light so mesa tactical and surefire helped me out surefire just ended up doing it in a different way than the forend light

DAVIDSDIVAD
October 3, 2009, 10:21 PM
It looks like Candewman is keeping good on developing a light system for the 590, but I'm not interested in rails.

Here's a metal light clamp thing similar to candew man's system, for the 500/ 590:

http://www.deltaforce.com/catalog/shotgunaccessories.html

chevyforlife21
October 3, 2009, 10:29 PM
just get a metal hose clamp that will work great for 2 bucks.

DAVIDSDIVAD
October 3, 2009, 10:44 PM
Or I could use rubber bands and gum :)

AKElroy
October 3, 2009, 11:11 PM
Or I could use rubber bands and gum

Or, You could get one of these. Midway or Brownells; I think it was $15-$20 bucks. Not fancy, just works.

Lincoln7
October 3, 2009, 11:37 PM
Here is how I attached my Dorcy light to my Mossberg. Just a $12 clamp off ebay. I put a thin strip of rubber between the clamp arms on the mag tube end so nothing moves. Shot some rounds to make sure it all held up. It fared well. I can easily toggle the light with my index finger on the forend.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/Linkstar07/rack1-1.jpg

DAVIDSDIVAD
October 4, 2009, 12:07 AM
Both are great suggestions.

Gato MontÚs
October 4, 2009, 04:57 AM
I also have a Surefire G2 LED but was told that it would not stand the shock of shotgun recoil. This is Surefire's customer service, not some store clerk mind you.

Here's the email:

The G2 LED will not take the recoil. Unfortunately there is no other bazel

Customer Service SUREFIRE
18300 Mt. Baldy Circle I Fountain Valley, CA 92708 I U.S.A.
T 714-545-9444 ex. 2210 T 800-828-8809 F 714-545-9537
------

Does anyone have any experiences that would prove them wrong?

DAVIDSDIVAD
October 4, 2009, 11:09 AM
I've got an LED in mine, not the incandescent, Nasser.

Thanks though

Gato MontÚs
October 4, 2009, 03:59 PM
I've got an LED in mine, not the incandescent, Nasser.

Thanks though

I know, so do I. What I'm saying is that customer service stated that the G2 LED would NOT stand the recoil. Read the email.

I'm thinking that they made that mistake though, confusing the standard G2 with the G2LED when it comes to robustness as I thought LEDs were pretty much shock proof.

DAVIDSDIVAD
October 4, 2009, 04:53 PM
'Doh; thanks for the clarification.

The reason incandescent bulbs fail under recoil is because the filament snaps as a result of the shock.

LEDs are solid state technology, meaning that the diode would literally have to pop outta place ( they're usually epoxied in there quite well) for the LED to fail.

I think that email from Sure-fire is just a "Cover our asses / buy something more expensive" routine.

candewman
October 11, 2009, 09:09 PM
Just as a mention, the G2 body is larger than 1" making it difficult to mount in some scope rings. It is actually 1.030" and .030" can make a big difference. In a Weaver ring, it is very difficult to get it to fit correctly. You would need some kind of a top closing ring such as the one pictured below. A Streamlight Polytac is a good choice because the LED is actually mounted on a bit of a spring. I haven't taken mine apart to see what makes it springy but it does depress when it is installed in the head of the flashlight meaning it should absorb some kind of recoil shock. I used a Cree R2 drop in for the LED in the G2 (saving myself about $15 over the Surefire LED version) but it doesn't have any kind of recoil absorption. Besides, Streamlight has a lifetime guarantee against breakage and the Polytac is only about $40 some places.

You can see here how much of a gap there is which isn't a big deal really but it doesn't fit like the Polytac does in the picture below the Surefire pic below.
http://candewman.com/g2mount.jpg
http://candewman.com/polytacmount.jpg

candewman
October 24, 2009, 03:50 AM
Just an update for the Mossberg owners. The MT clamp is very near being ready. Just wanted to put up a picture so you can get a better idea of what it's about. You can mount a rail on either side or a sling swivel dock. You can even take the barrel off without having to remove your light or laser. I designed it to fit the 590's as well but I don't have one here to try so I can't say for sure.

http://www.candewman.com/mt1.jpg

Zach S
October 24, 2009, 12:09 PM
I think that email from Sure-fire is just a "Cover our asses / buy something more expensive" routine.
I think its "buy something more expensive." They now offer LED fore ends, but they don't have the shock-isolated bezel. Looks like they just cut down a 6P and threaded it into the fore end.

http://www.surefire.com/surefire/content/623LF_large.jpg

DAVIDSDIVAD
October 31, 2009, 02:16 PM
Candew, I find it a little off that you say the G2 is a worse option than the because it doesn't "fit" like the polytac, but then on your website you say you have to "shim" the polytac in there.

What gives?

Personally, I'd rather have something a little too tight than having to "shim" it in there.

Also, I don't think anyone will shed a few tears if I carefully remove .030" from the body of a G2 :D

Deltaboy
October 31, 2009, 02:21 PM
Ugly as sin but SS hose claps work.

candewman
October 31, 2009, 05:25 PM
Surprisingly, I have seen a number of G2's mounted on my MOD-C. It's a great little light especially with the R2 LED drop in. I just can't get the dang thing in there. Yes, the Polytac is a little smaller and requires a little shimming. The clamp is designed for a 1" to a 1.015" light. The clamping slot allows for a nice tight closure on those specs without having to over torque the screws. I have an Ultrafire L2 I've been trying out and it fits great, but I don't like the tail cap clickie because it is reversed from normal. The main reason I like the Polytac over the G2 is, #1 price. It is actually less for the Polytac with an LED than a G2 with a Xenon, which you don't want to use due to recoil possibly destroying the bulb. #2, I like the tail cap clickie on the Polytac that gives me the option of a momentary on or full on just by how much I press it. With the G2, you have momentary on and then you have to twist it to go full on. Other than that, they are both excellent lights.

DAVIDSDIVAD
October 31, 2009, 06:04 PM
I agree about the G2s switch.

Honestly, I think I might go with your advice on the Polytac, if it turns out it's just as bright as the G2 with the CREE LED.

I think the G2 serves very well as a pocket light, but I don't want to be taking the light on and off of my gun every night.

Sheepdog1968
November 4, 2009, 02:35 PM
i agree with the surefire forend light on any model ACCEPT the 590

unless they have changed the design you have to cut off your bayonet lug to fit the surefire

now i know its a silly thing but alot of us who own a 590 own it for the accessories that came with it otherwise we would have bought the 500 pursuader so to lob off a chunk of the gun just for a light is a silly idea

and on surefires part to design a light that you have to cut your gun apart to fit is an even sillier idea

my suggestion for the 590 owners is either go with that new mount posted previously (after its finished) or get a mesa tactical mount and pressure switch with coils because complete control is required for defencive light use

otherwise pick a different gun to mount lights on i personaly will NOT cut my 590 to fit a surefire ill adapt and overcome with a "lesser" design rather than chopping up my baby
I went through this issue with the surefire forend on my 590. Surefire sent me a slightly shorter flashlight bezzel for the foreend. With cautious use of a dremmel tool, I was able to get the flashlight foreend to fit and still have a lug that works. It wasn't that hard or time consuming (few hours at most).

DAVIDSDIVAD
November 4, 2009, 11:35 PM
Whoa, that's cool.

Nefarious79
November 5, 2009, 04:10 PM
"For exceptionally hard-recoiling weapons such as 12-gauge shotguns and larger caliber rifles, where batteries may be damaged by slamming together, SureFire recommends our special shock-resistant battery sticks. These consist of two, three, or four batteries assembled inside a heat-shrunk polymer sleeve, with each battery physically separated from the others by a load-bearing fiber washer, but electrically connected by a welded metal conductor. For low-recoiling weapons, such as 5.56mm self-loading rifles, standard SureFire SF123 batteries function perfectly."

http://www.lapolicegear.com/whybuysufl.html

Zach S
November 6, 2009, 03:54 AM
For exceptionally hard-recoiling weapons such as 12-gauge shotguns and larger caliber rifles, where batteries may be damaged by slamming together, SureFire recommends our special shock-resistant battery sticks.
My 623FA came with two 123s, not the stick.

candewman
November 22, 2009, 01:40 PM
Ok, MT clamps go on sale Monday when the new website launches. It should work on your 590's
http://candewman.com/MT6DS.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheap way to attach a surefire G2 to my mossberg 590" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!